Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

tub resurfacing fumes

so, my tub got resurfaced today. when the guy came i opened my living room windows (it's right next to my bedroom and my bathroom). i went back to my apartment around 11am and the fumes were so strong i couldn't get in the apartment without holding my breath. the were BAD! REALLY BAD. i can't stress that enough. so, i opened my bedroom window too. i went back at 4:30pm to check on it and it's still too bad to breath in the apartment. not as bad but still about 75% power. the smell is at a level around... my guestimate... 75 times worse than paint fumes. (it was 100 times worse!). i call the leasing office and they just give me the run around about it and tell me the fumes won't harm me.

is that true? i find that VERY hard to believe. now i'm worrying about the food i had out being ruined. even though most of it is in plastic bags still (the original packaging) i've had my dust masks ruined in that past even though they were in plastic bags that were fully sealed (i was trying to keep a dust mask in the locker i keep my paints and paint thinner/mineral spirits in. every time i open it it smells very strongly of chemicals).

should i worry? are the fumes dangerous?
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Re: tub resurfacing fumes

should i worry? are the fumes dangerous?
    Only if you breathe them !

i knew they were full of crap. time to see if the fumes are still there.

how can they justify telling someone they're not harmful? i guess this is like when they tell everyone the pesticide they use isn't harmful once it's dried.
    see the light,
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;

i called my coach and i couldn't stay with him as i had no way to get there. i called the cops, they told me nothing can be done unless i get sick. so, i went in, got a bit dizzy, called them back. they came and told me they could smell it from the walk way (i'm on the third floor!), and that they couldn't do anything but tell me to call an ambulance and that's a bit much as i don't feel deathly sick and i don't have health insurance, but at least i have a witness to the smell.

what can be done about this? will this stuff have ruined any of my food?

so, now i get to sleep in the art building for the night.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

Anything inside the fridge should be fine, providing the seal is intact.

Any opened food in the cupboard or on the counters I'd throw out.

i have the same problem where i work. dang janitor painted our technology building. one freaking room at a time for the past 4 months. there hasn't been a day when it hasn't stunk of paint fumes in the past 4 months. hes just NOW finishing. and it stinks worse than ever. evidently the guy doesn't understand the concept of ventilation. im beginning to understand why he acts the way he does.

i refuse to work in that so i simply do everything out of office and or find excuses to stay away. i only go int for a few minutes at a time to grab something i need then im gone again.

unfortunently this is one of those small buildings thats practically air tight so unless you open it up the fumes are gonna take forever to clear out. and because of the "expensive" equipment in there no one wants to open it up, ive tried.

damn smell makes me gag. i feel sorry for the poor idiots that truly believe its harmless. wait not really, they do it to themselves.

/ rant

Go into the bathroom. Shut the door. Wait for at least 15 minutes while taking deep breaths. Come back and write about it.

i'm not into getting high.

so, i slept on the freezing cold concrete floor of the art barn. i didn't get to eat dinner. the place still stinks pretty badly. i can't use the toilet unless i want to get light headed. so, i haven't eaten breakfast and can't concentrate enough to read this photography book of mine...

ALL THE WINDOWS HAVE BEEN OPEN SINCE 11 AM YESTERDAY! THE LIVING ROOM WINDOWS HAVE BEEN OPEN SINCE AROUND 10 AM YESTERDAY! AND IT STILL IS UNLIVABLE!

i want to pull my hair out... and EAT!
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

tried a fan?

i'm sure the fumes won't affect you in the short term, when your around 85 though you might find a lump and attribute it to that week when you had your tub resurfaced and you'll curse yourself for it.

but for serious, plumbers smell all sorts of fumes day in day out and they usually make it to at least a month past retirement before kicking the bucket!
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

My cousin and uncle both have their own business refurbing Tubs (sinks, old stoves, refridgerators) in apartment buildings. I think my uncle charges $290 a tub, so it is a substantial savings as opposed to buying a new tub. Of course he doesnt just do one tub, he is signed for contratcs, but you get the point why people do this.

I have helped them MANY times on their jobs and yes, the fumes are ridiculously potent.

My uncle wears a full face mask with the option of a small oxygen tank. My cousin has not used Air, but does use the same full fask when spraying.

Basicly, when I have helped them, I clean and mask/tape for them. Once its cleaned properly, Im told to GTFO out of Dodge.

They spray 2-3 coats, each coat needing @45 mins before the next is applied. In between cots, they normally go prep another unit, or spray another sink/tub if time allows.

At the end of the day, ALL windows are left open, and 2-3 LARGE room fans are in place all night. I'm talking shop grade "hurricane" fans.

With fans running, even the next day the fumes are potent. Not in your face omg-I-cant-escape-them bad, but still heavy in the air. Like standing next to a car that was just painted.

Anyways, so yea... I wouldnt hang around until you got some major ventilation going on.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    i'm not into getting high.

I guess I should have put a at the end of my post instead of a but I figured you'd know I was kidding.

i have done this myself on a tub. the first time i sprayed i had to stop after a few minutes. i bought a breathing mask from home depot with special filters for fumes. it is basically a 2 part epoxy that is sprayed on the tub. home depot sells a kit too..... they highly recommend wearing a full face mask.
    you need fans.... this thing takes upto 5 days to completely dry/set.
    AMD64 3200+, MSI K8N neo platinum, 1Gb Corsair 3200xlpt 2-2-2-5 1T, Windows XP SP2, Soundblaster 5.1 Live, GeForce 6600GT Leadtek.
    Primary Master-WD 80gb, slave - IBM40gb;Secondary Master-NEC DVD RW, Slave-LG cdrom
    no O/C

yeah. they put a vornado big ass super fan in my apartment yesterday. the tub still emits fumes but with the fan on shooting air straight out my window it's not too bad if i leave all the windows open. i had to sleep in my living room last night. if i turn the fan off for 10 minutes or so, and leave the bathroom door closed, the fumes come back, so it's still emitting fumes. they're pretty strong without the fan on.

this started the day yesterday. they said they'd leave the fan till friday afternoon.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

How's it feel not to shower after 2 days though? They should have told you how to vent the place thoroughly before they did the job, IMO.

what happened is i went to the leasing office and told them about the tub. they just told me to make sure there was no soap scum on it. i did that. then they called me after a while to schedule it. they wanted me to call them back so they could schedule it but i kept putting it of and forgetting to. so, they decided to send the guy anyway. then they tried to blame it on me by saying that they would have warned me about the fumes if i had called them. i'm calling •••••••• on that one.

second off, they didn't even bother to vent it properly until i complained AGAIN after having to spend a night on the art building floor. they told me the fumes should have been gone after 3-4 hours and that no one else complained when they resurfaced their tubs. they also told me the fumes weren't harmful.

is this behavior in violation of any laws? i'd be very happy to nail them for this.

oh, do any of you know if these fumes could have effected the structual integrity of a bicycle helmet? they say never to spay any cleaners on these helmets, and given the density of the fumes i have to wonder if they could have effected it. it seems lighter in color now.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller: