Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1621
  1. #31
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    what does him being black have to do with it though. he wasn't nominated because he was black. Gov. Palin was PICKED because she was a women and it's really hard to prove otherwise
    ^^^ Oh geez.. do you even read what you type before ya post? Here.. lemme help ya out:

    What does her being female have to do with it though? She wasn't nominated because She was a woman. Nobama was PICKED because he was black and it's really hard to prove otherwise
    See how well your argument works?

    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  2. #32
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    what does him being black have to do with him actually winning over voters and securing the nomination for his party. he wasn't nominated because he was black. Gov. Palin was PICKED because she was a women and it's really hard to prove otherwise
    He got more than 80% of the black vote in the party who was represented with 24% of their delegates being black because he was experienced.

    Do the math, then ball up your arithmetic and throw it in the trash... Obama was chosen because of his experience.

    No, his skin color had nothing to do with it.

    The year of identity politics.

  3. #33
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,610

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Of course. Little known governor with barely any experience. it would have been a horrible choice if it weren't for the fact that she was a women

    Here's what the guy at electoralvote has to say

    Update: John McCain fooled everyone and chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) as his running mate. People had talked about her but not many people took her seriously. She comes with an unusual mix of characteristics. First, she's a woman. Second, she's a woman. Third, she's a woman. McCain is betting the farm that the female Democratic PUMA voters who said they would vote for McCain will now really do it. The (unspoken) reasoning, of course, is either McCain is old and has had cancer four times and might die in office, leaving us with a woman President or in 2012 or 2016 she can run for the office on her own. It is likely that the working-class male supporters of Clinton, especially those in the rust belt will think she's a hot chick (especially when she demonstrates her motorcycle skills) but whether they will vote for her is something else again. She is a very devout Christian with five children, the youngest of whom has Down's syndrome. She is very strongly against abortion. This pick allows him to say to the Base: "You had doubts about me. Look who I picked." It will give him enormous credibility with the evangelicals. In that respect it was a brilliant choice

    However, the conventional wisdom dismissed her for a variety of reasons that are still true. First, some reporter is going to ask him: "Of the hundreds of governors, senators, congressmen, and business leaders available to you, do you really think that a 44-year old person who has two years' experience as governor of a thinly populated state is the best person in the country to be President of the United States after yourself?" After all, she knows nothing of foreign policy and not even that much about domestic policy except that drilling for oil is a good thing.

    Second, picking her destroys McCain's strongest argument against Obama: he has no experience. Little as he has (8 years in the Illinois state senate and 3 years in the U.S. Senate) it is more than she has (4 years as mayor of Wasilla, a town of 5,000, and 2 years as governor). How is he going to argue that she is qualified to be President and Obama isn't. He can say experience doesn't matter (and a case can be made that it doesn't) but there goes his whole argument against Obama--lack of experience.

    Third, like many Alaska politicians these days, Palin is involved in an ethics scandal. Her sister was married to a state trooper named Mike Wooten. The two of them got divorced and were involved in a bitter child custody battle. Sarah wanted to help her sister so she asked the state commissioner of public safety, Walt Monegan, to fire Wooten. He refused, so she fired him. He protested so loudly that the Republican-controlled state legislature appointed a retired prosecutor, Steve Branchflower, to investigate whether she abused her power as governor. Needless to say, Monegan is about to get a small army of reporters camped on his doorstep. It seems very strange indeed that McCain wants to be associated with someone under investigation for an ethics violation. The Democrats are going to say: "More of the same." Time will tell how this will play out. One can already envision the Vice Presidential TV debate featuring the long-time member and now chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee facing someone has has been governor for 2 years. Romney or Ridge could have held their own against Biden, but Palin is going to have a tough time..
    ^^^ Link please...


    Of course the main reason is because she’s a female. But to say that’s the only reason and her only qualification is premature and sexist politics as Obama might say if he were in the same set of circumstances.
    Last edited by tucker; 08-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.

  4. #34
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,596

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    http://www.electoral-vote.com/ It's just a neutral poll tracking site

    He got more than 80% of the black vote in the party who was represented with 24% of their delegates being black because he was experienced.

    Do the math, then ball up your arithmetic and throw it in the trash... Obama was chosen because of his experience.

    No, his skin color had nothing to do with it.

    The year of identity politics.
    Firstly Blacks vote in huge numbers for democrats anyway. Secondly, Obama had cross appeal in white states like Iowa. I'm looking at this womens record and it's pretty obvious he's betting the farm on hillary supporters

    See how well your argument works?
    Obama had to rely on more then just the black vote to get the nomination. What is appealing about Palin, especially compared to Romney or Liebermann. I mean come on
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 08-29-2008 at 01:40 PM.

  5. #35
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,358

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Probably a very good choice for McCain.Maybe it sounds sexist and is sexist when I think the biggest reason and benefit is the fact that she is a woman, but I still consider that a fact. That doesn't mean she hasn't got anything else to contribute, however.

    (Still, it's a damn shame he couldnt choose Michael Palin. )

  6. #36
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In a House
    Posts
    968

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Soooo... how long before the MSM starts fawning the equally historic possibility of the first woman VP? Dang.. I momentarily forgot the MSM (R)ules. In short... don't hold your breath.
    Already been done as a possibility, How quickly some forget.
    Fox News watchers are less informed - The Proof

    I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    - Thomas Jefferson

  7. #37
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Firstly Blacks vote in huge numbers for democrats anyway. Secondly, Obama had cross appeal in white states like Iowa. I'm looking at this womens record and it's pretty obvious he's betting the farm on hillary supporters
    IMHO he had all the Billary voters he was going to get before he selected his VP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Obama had to rely on more then just the black vote to get the nomination.
    Correct.. he also had to relied heavily on "white guilt". Re: see all the banter floating about stating the only way he could lose is racism. Despite the fact the only on bringing race up is the messiah himself and his followers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    What is appealing about Palin, especially compared to Romney or Liebermann. I mean come on
    From a hard line conservative standpoint.. nearly everything. Pro-drilling.. pro-troops.. pro-guns.. anti-abortion. And that's the short list.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  8. #38
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Firstly Blacks vote in huge numbers for democrats anyway. Secondly, Obama had cross appeal in white states like Iowa.
    That explains why Obama's camp was trying to get the black voters out (see ACORN) while Hillary was peddling for the white "working class" voters to get out. Nah... I think it would be interesting see the breakdown of voters [Hillary vs. Obama] by color and gender within the Democrat's primary.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 08-29-2008 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #39
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by liteman View Post
    Already been done as a possibility, How quickly some forget.
    Lets wait and see how it compares shall we?



    And mind you.. that ^^ was all pre-convention.

    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  10. #40
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    CNN gets an early start...

    CNN's Roberts: Palin Too Young and Inexperienced

    She's only been in office for a couple of years now, which really raises the experience issue here.

    ...

    Now, of course, Republicans have been raising the experience issue about Senator Obama, experience not quite so important when you're talking about a vice president, except in the case that John McCain today turned 72 years old.

    ...

    She does have limited experience, though.

    ...

    But that does not add up to broad experience, particularly the type of broad experience that you think should launch you to the national level.

    ...

    Again, though, with the caveat that you want to have a vice president who can step right into the job.
    But Nobama.. the nominee of the left who has not a shred of experience... well.. that's different. The MSM's twisted thought process is hilarious to watch/listen to.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  11. #41
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,596

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    IMHO he had all the Billary voters he was going to get before he selected his VP.



    Correct.. he also had to relied heavily on "white guilt". Re: see all the banter floating about stating the only way he could lose is racism. Despite the fact the only on bringing race up is the messiah himself and his followers.
    haha. ya white guilt, right that's why people voted for him. do you have any polls for this, or are you just making shit up


    From a hard line conservative standpoint.. nearly everything. Pro-drilling.. pro-troops.. pro-guns.. anti-abortion. And that's the short list.
    Romney is all of that too, but he's more well known, has more experience, and would have been a better choice for our country if i'm a republican. I could name many other officials that were more qualified.

  12. #42
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    haha. ya white guilt, right that's why people voted for him. do you have any polls for this, or are you just making shit up
    I've got as much hard evidence of the "white guilt" vote as you have proving Palin was chosen simply because she was a woman. Wanna compare notes?



    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Romney is all of that too, but he's more well known, has more experience, and would have been a better choice for our country if i'm a republican. I could name many other officials that were more qualified.
    Well.. as an actual Republican.. I'm say you are wrong.

    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  13. #43
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    So McCain's new VP choice is a moose hunter. Our current VP is also known for hunting. I really hope McCain declines any invitations he gets to go hunting with those two, or we may end up with the first woman president after all.

    BTW, if anyone is crazy enough to think that by McCain choosing Palin as his VP, he's going after Hillary supporters, they need their heads examined! Palin is such an opposite of Hillary it's not even funny. Palin is a pro-life, moose hunting, oil drilling supporting, NRA card carrying, mother of five. She's also apparently made a name for herself opposing tax increases. Lol, yea, I can see how she would really appeal to the Hillary supporters out there.

  14. #44
    Joined
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    haha. ya white guilt, right that's why people voted for him. do you have any polls for this, or are you just making shit up




    Romney is all of that too, but he's more well known, has more experience, and would have been a better choice for our country if i'm a republican. I could name many other officials that were more qualified.
    Romney = flip-flopping douche. He ran as an ultra-liberal in MA, then as an ultra-conservative during his bid for President. Plus, he's a Mormon, which would cost McCain the bible-thumper vote.


    Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

  15. #45
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    E n g l a n d
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

    Ooh.. interesting choice. That's what I call 'Change'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •