http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=607

What do you guys think??
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: HYDRA Engine technology - multi-GPU with no strings

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Why didn't anyone think of this before? If this turns out as good as it sounds, this might be one HECK of AWESOME piece of technology.
    God bless you.

Sounds amazing, I had the same thought as the rest. Why hasn't this been done before? Lets hope it makes it to retail and the testing on forums like this one show it to be more than a great idea.
    Main: always changing see my system tab.

HTPC: C2D 4500@stock||2*1Gb Corsair 6400C4@stock||Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Nvidia 630i Motherboard||Onboard HDMI output||||Silverstone GD02 case||Silver NT05 CPU Cooler||hauppauge HVR-1300||Seagate 7200.10 500Gb HDD||Pioneer DVR215BK||Windows 7 Professional x86

Windows Home Server||2*1Gb PC6400||C2D 6300@ stock|| 3*750 GB Samsung HD753LJ Spinpoint F1

This sounds absolutely awesome! I hope it's as promising as it sounds..

But I have one question/concern: How would DX10 & up rendering work with hardware combinations that include both dx10 and dx9 cards?

It would be amazing to be able to use one or two of my older cards in junction with my new one.

Hmm.. now that I think of it, could this also allow the use of 3 or more dual GPU cards, namely 3x or 4x 4870 X2s? As opposed to Ati's CFX limitation of only 2 X2 cards..
    Last edited by fearspartan117; 08-19-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Absolutely amazing. If Hydra can do everything that it claims, these guys are going to be rolling in green. Almost sounds too good to be true though. Imagine pairing a 8800GT with a GTX280 without a performance penalty or a HD4870X2 with 100% scaling. Hopefully these guys remain independent as well and don't get sucked up by just one card manufacurer as Ryan mentioned. If they do, this could seriously impact products development, pricing, or at the very least limit our choices to red or green again if we want a Hydra Enabled Card.
    Last edited by HonestJohn; 08-19-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.4 Ghz.
    SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM / 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics: A Player To Named Later
    Hitachi Deskstar 2TB (2 x 1TB) Internal / External
    Razer Imperator Game Mouse / Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard
    Samsung 225BW 22" LCD / Windows 7 Home Ed. 64-bit

It's more SLI and Crossfire options.

Quote Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
    Absolutely amazing. If Hydra can do everything that it claims,
    I think that just about sums it up (a big 'IF').This all sounds way too familiar in any case... There was a company in the late 90s which had some similar idea. Just can't remember its name (anyone? The name was similar to 'Crossfire' or sthng, not sure what the name was, perhaps had fire, frozen or thunder in the name... anyone? Anyone?)

What I found interesting was the financial backing by an Intel company. That might not be so bad if they bought the technology. I am pretty sure they would love to sell motherboards that can take Nvidia or ATI cards in multiple configurations. In fact the only company I could see minding is Nvidia.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

interesting indeed. especially the low power consumption of the hydra chip. i just hope video card manufacturers can reign in the out of control power requirements of their products. power efficiency has become a big factor in my purchasing decisions. having two video cards that pull enough power to make the normal house socket cry is not my cup of tea.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

When I see benchies Ill beleive it.

And what really intrests me is what someone else already mentioned,combining a DX10 and DX 9 card.

Would a DX10 game work with that combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    I think that just about sums it up (a big 'IF'))
    There's always an "if" when looking at technology that's 6 months or two years away.

Personally, I think what Ryan said sums it up much better and I will choose to remain cautiously enthusiastic as well ...

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=607&type=expert

Final Thoughts

Overall I have to say I was very impressed by Lucid and their HYDRA Engine technology and the potential it holds for the future of scalable graphics. Though the current implementation supports as many as four GPUs they say the technology can scale into the thousands and maintain the claimed linear scalability. Obviously we are months away from seeing a product that we can actually test and beat on to gauge performance and reliability of their claims so any kind of final judgment is at least that far off. For now I remain cautiously enthusiastic about what HYDRA could mean to graphics in 2009.
    Last edited by HonestJohn; 08-19-2008 at 11:05 PM.

People who use SLI and Crossfire could be enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by fearspartan117 View Post
    This sounds absolutely awesome! I hope it's as promising as it sounds..

But I have one question/concern: How would DX10 & up rendering work with hardware combinations that include both dx10 and dx9 cards?

It would be amazing to be able to use one or two of my older cards in junction with my new one.

Hmm.. now that I think of it, could this also allow the use of 3 or more dual GPU cards, namely 3x or 4x 4870 X2s? As opposed to Ati's CFX limitation of only 2 X2 cards..
    I had a similar thought. The colour values of red produced by ATI cards are in fact different from that of nvidia. Thus compositing two images can produce mismatching colours, aliasing, computed z-values etc. For games purposes this could be ok, But then again, some prefer uniformity across smooth objects
    Any industrial use here is thrown out the window...quality first.

All this is great news if it means I can add a Glaze3D based BitBoys graphics card on my PC based Phantom console to run Duke Nukem Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmule View Post
    I had a similar thought. The colour values of red produced by ATI cards are in fact different from that of nvidia. Thus compositing two images can produce mismatching colours, aliasing, computed z-values etc. For games purposes this could be ok, But then again, some prefer uniformity across smooth objects
    Any industrial use here is thrown out the window...quality first.
    Aye, the same goes with programs... they won't always produce the same color even if you set the RGB/CYM to the same values.. and I guessed the same between different brand chips like ati's and nvidia's.

Just wondering but how did you come to the conclusion that I meant mixing ati and nvidia cards? it's partially my fault, though, i never said that I've been an ATi guy since i had a bad experience with a GeForce2 and a Geforce MX440..

I currently have a 3870 in my system and I have a x1600 dust-collector that would be awesome to use along-side my 3870.. and, looking to the future, i could use both the 3870 and x1600 alongside whatever ati card i have then. :P put my old s*** to work and deff continue to get my money's worth lol