Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Re: No one overclocks anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by alex666 View Post
    . . .
    I also have the settings for the voltage. I guess maybe I did change my voltage, that will take more time, but let me know what voltage you need it set to. The switch for voltage is JP3.

marty
    Thanks again. I hope we are closing in on this thing. The voltages given on the package are 2.2V Core / 3/3V I/O. These are the same voltage figures given on the package for the 380MHz processor being replaced.I have found nothing that would indicate those are not the right figures, so the remaining task is to verify that those are the settings the system is using.

Visual inspection indicates that jp3 is set at 1-2 open, 3-4 short, 5-6 open. If VCC2 (which I cannot find) is set Low the table on the mobo gives a voltage of 2.2V. I am ready to believe that no change to voltage settings is needed.

I don't recall touching those jck1 and jck2 jumpers you listed above. As for on and off when using jumpers, on = the two pins are connected, off = they are not connected.

I gotta tell ya, this is probably the worst time for me to plunge into this, given my work schedule right now and some things happening at home. I got my documents for this from Compaq, and that link I gave you might lead you to the same documents. The header on my printout suggests as much. I'm amazed that all that stuff is still available for a 10 year-old system. Hats off to compaq/HP for providing long-term support.

In any case, I won't be of much help over the never few days. So good hunting.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by JimPivonka View Post
    Visual inspection indicates that jp3 is set at 1-2 open, 3-4 short, 5-6 open. If VCC2 (which I cannot find) is set Low the table on the mobo gives a voltage of 2.2V. I am ready to believe that no change to voltage settings is needed.
    Those settings listed above are indeed for 2.2v per the table I have. So you look good to go.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

I have made the changes to jp1, presumably clock multiplier, and to jp3, FSB speed. I put in the AMD K6-2 500MHz processor, and Everest is now returning:
    CPU FSB 98.81 MHZ
    CPU Multiplier 5.5
    CPU Clock 543.47

Couldn't have done it without your help, and thank you very much. It's not much of a computer, by standards these days, and not much in the way of overclocking, but it is surely a good learning experience. :-)

This may help
    Pause the post screen when there are a bunch of #s at the bottom of the screen. Award bios and date then there is a code that yo can look up at award which will tell you the maker of the board.
    AMI has since taken over award but hopefully they still have the database.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    This may help
    Pause the post screen when there are a bunch of #s at the bottom of the screen. Award bios and date then there is a code that yo can look up at award which will tell you the maker of the board.
    AMI has since taken over award but hopefully they still have the database.
    Thanks for your interest, and the advice. In trying to understand it, I have become increasingly confused, and at this point think that I may have some strange BIOS on the machine - apparently an Awar BIOS for an ABIT mobo, but I don't know for sure.

I do observe that neither delete nor F1 causes the machine to enter BIOS setup. And that when I use F10 to enter BIOS setup the options I see there are very limited, and include no references to anything even approaching a level of control as enabling or disabling L2 cache. (Three different hardware diagnostic packages all report L2 cache as disabled, even though the machines specs from Compaq indicate it is supported on the machine.)

When I enter BIOS setup there is NO indication as to who made the BIOS or for what motherboard or chipset.

I found what may be a BIOS flash diskette in a box of OS related floppy diskettes that I was given when I inherited the machine from my brother's son - who had used it early in his college days. Hmmm. Do you suppose he decided the BIOS needed to be flashed, knew that it had had an Award BIOS on it, and flashed it with a "generic" Award BIOS - after disabling L2 cache in preparing for the flashing procedure, which I gather some people recommend? And then found the new BIOS was weak enough that the L2 cache could not be re enabled?

Compaq has (in an offhand and indirect way) confirmed that the November 10, 1999 SP BIOS update I have downloaded should be used to flash the BIOS - which I think I will do, when I return home after 6 weeks away on holiday and personal business.

Yeah, I will be away, and unable to do more on this than respond, as I get a chance, to any input/advice you may give me until after the end of January. Thanks again for rasing my consciousness on this issue.

Yeah, I'd go with that last bios update, the only hbios update I think from Compaq. For what it's worth, there is only the most basic of bios options on my compaq 5220, even with that bios update. I don't think you'll find anything fancier than that. All that said, I was able to install a ata/100 add-in card to that machine despite Compaq support saying it would not be possible , the k6-III 450+, a different floppy drive, different cd drive, different hdd, different memory, different fax/modem, a pci video card (voodoo3 200, and all without any problems from the mobo. For a basic consumer mobo, that's pretty good. Oh, and I should add that it's still using the original psu, and cpu hsf. I certainly was glad to make the step into an enthusiast mobo when I built my first system from scratch back in 2002, but I learned a lot from the 5220. I used it as recently as 2 years ago for an assessment I did on a client, as it has some psychological software on it.

marty

PS I hope everything above makes sense, I had both eyes dilated today during an eye visit, so I'm struggling to see.

In trying to understand it, I have become increasingly confused, and at this point think that I may have some strange BIOS on the machine - apparently an Awar BIOS for an ABIT mobo, but I don't know for sure.
    Sorry, it's been a while (p166 board) since I did it.

It is the first screen that comes up when you turn on the pc, just after the beep. You may have to pause after the beep to let your monitor come up. It's known as a splash screen, it should have a logo (most likely compact) Some #s at the top and at the bottom. the #s at the bottom will tell you the bios maker, Awards version of the bios, dates then a long #(hex-dec I think) that is the # you are looking for.
    You may have to hit pause, then any key to restart, then pause again to catch it. I rarely caught it the first time, had to reboot and try again. this is before POST starts, find the pause key before you turn on the computer.
    PS the board could have easily been made by Abit.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by SokeSleezy View Post
    Im comparing it to the Athlon XP days but man, this forum is desolate.
    I'm buying a new pc this year (running my pc for a few years now). So that's 1 to come this year.
    And that XP clocked at 3GHz
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

I'm having fun overclocking my new Phenom II and all, but I'll be honest: Outside of benchmarks, I can't really tell a difference between my last quad at 2.5GHz and the new one at 3.6+ GHz. (With one exception: 1080P x264 content didn't play on my last chip and now it does fine)
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

I am so toasted, I am running stock speed, usually run oc'd at3.6 and I don't even realize the difference. Its flys stock so I haven't noticed. oh, I am so toasted!!!!
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

Seems like I'm always tweakin this rig lol. I enjoy it. Currently at 4ghz on this quad and it flies!
    Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 471x8.5 1.275v OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt thru kit
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P F9c bios
    4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v@942mhz
    Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
    2x300gb Velociraptors RAID 0
    OCZ Gamextream 600w
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    32" Dynex HDTV on HDMI
    Vista Premium 64-bit