Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: No one overclocks anymore?

We still OC, its just not as easy as before,its like learning how to do it all over again,especially with phenoms thx to the new NB clock

Video cards are still fun though

I still OC. Of course, it is the same 5-6 year old system still.
    Brian

Well the last rig I OCís was my Barton 2500. I bought it specifically to OC and it did exactly what it was supposed to and itís still running strong all this time later. I remember my friend who was a big Intel user
    having a fit at a LAN we were at because his system just couldnít keep up with mine. Then I told him how much less I paid for my CPU than he did for hisÖ He didnít talk to me for an hourÖ Ahh the good old days.

These days Iím getting all the performance I need out of my non OCíd main rig, especially after stepping up to a dual core 6000+ and DDR2. If it had poor performance in a specific application it might be different but Iím more concerned with keeping my rig cool and quiet these days.

Besides Iím not sure how much headroom there is in my latest chip, Iím guessing not a lot . Still thatís not always the point of overclocking is it
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Quote Originally Posted by RatboyX View Post
    Well the last rig I OCís was my Barton 2500. I bought it specifically to OC and it did exactly what it was supposed to and itís still running strong all this time later. I remember my friend who was a big Intel user
    having a fit at a LAN we were at because his system just couldnít keep up with mine. Then I told him how much less I paid for my CPU than he did for hisÖ He didnít talk to me for an hourÖ Ahh the good old days.

These days Iím getting all the performance I need out of my non OCíd main rig, especially after stepping up to a dual core 6000+ and DDR2. If it had poor performance in a specific application it might be different but Iím more concerned with keeping my rig cool and quiet these days.

Besides Iím not sure how much headroom there is in my latest chip, Iím guessing not a lot . Still thatís not always the point of overclocking is it
    I'd say allot of people who first OC see that the gains are not always large and with some of the headache that comes with it at times not worth it.

Some silly people like me just enjoy the process. I think I enjoy the process and getting something for nothing because of my (Very) small knowledge
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now theyíre all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

All 4 of my systems are overclocked as far as possible with heat being my limiting factor. My E6750 chuggs along at 3.6Ghz 24/7 with no extra voltage to the CPU and the ram at 2.0v. My Opteron 170 (My sons system) is running 2.8Ghz again with no extra voltage to the CPU. My 3700+ sandy (my daughters system) is running 2.6 Ghz and my 3400+ newcastle (the wifes system) is running 2.6Ghz

As said though the days of feeling good about your OC's are long gone considering how easy these CPUs overclock these days..
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic View Post
    All 4 of my systems are overclocked as far as possible with heat being my limiting factor. My E6750 chuggs along at 3.6Ghz 24/7 with no extra voltage to the CPU and the ram at 2.0v. My Opteron 170 (My sons system) is running 2.8Ghz again with no extra voltage to the CPU. My 3700+ sandy (my daughters system) is running 2.6 Ghz and my 3400+ newcastle (the wifes system) is running 2.6Ghz

As said though the days of feeling good about your OC's are long gone considering how easy these CPUs overclock these days..
    And I say to you again try a phenom,

You know what on second thought don't because you will probably get lucky again and get a monster OC phenom

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

I still oc and will as long as it's possible. Is overclocking easier to do than it used to be? Sure it is and that's a good thing imo. I don't miss the days of the pencil trick and thought it was nothing more than a pita. I still feel as good about my mild 600 mhz oc on my Q6600 that I did with my old Athlon XP overclocks. I wonder what percentage of the general computing public is currently overclocking their computers, or even know what overclocking is? I'd bet very, very few.

more fun back then? PFFFFT. it's more fun now that i don't need to spend weeks doing it, instead maybe a few days at the most.

i do not miss doing wire tricks to unlock a different set of multipliers, or whatever i needed for a decent oc.

definitely never did any pencil tricks myself, of course back then i was more or less relying on the parents for spare parts, or spending a months wages at KFC for parts. even still, i don't think i'd be willing to do that to my hardware anymore.

i like tweaking too, it's just that i've learned from past experiences by now, i no longer care to squeeze every last meaningless ounce of performance out of my system to shave a few fractions of a second off my super pie time. don't have the time much anymore either.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

That was fun. I miss waiting to see what the next cool thing to try was. Getting two bartons on an msi server board as two mp's was the best in its day. I still love to oc though. When they came out with the q6700 extreme I was able to get it to 4.2 ghz and do 3d mark runs with it. Needed a 25 pound bag of ice in a bucket inlined to my watercooled loop. Got 3rd or 4th place in that futuremark competition a few years back. Now its a joke to oc a quad. 4.5 on water cooled rig in the summer. Add a little bit of voltage and away she goes. Does not seem like much of a challenge. Maybe I am just getting older and 4 ghz is good enough.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    That was fun. I miss waiting to see what the next cool thing to try was. Getting two bartons on an msi server board as two mp's was the best in its day. I still love to oc though. When they came out with the q6700 extreme I was able to get it to 4.2 ghz and do 3d mark runs with it. Needed a 25 pound bag of ice in a bucket inlined to my watercooled loop. Got 3rd or 4th place in that futuremark competition a few years back. Now its a joke to oc a quad. 4.5 on water cooled rig in the summer. Add a little bit of voltage and away she goes. Does not seem like much of a challenge. Maybe I am just getting older and 4 ghz is good enough.
    So true 0156.

I remember soldering a resistor to my 8RDA+ to get the chipset voltage above 2.0v and that was my best memories of OC'ing with a 2100+ Tbred that I was able to run at 2800Mhz and at the time it was a serious overclock. I did the rear window defogger repair kit trick with my 1800+ to unlock the multi and (@Brandito) PFFFT or not those where the days..

Just not the same as it used to be but like 0156 said this could be due to age.
    Last edited by AMD Fanatic; 09-06-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

I used to take pride in overclocking 2000--> 2005. But now I'll OC if I need to, can't say I burnt out any hardware overclocking though. But on occasion I did run into stability issues and corrupted data.

these days I have no need to oc...everything runs fast at max graphical settings and never a reboot .

and there are all kinds of way to have fun with the oc.

ud

Sheesh UD, I remember getting a sub 30 sec with my 3700+ (@2900?) and 2-2-2 memory at 240 something. back in the VnF4 days.

Back then most of the activity was in the board forums, as we were all learning how to do A64's and learn all the new settings. Those were the days here, still had strong AMDMB roots (I still use the Amdmb legacy format) and out performing intel was very exciting.
    Not that there isn't plenty of intel OCing going on here, but once you have the basics there isn't that much to it, intel as well as AMD. No more memory voltage boosters etc, most boards come standard with all the options you need built in. If you run into a stopping point you just slow that part of the board

Maybe AMD will turn the corner and the excitement will come back, for intel OCers as well as AMDer's. Not as much fun class racing, you want to race the other guys.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 09-06-2008 at 07:21 PM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

This is something our Bartons never could do...

Hey, there's still the tape trick for Xeons!

From this:

To this:

Just by sticking a teeny tiny piece ot tape (the opposite of the Barton paint trick!)

OK, it is deadder 'n a doornail in here, comparatively speaking, but overclocking is still well alive!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

UB,

Good to see ya post, lets see a chaintech screeny