Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Superlink and Quads...

Hey, question for anybody else running Superlink on a Quad CPU system... how many instances of Superlink are you running?

In BOINC Manager, I show four "running" and three "waiting to run"... and in Windows Task Manager, I show six instances using between 100K and 300K of memory... a seventh is only using 12,000K.

Slows the system down considerably when you are only running 2GB of memory. I know Superlink is a memory hog... but should there be SEVEN of them running?!?

Re: Superlink and Quads...

I suspect you have come to the same conclusion, but I'll say it anyway. Superlink doesn't let go of memory until a given unit reaches completion. "Waiting to Run" is more-or-less resident in memory but not using CPU cycles. Given that Superlink updates the completion percentage in 10% spurts, that may be a good thing. If it only checkpoints every 10%, then dropping out of memory could lose up to 9.9% of work. Just a workin' theory, n'Stuff.

Yeah, but... why do more than the four running processes run, or wait to? I mean, fine, four instances taking up the memory they need, sure. But why the other three?!? Have you seen this on your machine, or is it just something happening to mine 'nStuff.

Something's not right there fluff. On my 8-way I show 8 running and the rest are all "ready to start"

Might want to re-attach, or just don't allow new work until the others fall thru, or something.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Are the deadlines all the same?

Aye, Fluff, I've seen it. I think it's a function of BOINC's scheduling priority. It starts a given unit, and if resource share, deadline, and moon phase so dictate, it'll switch up which units are running. In all seriousness, I suspect the suspended units got started based on when they were downloaded and then got bumped by others (downloaded later, my hunch) that have an earlier deadline. Can't say that I've ever worried about it.

Check your preferences to see if you have "Leave applications in memory while suspended" set to yes.

Bingo.... thanks Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Bingo.... thanks Big Red!
    No problem.