Seagate ST3500630AS (500 GB SATA2 HD) X 2 RAID
    Lite-On LH-20A1L-05 SATA DVD Burner
    Giga-Byte 3D Aurora 570 Case
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750 Watt) Power Supply
    Windows Vista Home Premium X64

Team Swordfish

Re: Building New System

Looks great!

Well, other then the last item on your list.

Let us know what you think of Aeneon RAM.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

The system is up and running. A am a novice at overclocking. Do you prefer to increase or decrease the multiplier. It is set at 9 but I can adjust. So far, I haven't messed around much. I got it up to 3.33 by increasing the FSB from 333 to 380. It seems fine for awhile but invariably I return to see that it has rebooted. When i attempt to log in I often get a BSOD. I just bumped it down to 3.25 and it is doing fine. It seems to me that this setup has way more to offer than that. I'm sure it has to do with my lack of experience. I haven't played with voltages or anything else yet.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Team Swordfish

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

To overclock is madness!

I strongly suggest that you try and go to a forum which is specifically related to your board.... no need to reinvent the wheel when somebody has already done it for you, but I will give you some tips.......

first of all, your cpu temps are important. I prefer to keep these temps in the 60-65c area max...... others run higher perhaps..... but I don't.....

You have to determine first of all how fast your chip will run.....

for this, I would leave the FSB stock, and bump up the multiplier till you hit a wall, then you want to start increasing the Vcore (CPU Core voltage). On air cooling, I would not exceed 1.5v (maybe a little more), but this is primarily based on your temps. Water cooling is your best bet if you are serious about getting all you can.

I would bey you could easily get 3.5ghz with that chip by simply increasing the Vcore and multiplier.

Once you figure out what your max speed is at a reasonable temp, then you can start trying to possible increase your FSB and lower your multiplier to increase your memory scores. 1:1 FSB and Memory speeds is where your best memory scores will come from. You may have to increase your FSB and Memory voltages some to get to your sweet spot.

You want your highest FSB and Cpu speed, while maintaining a reasonable CPU temp.....

Check these threads.....
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/post...45-ds3l-27417/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/over...45-ds3r-27435/

although not specific to your board, this may be worth a quick read....
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Let us know how you make out. I personally wouldn't settle for less than 3.5-3.6ghz with your setup!

Hope this helps a little!

It helps allot. I appreciate your insight Thelmores. The multiplier was something I had no clue about whatsoever. I didn't know whether to try increasing or decreasing. I remembered hearing once that one aspect causes your cpu to tun hotter than another. I suspect this might be the FSB.

My cores are running in the mid 60s with core one sitting on 68.

Team Swordfish

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post

My cores are running in the mid 60s with core one sitting on 68.
    That being the caSe, I wouldn't increase your Vcore much..... unless you are willing to get some better cooling. Those temps are fine, as long as that is full load..... which I assume it is! LOL

But just a small increase in Vcore may be all you need..... just watch those temps if you bump it up a little!