Question Windows XP drive partition space?

I'm not really sure where to put this so I'll try here.

I am going to install Windows XP on a new drive and I'm thinking of partitioning the drive out. How much space should I allocate for an install of XP and then the usual programs to go along with it? I'd like to be able to wipe the OS area without worrying about all of my files. It's a 400 gig drive so I was thinking of giving it something like 30-40 gigs for Windows, Office, Steam, Firefox, Photoshop, BOINC, Winamp, and the like while keeping the other part of the drive out of harm's way and able to save my music, movies, documents, and so on.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: Windows XP drive partition space?

I think that 30 to 40Gb might just be cutting it a bit close.
    60 to 75Gb would give the OS and the other apps some breathing room to work.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

I agree with oldbrave. 60-70GB or more is better. Ultimately it would be best to add another hard drive instead, rather than partition the one you have.

Ultimately it would be best to add another hard drive instead, rather than partition the one you have.
    I agree.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I agree but I don't have the money for another hard drive. This one is a SATAII 400gb while the two I'm currently running are IDE 80 and 40 respectively. The 40 is a Maxtor 5400 rpm that I use for music storage while the 80 is a 7200 rpm Seagate I use for Windows and programs as well as more file storage. If I'm going to use the 400 for file storage and Windows I would prefer not to have to worry about what to do with 300+ gigs of junk when I need to reinstall/reformat (always a question of when, not if). I hope that's not for some time but you never know.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

with that much stuff on your main drive it is a problem....without having another drive to backup the stuff you are leaving yourself wide open to losing it if the whole drive goes down....

obviously, you can reinstall to the Windows partition without disturbing the other partition, but if the whole drive goes RAW (gawd, I hate that when it happens) due to playin' or whatever

you need some kind of backup solution, sooner or later it will bite you....

there are ways to get the informations back in most cases, lots of extra work and the good recovery proggies costs some $$$$, equal to getting another large HD for backup....

i prefer to put my OS on a single HD, one main partition, using a Rapty 74 10,000 rpm for that, perfect size, a little large for XP 32bit, about perfect for Vista 64bit....

whatever floats yer boat...

laterzzzzz
    i'm here, there, everywhere.

AsRock AOD790>Phenom II 965>Freezone + Eliminator + Dangergen....and a smidgen of clockage, 3.9gig exactly

Why not use the 400GB purely for storage and use the 80GB purely for Windows and apps?

Well I was hoping to speed Windows and my programs up a bit by switching to a SATA drive with eight times the buffer, but you're right and I'm thinking I will use the 80 gig as my Windows drive.