Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: No one overclocks anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Yes, Poci, but at our advanced ages we hardly even buy ripe bananas, much less worry about a CPU lasting so long! Hey, I'm just kind of stoked to have heatspreaders on everything! Remember killing a chip trying to mount a monster copper sink on old Tbreds?
    I remember stabbing a board.

The mini ninja is just as hard to mount as the old days

Mine just went in the recycle bin
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

i was going to say it's going to get easier as time goes by uc but that was almost a year ago.

ud

Remember killing a chip trying to mount a monster copper sink on old Tbreds?

I chipped a couple, one quite badly, but they all kept working.

My worst T'bred moment was doing a cooler comparison for the AMDWorld site and forgetting to plug the fan in when I left it running RC5 at full overclock as a heat test. Anyone who remember RC5 will know that it heated a CPU like no other program. I came back to find a locked solid computer, which wouldn't then POST. I took the cooler off and the copper base has actually been stained by the heat. But after 24 hours the CPU was working again, and I got it back to exactly the same overclock.

M

I wrecked a couple chips and stabbed several boards. I do remember my first resistor voltmod. Seeing the Vcore go up right from the BIOS was awesome. I'm amazed I never lost one as a result of that. RMA would have been out of the question!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I put a vantec hsf onto a t-bred b on my old soltek drv5 and failed to remove the very thin plastic wrap on the bottom of the sink. I swear, that soltek mobo shook like a milkshake machine. I started it a couple of times with the same effect and then realized my error (this was my first mobo, 2nd cpu). I removed the plastic wrap, re-applied the AS3 I had at the time, and it was good to go. That same mobo is sitting on a shelf right now with the same t-bred b and the same vantec cooler and it still works perfectly (I still have one of the original samsung 256 dimms in there as well).

That was a huge moment in getting hooked into building and tweaking systems. That drv5 was ostensibly a kt-333 mobo, but you had to do quite a bit of voodoo to the on-board jumpers, and with that t-bred b, I got my cpu and memory speed in sync (333) with the cpu running at just under 2.2GHz, which was pretty fast in the spring of 2003. Compared to the pally that had been running at 1.47GHz async with the memory, that system flew. I donated that system to my son's school a few years ago, and it was running just fine until a year of so ago when the in-house IT guy stripped the system for parts.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Those old AMD chips from before the IHS days were fun. In a way we were better off--temps are able to be lower. However, I can appreciate AMD's position on RMAs due to broken dies.

I think a lot of why there isn't much buzz about overclocking anymore is that it is more complicated but at the same confusing time more easy. There are much better-labeled BIOS options for doing it. There just isn't as much chatter. Most of us who were learning the ropes back then now just OC our stuff and don't talk much about it. That one guy was right though, you're more likely to find OC news on forums like XS. PCP is still a better swiss army knife of computer topics though.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Yes, Poci, but at our advanced ages we hardly even buy ripe bananas, much less worry about a CPU lasting so long! Hey, I'm just kind of stoked to have heatspreaders on everything! Remember killing a chip trying to mount a monster copper sink on old Tbreds?

Upper left had corner of the die, but this one survivied!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Those were the days, weren't they? I joined in May 2002, and my name on here reflects the hardware I was using at the time. I was on a Thunderbird 1200MHz CPU using a motherboard with the AMD 761 chipset. It was an ASUS A7M266 if I recall.

I think I had just gone to an 850 T'bird when I joined. Got it to 1018MHz on an Asus A7V.

My other scary moment was taking the cover off my old Slot A 600MHz - if I broke it then I simply did not have the money to replace it. For those who never tried it, it took a lot of force, and involved using a screwdriver very near the internal circuit board.

M

The pre-socket A days of overclocking where probably the most adventureous. Overclocking Pentium 3 Celerons, slot 1 CPUs, etc. My first system was built when overclocking started to get easier with the new nForce 2 chipset. This chipset and everything after that is what made overclocking a standard feature nowadays.

Yeah, all hail the nForce2!! Man, I remember getting to 200 FSB on an Abit k266 and feeling like I had won something really big!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I was cleaning out my computer junk drawer the other day when I came across the very first cpu I bought for my first computer build. I bought in back in January 2000 if I remember right. Anyway, still attached to the top of it is a "Golden fingers" oc'ing device. Anyone remember those? Mine's similar to this one but not exactly the same.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

I remember paying $50 for that thing, but it was totally worth it as it took my 500mhz Slot A Athlon all the way up to 700mhz!

BTW, read this last paragraph from the review above:

Doc's Note: It is not clear that Athlon overclocking will be possible in the future. AMD, like Intel, is shifting it's processor line back to a pin-and-socket ("Socket-A") format. When this happens, and the Slot-A format is phased out, Athlon overclocking will probably come to an abrupt end. It will still be possible to get a small boost by overclocking the Athlon's font side bus frequency, but this option does not provide nearly as large a performance increase as with multiplier overclocking.
    Last edited by kbohip; 09-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Madhatter, those coppermine celerons were a load of fun weren't they? I had a 533MHz one that did 940MHz. I ran it close to there for a while until the motherboard blew up. Later on about half way through high school I would come to find out that the SOYO SY-6BA+III mobos were blow-up friendly. The electronics lab went through 3-4 of them while I was there. No, they weren't due to me.

my first couple overclocks were all dipswitches and jumpers, sure am glad those days are gone!
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I have an FIC super7 Via mvp board with jumpers. Believe it or not they mislabeled the 3 different sets on the PCB!!!!!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)