1.2 Resetting the Notebook
If the notebook you are servicing has an unknown password, follow these steps to clear the password.
These steps also clear CMOS:
1. Prepare the notebook for disassembly (refer to Section 5.3, “Preparing the Notebook for Disassembly,” for more information).
2. Remove the real time clock (RTC) battery (refer to Section 5.16, “System Board,” for more information on removing and replacing the RTC battery).
3. Wait approximately 5 minutes.
4. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the notebook.
5. Connect AC power to the notebook. Do not reinsert any battery packs at this time.
6. Turn on the notebook. All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.