Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for advice on building cheap new PC

Hey guys, looking to build a new PC. I'm on a very limited budget but in sore need of an upgrade. I'm currently running a very outdated dell dimension 4550 system with a ATI radeon 9600se GPU, and a total of 1GB of RAM being the only upgrades to it. So even a budget PC will rock my world, so keep that in mind with your recommendations. I use my PC primarily for gaming. I started my search by looking at the budget system on the leaderboard.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Motherboard
    $96 after shipping

Video Card
    $119 after mail in rebate

Ram
    $38

Hard Drive
    plus Processor $209 combo price from New Egg

Sound Card
    $30

Case plus PSU $58 combo price from New Egg

That comes out to $550. Not a bad budget system I'm thinking. I'd like to save even more if possible. I can also add Vista Home 32 bit for around $100 if I combo one of the items on New Egg. But then I would probably want more than 2GB of RAM. I'm thinking of just using my XP for now.

Any suggestions or advice are very welcome and would much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Edit: After discussion with Vear Heart, this is the final system I bought and price for anyone with the same needs/price range as me.

Mother Board
    $100

CPU $90

Video Card $138

Memory
    $32 after rebate

Hard Drive $50

Case plus PSU $59

Media Drive $25

CPU Fan $32

Total Price: $585 including shipping (this is the actual price at the checkout at newegg.com with $6 rush processing fee for two orders). After the mail-in rebates the total will be $540.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Re: Looking for advice on building cheap new PC

first of all good job on that RAM you picked some great stuff

second i would go with an ATX Motherboard if i was going to build a system like thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131022

that would be a good board and also i would use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103274
    as the cpu and use the extra money for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130359
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127359

if you do that you will be able to play every game at max settings except crysis but even then you can play at Very High without AA and get great frame rates
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

Wow, that EVGA card is only $10 more than the card I had picked out, both after mail in rebates.

Thanks for your suggestions. It's amazing to think I can run any game out there on high settings on a PC that costs less than $600.

Actually you dropped the price to $495. Will that power supply and case do ok with that EVGA card?
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 02:44 AM.

yeah that card is amazing and the only Nvidia card i would buy right now

just so you know Framefrates a less dependent on CPU and more on the Graphics cards and yes i run on a dual core and and i get about 30+fps on crysis very high and 60+ on every other game and i have an AMD athlon 64 X2 6400+@3.2ghz 4 gb of G.skill RAM and a Visiontech hd 4850

i suggest the 4850 BTW but you cant go wrong with either card nor can you with either CPU

Good luck have fun with your new build
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

Yeah I would prefer the 4850 as well if only for the heat problems a lot of reviewers are complaining about on the 8800 (seems easily fixable by increasing the fan speed though). But it's $30 more expensive and when talking the wife into feeling ok about me buying a new computer, every cent counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones40 View Post
    Yeah I would prefer the 4850 as well if only for the heat problems a lot of reviewers are complaining about on the 8800 (seems easily fixable by increasing the fan speed though). But it's $30 more expensive and when talking the wife into feeling ok about me buying a new computer, every cent counts.
    hahawell the heat problems can be fixed on both of them so you should worry about that

but your wife would be more of a problem then the heat

Yes, the wife is formidable.

BTW, you never commented on my case/PSU. Should I take that to mean you think they are sufficient?

Edit:

Just to recap in case anyone else is looking to build an extreme budget gaming PC that can run all the new games:

Mother Board
    $100

CPU $90

Video Card $138

Memory
    $32 after rebate

Hard Drive $50

Case plus PSU $59

Media Drive $25

CPU Fan $32

Total Price: $585 including shipping (this is the actual price at the checkout at newegg.com with $6 rush processing fee for two orders). After the mail-in rebates the total will be $540.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.

great setup BTW everything in there should be of the best quality you can by

ASUS makes the best motherboards IMO

Nvidia really did a great thing with the 8800GT

that CPU i suggested is the one i wish i had bought the only problem is there is no cooler that comes with it but i would suggest you drop that sound card and gethttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

or anyother but that one is the best for the money(and its better then the one i have and you still would have paid less then i did for my cpu

back to the topic of quality parts
    Corsair makes by far the best RAM and is Consistently a good company for support

oh yeah about the case your gonna wanna opt for better airflow but keeping with your price range for a case i found this(with included fanthats a plus for the budget gamer)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147087

and it combo's with the same PSU for 1 dollar more

Quote Originally Posted by Vear Heart View Post

that CPU i suggested is the one i wish i had bought the only problem is there is no cooler that comes with it but i would suggest you drop that sound card and gethttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134
    Drop the sound card altogether? Does that Motherboard have pretty good on board sound or something? Not that sound is overly important to me, but I don't want it to be distractingly aweful. I took it out for now, will see how the onboard sound is before spending money on a sound card.

oh yeah about the case your gonna wanna opt for better airflow but keeping with your price range for a case i found this(with included fanthats a plus for the budget gamer)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147087

and it combo's with the same PSU for 1 dollar more
    Thanks, I edited my above recap post to reflect the changes.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.

the on board sound of most of today's Motherboards is great the only reason you would need a sound card is if you produce lots of music but for game to game your don't really need more then the on board

but there is one last thing when you use on board it takes like 1 fps in comparison to some of the nicer sound cards that may add like 2 fps but the difference is very small in game

Great, thank you so much for all your help.

I went ahead and ordered everything from newegg.com just now. For some reason Tiger Direct wouldn't accept my debit card so I went with this RAM from newegg.com. It's actually a bit cheaper after the $25 mail in rebate and free shipping.

So, it should be here by tues/wed and the real fun begins. I've never built a system from scratch before, but I'm confident I can do it with internet guides and a bit of common sense.

The only part I'm somewhat nervous about is CPU and fan. Will those components come with all the things I need to install them correctly? I've heard talk of tapes, gels etc. I'm just hoping once it's here and I can see it, it will make more sense what needs to be done.

Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know how it runs some time next week.

edit: I'm going to edit the top post to reflect what I actually bought.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Don't want to burst your bubble but you may need to invest in a better power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Don't want to burst your bubble but you may need to invest in a better power supply.

That was something I was considering as well. In the end, the user reviews of the PSU left me comfortable with it's ability to run what I need. I will keep a close eye on it though and upgrade if necessary. I know it will probably need upgrading when I upgrade other parts, or add new components, but I think it's fine for now. Thanks for the comment.

edit: By the way, does anyone know of any good online building walkthroughs? I saw the youtube one a little further down on the page in these forums, and I will definitely use it. But I am looking for something a little more in-depth, specifically regarding CPU and CPU fan installation. Thanks in advance.

Another edit: Is it pretty standard for CPU's to come with thermal compound, or should I get some of that too?
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Uh-oh, I just read the fan specs again, and it says it's for Intel CPU's. This won't work with my CPU will it?

Looks like I need this one or just go with this CPU and drop the fan from the order. Would save me about 30 bucks.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-09-2008 at 07:16 PM.

glad i could be of help but i could have sworn that was the AMD cooler anyway i would go with thwat other cpu because if the other one comes with the heatsink i got with mine you should have some very nice tempareturers considering your CPU is almost half the Wattage of mine