Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Looking for advice on building cheap new PC

Quote Originally Posted by Vear Heart View Post
    glad i could be of help but i could have sworn that was the AMD cooler anyway i would go with thwat other cpu because if the other one comes with the heatsink i got with mine you should have some very nice tempareturers considering your CPU is almost half the Wattage of mine
    Yeah I went with the other CPU. Lost a bit of speed but it runs at such a low wattage and temperature combined with the fact that it cost about $30 less, made my decision for me. Thanks again.

I just discovered that the XP installation CD I was going to use with the new system won't work because it's a dell disk. So I need to get an OS as well. I want to buy an oem version because it's like half price. From my understanding, it's perfectly legal to do so and will work fine, I just won't be able to get any support for the product. Is that correct?

as far as i know OEM is for system builders so there would be more support if i was micrsoft

but yeah go with an OEM from Newegg and or just download a linux distro till you get xp
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

Is installing an OEM operating system just like installing a retail version? This quote from microsoft is a bit puzzling:

How OEM System Builder Licensing works
    For system builders, the licensing process works like this:

* Acquire the Microsoft OEM System Builder License from authorized Microsoft OEM distributors.
    * Preinstall the license onto PCs.
    * Distribute the PCs to customers.

The OEM System Builder License is affixed to the side of the OEM system builder pack for Windows Vista and to the OEM Preinstallation Master Kit for the 2007 Microsoft Office system. By opening the pack, system builders agree to the license terms. See a complete copy of the OEM System Builder License.
    What does aquiring the Microsoft OEM System Builder License mean? If I'm just using it for personal use and not selling it, do I have to jump through those hoops?

I'm just a bit confused here and don't want to jump into anything that's over my head.

I guess if you could tell me how the process of installing an OEM version is different from installing a retail version, if at all...that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones40 View Post
    Is installing an OEM operating system just like installing a retail version? This quote from microsoft is a bit puzzling:

What does aquiring the Microsoft OEM System Builder License mean? If I'm just using it for personal use and not selling it, do I have to jump through those hoops?

I'm just a bit confused here and don't want to jump into anything that's over my head.

I guess if you could tell me how the process of installing an OEM version is different from installing a retail version, if at all...that would be great.
    i have an OEM in my case and it was ordered with like 200 others at the same times to be installed in 200 computers for a school in my area and one of the computers was scratched because of hardware failure(1 in 200 computer failed thats pretty damn impressive) so i got the last one and the guy sold it too me for $50 bucks it wasnt damaged or anything i just got really lucky

and no you dont need to get a license as far as i know and the install was very easy and straight forward(though still not as easy as the ubuntu 8.04 installhell i could surf the web while it was loading the software)
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

Ok, then I will go with the OEM version.

Just to be perfectly clear, here is how I think it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm sorry for all the questions.

1. build pc.
    2. turn on pc and load bios and choose to boot from disk. (I'm hoping I won't have to flash the BIOS)
    3. insert disk.
    4. install oem version of XP with zero problems :P
    5. install my old HDD and copy any games/files I want.
    6. Kick ass on all my games with maxed settings!

Again, sorry for all the questions. You are an amazing help and I really appreciate it.

alot of people here on PCPerare very helpfull when iwas building my own system they were there for me and they will continue to help in anyway they can because they enjoy what they do

i cant help but have the same feeling when i help you or any other person its just that i have alot more experience here in this type of computer where the budget limited
    Last edited by Vear Heart; 08-10-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Well thank you. I can't say it enough. This is a somewhat nerve racking experience when you're doing it for the first time, especially when you are trying to stay under a certain budget. I couldn't have done it without your help.