Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New HTPC Builder, need advice

Ok, it is all built, but I am having trouble trying to clean up my cabling, doesn't seem that I can put it anywhere
    I'm a sig.

Okay, so it is all built, but I am very much bummed. Trying to figure out the damn Hauppauge 1800 MCE device. It won't install the latest drivers from teh web nor will it install WinTV (supposedly what I need for clear QAM channels).

Working through the problem, but that is a quick update.
    I'm a sig.

You getting it figured out?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

not yet, I can't get the software to install...and from what I am reading, MCE Vista 64 doesn't read QAM channels......so I am working on it still :*(
    I'm a sig.

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

I found an installation PDF for your card, it isn't that 64 bit Vista won't read QAM channels it's "Vista Media Center" that won't. to work you need to install one of the following : Huappauge WinTV v6 application, or SageTV or BeyondTV

The link to the PDF: http://cache.search.yahoo.net/search...icp=1&.intl=us

Good luck!
    Last edited by howieh60; 08-13-2008 at 08:32 PM.

after research it seems there is a beta plug in for QAM channels on VMC...after I get everything reinstalled I will try that out....still been a chore.
    I'm a sig.

WoW! FINALLY got it all figured out! As of yesterday I finally got Clear QAM channels to work in Vista Media Center! It took lots of research and registry hack to get it done, but now I can enjoy my HTPC!
    I'm a sig.

Cool, care to share how you did it?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Sure, sorry about that This is my post from the hauppauge forums:

Hey all,
    After MUCH research and trial and error I FINALLY got Vista Media Center to recognize my HVR-1800 for both analog and digital! I can now watch clear QAM channels in Vista without issue (no longer need WinTv).

My System:
    AMD 5000x2 black edition
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    4gigs OCZ memory
    320gig HDD
    NEC 3550A DVD burner
    Antec Fusion 430 with LCD display
    Vista Ultimate 64
    HVR-1800

Process (what worked for me):
    1. Reinstall Vista Ultimate 64 and all drivers (NOT HVR-1800 yet)
    2. Update windows
    3. Install HVR-1800 and BETA drivers from Hauppauge USA website (4 gig memory drivers)
    4. Install TV Pack 2008 ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331431,00.asp )
    5. Install Ready Play
    6. Install 2 patches (see link above for all files)
    7. Update windows
    8. Open the registry (run/regedit)
    9. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\HCW85BDA
    10. Add new Folder (key) and name it: Parameters
    11. Add a new string to that and name it: AllowQAM_PowerToy
    12. Make the value for the new string: 1
    13. Restart system
    14. Load Media Center and go through setup
    15. For TV signal, it should find both tuners, when asked for which guide to us, I had several choices, but i went with the digital selection and it worked fine. Some people have tried all the choices to get different results, for this one you are on your own.

I hope that helps all who have a HVR-1800!
    Drayu
    I'm a sig.

That's awesome, thanks!

Spoiler!

Cool! I am planning my first HTPC with pretty much the exact same equipment. I plan on using the same mobo and CPU. I haven't decided on a tuner card yet since I still have not upgraded my cable service and this will primarily be for blu-ray playback. I just got my Fusion and Ninja Mini from newegg yesterday.

Drayu, a quick question, how quiet is the ninja and the fusion? Are you running the ninja with the included fan or going passive?

It is VERY quiet. I run the 120mm fans on low and I don't use the minja fan at all and have had zero probs. My only negative to this build is the placement of the northbridge and pci-e 1x slot. I used the HVR-1800 which is pci-e and it sits RIGHT on top of the north bridge which gets pretty hot.

Make sure you get the imon drivers from their website, don't use the ones on the cd. Cable management is a bitch in this case unfortunately. You will see what I mean soon enough

As for the tuner card, I like the HVR-1800 now that it works. I have had zero probs with quality, and I like the fact that it has FM radio on it as well.

My only issue now is getting more channels in Clear QAM. I have already contacted our Attorney General here in CT for help on the issue. We'll see.
    I'm a sig.

Glad to hear that it is quiet.

I thought that cable management might be a problem when I first opened it. To kinda help that I may invest in a modular power supply but I'll wait and see how bad it is.

modular would be great, hope you find a quality one. Be sure to post pics!
    I'm a sig.