Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: No one overclocks anymore?

I like todays oc'ing a lot better than the oldin days.

While it was a challenge back then. It was a straight up pain in the arse at times.
    GO VIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Sheesh UD, I remember getting a sub 30 sec with my 3700+ (@2900?) and 2-2-2 memory at 240 something. back in the VnF4 days.
    that was a nice sandy. i never got mine to do a stable 2800mhz.

what ya get out of your opty?

ud

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    UB,

Good to see ya post, lets see a chaintech screeny
    Good to be seen, man, been real busy remodeling computer room!

Check it out..

Yeah, I still have lots of VNF4 Ultra screenies!

Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by loonym View Post
    A core2 duo is going to have a higher overclock than a core2 quad if that's what you're asking. Unless you meant something else?
    No, thats exactly what I meant

Overclocking is just more available to the everyday consumer nowadays. Don't count OC discussion out for the count though. Every new generation of products brings up new novelties & frustrations to work out.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

I never got down and dirty with penciling and tape but I did have a Athlon XP 1700 tbred b 0310 @ 1467Mhz and oc'ed it to 2.1Ghz. It was a lot of fun doing the trail and error and conferring with people on here on how to get it higher. I can still remember that loud as hell 80mm 50cfm Sunon CPU fan I had haha. Never really got into GPU o/c'ing though.

Quote Originally Posted by SokeSleezy View Post
    No, thats exactly what I meant
    Mhz for Mhz the quad is faster, so if u clock a quad at 3.2 or 3.3Ghz it'll outperform a Duo at 3.5 or 3.6Ghz.

AND run cooler if its 45nm.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,1720-20.html
    Last edited by Rivet; 09-08-2008 at 07:12 AM.

I just found some of the Vcore mods resistors I used to solder on mobos, man that was scarry! One slip and the board was toast. Do it right and it was off to the races! I remember a Chaintech board was the first volt modded 266 board I got to run rock steady at 200 FSB, seems like a slug now.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

My mom's rig is an OC'ed 3800 x2 1.8ghz s939 at 2.4ghz,
    My step dad's rig is a 5000+ BE 2.6ghz at 3.2ghz,
    My rig is a e8400 at 3.85ghz.
    All 3 rigs were mine at one point so I've done all the testing ...

My sister is also using my old wincehester 3000+ 2.0ghz (that I was running at 2.35ghz) but its running stock now as its just slow no matter what lol

I remember overclocking back to my old pentium 3 600mhz that I had runnning a 767mhz for benchmark haha ... but I really started to OC for 24/7 with a A64 2400+ xp that I cant remember the exact settings.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Good to be seen, man, been real busy remodeling computer room!

Check it out..

Yeah, I still have lots of VNF4 Ultra screenies!

UB,

You put us all to shame. First the garage, and now the desks. Very Nice!
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

This is a fascinating disucssion. I've got all 3 of my systems in my sig OCed as high as they will go temperature (air) permitting. But I just got my first laptop, a Gateway with a c2d mobile 2.0GHz, 4 gig of ram, 250g WD hdd, a dvd burner, 2600 ATI mobile video card with 512 dedicated ram, and Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and I gotta tell ya, this puppy runs great (and it was a terrific deal at $635 US).

Fast and quick, solid and reliable. So there is little if any incentive to OC it, not that that would be a good idea for a laptop, but as is, it's a fast machine. I love tweaking systems, building them, but this thing runs so well out of the box. It sort of rains on my enthusiast's parade, if you know what I mean. Yeah, it can't compete with my two c2d desktops in terms of gaming performance (though it's not bad with its dedicated 2600 ati card), but for all other tasks, it holds its own.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by alex666 View Post
    This is a fascinating disucssion. I've got all 3 of my systems in my sig OCed as high as they will go temperature (air) permitting. But I just got my first laptop, a Gateway with a c2d mobile 2.0GHz, 4 gig of ram, 250g WD hdd, a dvd burner, 2600 ATI mobile video card with 512 dedicated ram, and Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and I gotta tell ya, this puppy runs great (and it was a terrific deal at $635 US).

Fast and quick, solid and reliable. So there is little if any incentive to OC it, not that that would be a good idea for a laptop, but as is, it's a fast machine. I love tweaking systems, building them, but this thing runs so well out of the box. It sort of rains on my enthusiast's parade, if you know what I mean. Yeah, it can't compete with my two c2d desktops in terms of gaming performance (though it's not bad with its dedicated 2600 ati card), but for all other tasks, it holds its own.

marty
    that is a pretty good deal for those specs, wonder how the 2600 fairs with games though? would that be closer in performance to an 8600 or a 7600?

it's amazing what kind of power you can get in laptops now,mine isn't even a year old yet and even after some upgrades it just matches up to that one and it was almost twice as much, and THAT was a deal when i got it.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    more fun back then? PFFFFT. it's more fun now that i don't need to spend weeks doing it, instead maybe a few days at the most.

i do not miss doing wire tricks to unlock a different set of multipliers, or whatever i needed for a decent oc.

definitely never did any pencil tricks myself, of course back then i was more or less relying on the parents for spare parts, or spending a months wages at KFC for parts. even still, i don't think i'd be willing to do that to my hardware anymore.

i like tweaking too, it's just that i've learned from past experiences by now, i no longer care to squeeze every last meaningless ounce of performance out of my system to shave a few fractions of a second off my super pie time. don't have the time much anymore either.

Dude how can you say that,if you get a nice OC it makes a big diference.

My old x2 3800 was a lot faster @ 2.7 then default 2.0

Lets just say that Crysis was unplayable for me @ 2.0

@ 2.7 it was much more playable

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

So uhh anyone know how to decypher the hexadecimal code of the new Phenom NB clock multiplier?

Dude how can you say that,if you get a nice OC it makes a big diference.
    poci, I think he meant squeezing another 50MHz, not just not overclocking.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)