Corsair 750W - 5v

Have not had to post here in a while but I need some help.

I'm typing this from work so I can't give you exact specs until I get back home.

I was running a 6400 (Black Edition) on an MSI AM2 board with an Antec 650W PSU. I was using an old 7800GT. Running fine for months. I had a Gigabyte rocket cooler as the HSF that I swapped out for a lower profile and less noisy Zalman. One day I get up and no power. I smelled the odor of the magic smoke that makes all electronic things run so I immediately pulled the PSU. Tested it with a PSU tester and it showed the -5v line was gone. Crap. Had a backup of the same PSU. Installed it and immediately the same thing happened again. Thinking it was the swap of the HSF (Gigabyte Rocket Cooler to a Zalman) I RMAd the second PSU. Got it back a few weeks later pretty much in the same condition I sent it out- the -5v line still out. I figured that Antec wasn't going to honor the warantee and returned it. I thought it odd they would spend the money to ship back a broken PSU themselves.

So I originally figured the Zalman was (somehow) shorting out PSUs because it was the only new addition to the system. Bit the bullet and ordered the Corsair. Got it yesterday and dammit if the magic smoke appears. I check it and the -5v line is gone. Crap!!!! I was about to chuck the whole thing when I read in the Coraisrs manual that it has no -5v line. ??? Now I suspect the motherboard was never rated to actually handle the beast of a CPU I had put in it and finally gave up the ghost.

Problem. I have no spare AM2 board.

So my questions are as follows:
    Are the PSU's actually fried?
    Anyway to check the MB?
    Do I need a 125w capable board that I only just discovered yesterday?

And before you ask. I don't overclock.

Let me know if ther are any details I left out and thanks for the assistance in advance.
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

Re: Corsair 750W - 5v

The -5v line is not part of the ATX 2.x spec, which is why it failed, there is none and the motherboard doesn't use it.
    Your problem lies else where, most likely the motherboard since 3 psu's have failed to start the system. (I assume you have plugged them into the board. If you just used your tester plug one in and see what happens.)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks. I just needed someone to confirm since I've been out of the "game" for a while. I figured the MB was probably inadequate all along and most likely gave up the ghost.

Anyone wanna recommend a motherboard?

I like my dfi infinity. Except for ocaaisonally having to jump start the network interface (nvidia problem, unplug and plug in the jack) when booting after a year, no ptobleme nice over clock, plenty of options. But I would buy an AMD2+ board with the 700 south bridge. Comes with built in graphics which are decent but is more flexible including being able to use the NB GPU as sli or to do common work while powerful card is deactivated. Very flexible many options available.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks.

Hard to beat a Biostar.

I recommend the Asus M3A32-MVP or M3N-HT depending on whether you like AMD or nVidia chipsets better. Those are the nicest MB's I've seen running lately. And Asus puts in a lot of nice usability features for the enthusiast that haven't been around on boards other than the DFI LanParty series.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

Back to report all PSU's are functioning. Wound up picking up an Asus M3A78-T. Didn't quite need all that much motherboard as the M3A32-MVP or M3N-HT (quite frankly the wife would kill me). Paired this up with an 8800gtx and 4gb of GSkill.

I just have to face facts that I"ll never get anywhere close to cutting edge. This should do for a while.

Thanks guys.