Page 65 of 109 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    Oy, Billy O'REilly opines that Sarah would still be an unknown if it weren't for O'Bama.

'About the only thing I would ever give him positive credit for......

If O'Bama wants to win now, he needs to pick up a chick for a running mate.

Setting Hillary aside, who would you pick for him?
    Oprah of course. Who else could he pick?

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

In a week of records surrounding the Republican National Convention, Fox News CHannel earned another one with its weekend documentary on vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

"Sarah Palin: American Woman" averaged 2.7 million viewers in its debut at 8 p.m. ET Saturday night, Nielsen Media Research said Tuesday afternoon. That included 673,000 viewers in the adults 25-54 cable news demo.

Nielsen said it was the highest-rated primetime documentary ever in the 12-year history of the channel, surpassing high-rated ones recently about Barack Obama and Palin's running mate, John McCain.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/...=1&oref=slogin

Smooth Barry. Real smooth

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...hp/rubin/28911

But this gets better press actually Barry

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...ZjZDRiOTFiM2E=
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-09-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Oprah of course. Who else could he pick?
    Randi Rhodes?
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Quote Originally Posted by myv65 View Post
    OK, you've dodged a simple question long enough.

Do you believe Obama would have won the nomination if it had been Obama against Clinton (or even Obama against Edwards) from day one?

IMHO, Obama won the nomination because of three events coming together, a "perfect storm" if you will.

1) He has exceptional public appeal
    2) He is black
    3) His opponents split the non-black voters, yielding "wins" in early contests even though he often lost all demographics except blacks and even though he often got less than 50% of the popular vote in any given contest.

Without all three of the above, there is no way on this earth that Obama walks away with the nomination. Heck, Hillary virtually tied him (IIRC) in the popular vote even though Edwards (in particular) and others arguably took away voters from her in the early contests.

Obama built momentum in a crowded field and by the time it was down to him and Hillary, she didn't have the steam to recover.

Bully for him, but naive to believe it would have turned out like this without the confluence of the three items noted above.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out in two months. Obama got here by saying little more than, "Change" and "Hope". IMHO that alone won't carry him to the finish line, ie it isn't enough for those not already a ways left of center. That's why he's now doing stuff like O'Reilly and shifting his positions. It *is* a chess match, and as much as far lefties hate to acknowledge it, Palin is turning out to be a rather crafty move by the McCain camp. Whether it ultimately turns out to be the right move won't be known for a while, the debates at minimum and November more likely.
    I saw this in the Atlantic -

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/20080...ti-solis-doyle

I dont think its the entire article since the one in my magazine seems longer. But it seems like there were alot of internal problems in Clinton's campaign that contributed to her demise.

I can't see that an Obama / Clinton ticket would have ever worked out. It may have been the most politic thing to do, but you'd always wonder who wore the trousers in that relationship.

Oy ... all this attention to Palin.

At the rate things are going...maybe they should let go of McCain, make Palin run for president and find a way to have Colin Powell as her running mate ....

OK, you've dodged a simple question long enough.

Do you believe Obama would have won the nomination if it had been Obama against Clinton (or even Obama against Edwards) from day one?

IMHO, Obama won the nomination because of three events coming together, a "perfect storm" if you will.

1) He has exceptional public appeal
    2) He is black
    3) His opponents split the non-black voters, yielding "wins" in early contests even though he often lost all demographics except blacks and even though he often got less than 50% of the popular vote in any given contest.

Without all three of the above, there is no way on this earth that Obama walks away with the nomination. Heck, Hillary virtually tied him (IIRC) in the popular vote even though Edwards (in particular) and others arguably took away voters from her in the early contests.

Obama built momentum in a crowded field and by the time it was down to him and Hillary, she didn't have the steam to recover.

Bully for him, but naive to believe it would have turned out like this without the confluence of the three items noted above.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out in two months. Obama got here by saying little more than, "Change" and "Hope". IMHO that alone won't carry him to the finish line, ie it isn't enough for those not already a ways left of center. That's why he's now doing stuff like O'Reilly and shifting his positions. It *is* a chess match, and as much as far lefties hate to acknowledge it, Palin is turning out to be a rather crafty move by the McCain camp. Whether it ultimately turns out to be the right move won't be known for a while, the debates at minimum and November more likely.
    Honestly your analysis is just partisan ••••••••. Would Bush have won the election without the Evangelicals? For that matter how well would Republicans be doing without that group of millions of loyal voters. Would Clinton haven gotten nearly the support she did without her passionate female base? The split black votes doesen't change the fact that he won white states as well. I can give you groups that vote for certain candidates in disproportionate numbers. It happens more then with Obama

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    Oy ... all this attention to Palin.

At the rate things are going...maybe they should let go of McCain, make Palin run for president and find a way to have Colin Powell as her running mate ....
    I agree. And the more Obama gets after her....the more it works against him.

She has pushed his buttons and it shows.

Id be telling Obama to simply focus on issues.
    And McCain.
    Not Bush
    Not Palin

Sorta like boxing I suppose. Fight your fight not the other guy's/gal's
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Honestly your analysis is just partisan ••••••••. Would Bush have won the election without the Evangelicals? For that matter how well would Republicans be doing without that group of millions of loyal voters. Would Clinton haven gotten nearly the support she did without her passionate female base? The split black votes doesen't change the fact that he won white states as well. I can give you groups that vote for certain candidates in disproportionate numbers. It happens more then with Obama
    No other group that one may be born into comes close to what has happened with this Democratic primary.

Sure, people form associations that tend to vote consistently left or right, but no other demographic has been this concentrated, to my knowledge. If you know of one, please feel free to share.

From your tone above, it seems you are somehow personally offended that Barack needed a demographic boost from blacks to win the nomination. I'm not sure why you would feel that way or why else you would come across that way.

I fail to see anything in your response that negates my points above. I fail to see why you can't admit that he would not have won if he was Bob Olson-D, relatively unknown white junior senator from Illinois. For my part, I think I've been explicitly clear that I believe McCain chose Palin purely as a calculated move to win the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I agree. And the more Obama gets after her....the more it works against him.

She has pushed his buttons and it shows.

Id be telling Obama to simply focus on issues.
    And McCain.
    Not Bush
    Not Palin

Sorta like boxing I suppose. Fight your fight not the other guy's/gal's
    Shhh!!!
    Brian

Let's all unite as Americans and agree on one thing-- Sarah Palin is smokin' hot and I have a total crush on her...

Attractive, conservative...glasses... OH YES.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

No other group that one may be born into comes close to what has happened with this Democratic primary.

Sure, people form associations that tend to vote consistently left or right, but no other demographic has been this concentrated, to my knowledge. If you know of one, please feel free to share.

From your tone above, it seems you are somehow personally offended that Barack needed a demographic boost from blacks to win the nomination. I'm not sure why you would feel that way or why else you would come across that way.

I fail to see anything in your response that negates my points above. I fail to see why you can't admit that he would not have won if he was Bob Olson-D, relatively unknown white junior senator from Illinois. For my part, I think I've been explicitly clear that I believe McCain chose Palin purely as a calculated move to win the general election.
    Lets take the 2004 election.

Still, the election underscored the importance of white evangelical voters to the GOP. In 2004, they constituted 36% of Bush voters. By comparison, African-Americans the most loyal of Democratic constituencies constituted only about one-fifth (21%) of Kerry's voters.
    http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=103

BUsh wouldn't have won without Evangelicals. Obama wouldn't have won without blacks. Exactly what is your point. I can point to many factors where a candidate wouldn't have ordinarily won if they didn't have the support of a certain group? This analysis is pointless

Cwiz, Obama is pulling support from around 90% of blacks (that's about an 80-point spread), whereas Bush had a 45-point spread among Evangelicals in 2004... still significant but not nearly as wide of a margin as Obama enjoys among black voters compared to McCain. While both are important constituencies, the black vote is a much larger factor for Obama than the evangelical vote is/was to either Bush or McCain.

http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=322
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

But again. Like the link states blacks do not vote in the numbers that Evangelicals do. When they do vote, yes they tend to vote democrat, and even more so for a black candidate who is also a democrat. But they don't have as much of an impact as the evangelicals