Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    ^^ lets not forget she also is a conservative and as far as experience goes she tops Nobama on that issue too.
    No, she doesn't. Even Obama is more ready to lead the U.S. than a Governor of 2 years.

Definitely a good move to get elected, although if he dies in office the government's kind of screwed.

Re: Sen. John McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on GOP ticket

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I'm hoping that just came out wrong and you meant selecting a woman was a political move. Please clarify... are you saying that her deciding to have a Down syndrome child was a political move?
    Your cynicism is correct, I am referring to her decision to keep the baby despite knowing it has down syndrome well in advance. It just seems like an extension of her being proud of her husband's lack of education. But I have what most people would consider "twisted" moral reasoning so this is just my personal view. Please dont be too offended however distasteful you may find it.

But thats not the reason I think shes a bad choice. She makes a mockery of all McCain's criticism regarding Obama as inexperienced. Her political positions oppose my own when it comes to education and oil drilling. They say she "brings" a strong anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage stance to the ticket. Were those stances ever missing with just McCain? This just seems like a crappy attempt at finding a Republican "Obama" at the shallowest level: someone who is young, obscure, and represents a political minority. Yes, I am for Obama this comming election. But considering how this election go either way, I would prefer it if both sides were at least competent for the job. If McCain kicks the bucket with her as VP, I think we are screwed.

------

Im talking to one of my former teachers about this, and he forwarded me this email from one of his friends who happens to be an Alaskan and a college history professor. Until I can find out more about this obscure woman, I will just defer to his opinion on the matter.

Here's my take on this:

If we assume that Obama and his campaign see themselves as the the fulfillment of the mission begun by Lincoln and Kennedy (and this may be a strecth, but it can't be a coincidence that Obama's great speech last night was on the anniversary of MLK's I have a dream speech); then in many ways this pick is "Out-Lincolning" Obama...Palin is small town America; growing up in the wilderness (And Wasilla of the 70's was pretty rural), and she "Out-Kennedys" Obama with the appeal to the young.

She lacks a great deal of intellectual substance. But makes up for it with ambition and direct-ness which appeals to Alaskan voters; but the more sophisticated voters of the rest of the US (and I am fully admitting that the rest of the US is much more politically astute and mature than we are here in AK...in many ways we are children, and we can discuss that later) may find her shallow and superficial. Biden is going to tear her up. The best part of this is how can McCain ever attack Obama for his lack of foreign policy experience when you get someone with her lack of experience? I can see her facing down Putin in the new escalating Cold War (and that is happening...one whose airspace is violated every week by Russian bombers a la the 1980's can tell you), but her temper is famous here and I cannot see her keeping a cool head like Kennedy did in 1962.

She touts herself as a fiscal conservative, wielding her line item veto with an iron-fist...but like Alaskan politics so often are, special projects wanted by her friends and allies all were fully funded. But more recently, and the one I would zing her on is with a $5 billion state surplus (which it is easy to have high popularity ratings when you have extra money) she proposed a plan and pushed it through the Alaska Legislature for a payout of part of that surplus back to every Alaskan ($1,200) which arrives in two weeks. Instead of providing for sustainable development or alternative energy sources to combat the real issue of high energy prices up here (our gas is still $4.50 a gallon in urban Anchorage, as high as 10 in rural Alaska), she is pandering in the worst possible way.

She also touts herself for her pro-education and pro-morality stance, but the reality is that she is an enemy of the University system and Alaskan economy. Over the past 20 years over $82 billion in payroll has left the state of Alaska from migrant and non-residential labor that literally commutes from the lower 48 here and back. Instead of addressing this issue with increased technical and professional education, she has slashed education funding. Only the will power of a united state legislature has stopped her from more damage. We have no medical school here, no law school, and the only post-graduate work down here is all from federal grant funding. In many ways her vision of Alaska's future is a step back to the 70's of hard-working, hard-drinking roughneck labor. She is often quoted as saying that her husband (Todd) doesn't have an education, but he still has a good job, so why do we need higher education?

Her moral stance is invalidated by her lack of dignity for the institution of governor. She ran on an anti-corruption campaign, but then promptly filled the prominent state offices with cronies and incompetents. In addition she has used the role of Governor (which has been in Alaskan politics a role to stay out of electioneering for persons or issues) just this last summer to campaign for her Lieutenant-Governor (now in a virtual deadlock with Don Young for winning the the primary as the Republican candidate for the US House) and be opposed to resolutions like public financing of campaigns and clean water legislation. In addition the scandal behind the firing of the public safety commissioner there are some nasty and unpleasant things left to come out.

I say all this but also know she can be very nice and sweet to her friends. And she named her kids after snowmachining terms: It's almost laughable. I am fairly certain that the McCain campaign did not vett her well. But if McCain want to be a maverick...here we go.

Best to all...as an Alaskan patriot I am pleased that we have an Alaskan on a major ticket. I am just afraid that we up here are going to be left wondering why we elected her governor.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia View Post
    No, she doesn't. Even Obama is more ready to lead the U.S. than a Governor of 2 years.

Definitely a good move to get elected, although if he dies in office the government's kind of screwed.
    And exactly what makes Nobama more "ready to lead"? Pleas list specific experience examples and not the "experience by osmosis" most pundits try.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Uh oh.

How does the first female VP candidate feel about the second? Geraldine Ferraro says that many women feel disaffected by the way Hillary Clinton got treated by the Democratic Party and the media — and they will appreciate an opportunity to support a historic ticket:

Experience... Repugs are not the only ones saying Nobama has none and is not ready.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

PUMAs Lovin' Palin

—Ace

At least on a Clinton Voters Forum.
    Thanks to CJ.
    As Their Link is Overloaded... I hope they won't mind me stealing their post -- which otherwise can't be read by anyone.
    Jim Lindgren stresses these are all the responses on the thread -- "no cherry picking!"
    Wow, Thanks so much to this Sarah Palin who never forgot us. She is a fighter. She paid her respects to our Hillary and Geraldine . They now no more think women in this country are 2nd class. You go girl and thank you for a refreshing pick Sen. McCain. +++++++++++++++
    Maybe those 18 million cracks will help her shatter the ceiling!
    +++++++++++++++
    I'm listening to his acolyte now on MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell. The tone of her voice and this almost choking quality of her words tells me that she sees this as a real problem for her guy, BO. (I'm gleeful.)
    +++++++++++++++
    obama made the biggest mistake of his career not choosing Hillary. The Democrats got behind obama so much they didn't even realize what they were doing trying to push Hillary out of the picture. I'm sure Hillary is not happy obama did not make her but she is probably laughing now and preparing for 2012 campaign with the slogan "I told you so"
    +++++++++++++++
    Obama did not see that coming! I'm sure a lot of people didn't see it coming. Great job by the McCain campaign to keep things very hush hush!
    McCAIN / PALIN '08
    +++++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia View Post
    The "largest" example of experience touted by the Obama campaign is his two year campaign to become the Democrat's nominee.

Quibble over what his opponents cite, but when it comes to his own campaign folks, that's it.

I never bought the whole "experience" argument to begin with. I dont think any job is really capable of preparing someone for being President. But to pick someone like Palin after blasting Obama for a lack of experience just reeks of hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    The "largest" example of experience touted by the Obama campaign is his two year campaign to become the Democrat's nominee.

Quibble over what his opponents cite, but when it comes to his own campaign folks, that's it.
    And his largest actual executive experience? His campaign wants the DOJ to silence those talking about it. Says a lot...

-The Gipper

You should be able to get into Volokh now...

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post
    I never bought the whole "experience" argument to begin with. I dont think any job is really capable of preparing someone for being President. But to pick someone like Palin after blasting Obama for a lack of experience just reeks of hypocrisy.
    Hypocrisy? Palin has actual experience. Running a state or even city gives a whole lot more experience than any "community organizer" can lay claim to.

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    McCain is just as big of a flip flopper if not worse. He reversed on torture, immigration, taxes, roe v made, gay marriage. So ya they'd make a good pair!
    I never said McCain wasn't, which is why I'm not voting for him. I'm not voting for Obama/Biden either, but it doesn't matter. NY is a blue state, and all its electoral votes go to the Democrat.

I'm voting Libertarian again this election cycle. With the current 2-party system, you're just picking one side of the same coin.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

And exactly what makes Nobama more "ready to lead"? Pleas list specific experience examples and not the "experience by osmosis" most pundits try.
    She's a 2-year governor of Alaska, he beat her in qualifications simply by going on his world tour. she has never, to my knowledge, worked in National government in any capacity, so her qualifications are non-existant.

Hypocrisy? Palin has actual experience. Running a state or even city gives a whole lot more experience than any "community organizer" can lay claim to.
    She ran Alaska. Not exactly what one would envision as the archetypal American state. And considering how she handles Alaska, I wouldnt want to see it extrapolated onto a national level.

I'm thinking about it all.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/pol....vp.entire.cnn

I watched this.