Page 1 of 109 123451151101 ... LastLast

Post Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Brilliant move. Excellent way to take the wind out of the Democrats' sails and stick it to them for being so divided and bitter that they refused to support each other and have an Obama/Clinton ticket. Simultaneously McCain is casting himself as a "change candidate" like Obama with the addition of a woman who succeeded because she took on the establishment of Alaskan politics and cleaned things up, attracting women who want to see a woman in the office, and adding youth to his campaign to counter the criticism that he is too old and sickly to be president.

Alaska Gov. Palin to be Named as McCain Running Mate

DAYTON, Ohio — John McCain will introduce Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate at an event here at noon Friday, senior campaign sources confirmed to FOX News.

Palin emerged earlier in the day as the hot name in the VP sweepstakes after reports circulated that two short-listers — Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty — were out of the running.
    Spoiler!
    Sarah Palin Seen as GOP Rising Star
    by FOXNews.com
    Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin, John McCain’s vice presidential pick and the first female governor of Alaska, is seen as a rising star within the Republican Party.

She became the youngest person to assume the top office of the 49th State in 2006. Her anti-abortion stance is certain to appeal to evangelicals, while her views on the threats of climate change mirror those of Senator McCain.

“Palin is becoming a star in the conservative movement, a fiscal conservative in a state that is looking like a boondoggle for pork barrel spending,” Republican pollster Kellyanne Conway has said. “She’s young, vibrant, fresh and now, and a new mother of five. She should be in the top tier. If the Republican Party wants to wrestle itself free from the perception that it is royalist and not open to putting new talent on the bench, this would be the real opportunity.”
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Orangutan; 08-29-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: made more sense out of what I wrote half asleep earlier
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Checkmate! Its over... Obama can go home now its over. lol

BF3 Dino:
    i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB Corsair, X-25M 120GB, WD 300GB Raptor, 2xEVGA GTX570HD 2.5GB, X-fi Titanium, Antec 1200W.
    Monster: i7 930, MSI X58 Platinum, 9GB Corsair, WD 74GB Raptor, WD 2TB, Palit GTX460 1GB, PCP&C 750W.
    Beast: AMD4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB Corsair, 2x 1TB WD Green Raid0, 2TB WD Green, KFA2 9600GT, Dynex 500W.
    Relic: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Asus P4SD-LA, 1.5 GB PC2700, 160GB WD, 120GB Maxtor, ATI 9600Pro, Dynex 500W.

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Wow, and if McCain gets in (as seems likely) she's a near sureshot for the running in 2016 (or 2012 if McCain needs/wants to leave). Hillary vs VP Palin.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it brilliant, but it is definitely the best choice of what he had.....he couldn't pick Romney cuz they hate each other, he couldn't pick Lieberman cuz he's pro-choice, so she seems the best bet. I've seen her speak befroe and she does handle herself well....

That being said, this pick is not going to win over Hillary supporters. This woman is a pro-life conservative, which is about as opposite on the spectrum as you can get from Hillary.

^^It's pretty clear there are lots and lots of black folks who voted for Obama in the primaries simply because he's (half) black. I'm sure there are women who'll vote for this ticket because there's a woman on it. And no, neither position makes any sense to me.

For my part I've heard some good stuff about her, though much of it has been anecdotal. Got some research to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    That being said, this pick is not going to win over Hillary supporters. This woman is a pro-life conservative, which is about as opposite on the spectrum as you can get from Hillary.
    That assumes that Hillary supporters support her only because of her "platform". That's a stretch. If that were so, the backlash from her not being nominated would have been equally from both men and women.

This is a great year for people who are in favor of identity politics.

Quote Originally Posted by myv65 View Post
    I'm sure there are women who'll vote for this ticket because there's a woman on it.

I would suspect that most will NOT vote for her because she's anti-abortion. But we'll see in a couple of months.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I would suspect that most will NOT vote for her because she's anti-abortion. But we'll see in a couple of months.

M
    And what, Bush won without the support of women voters? I think the whole "single issue voter" deal is overblown. It's real, but not as significant as some would have us believe.

I tend to agree with Orang on this one. But it is very important that she brings more to the table than a female torso. From some of the things Iíve heard sheís pretty intelligent and a savvy politician.

In 60 days weíll know for sure.

I'm not sure how brilliant it is. Who the hell is Sarah Palin? My friend told me this earlier and I thought he was joking. He showed me some weird source and I still didn't believe. So basically he picked some chick just to grab hillary supporters even though she's little known and only governed for 2 years. are hillary supporters stupid enough to vote for anyone with a vagina? Especially someone who is anti-choice?
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 08-29-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    I'm not sure how brilliant it is. Who the hell is Sarah Palin? My friend told me this earlier and I thought he was joking. He showed me some weird source and I still didn't believe. So basically he picked some chick just to grab hillary supporters even though she's little known and only governed for 2 years. are hillary supporters stupid enough to vote for anyone with a vagina? Especially someone who is anti-choice?
    Somewhat like an Obama with the exception of the vagina.

Thatís kind of a sexist statement donít you think?

Obama, a first term senator (the candidate of "change") picks an "old white guy" while McCain, criticized for being an "old white guy" picks a female maverick governor. Oh the irony. I do believe we got us a horse race here. Oh yes, by the way she is a member of the NRA and she really hunts.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    This is a great year for people who are in favor of identity politics.
    And that's not to say Palin was a bad choice... but identity politics probably played a big arsed role here.

A moose huntin' beauty queen mom that nixed the bridge to nowhere and wants to get the polar bears off the endangered species list... not a bad start.

About this abortion thing... does anyone here know if American women are more pro-choice than pro-life, or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    I haven't yet dug deep, but from what I gather she's got more executive experience than McCain and Obama put together, not that that's saying much. She's also what McCain is not, a proven fiscal conservative.

And as tucker indicates, lots and lots of people say/said the same thing about Obama (Who the hell is Barak Obama?).

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post

Thatís kind of a sexist statement donít you think?
    Ya mentioning the fact that mccain picked her because she's a women is being sexist