Question How to Reset BIOS on HP Pavilion zd8000 Lappy

I am just not finding a straight answer out there. I thought for a laptop it was take out battery, unplug, and power up, holding the power button in for @5+ seconds, but this isnt working.

Any ideas? If I need to crack this lappy in half, Im just going to let the customer have it back and tell him to call up HP, I dont have time for that. I have 30 boxes in here now that I know how to fix.

This laptop came to me with a power cord barely functional its so cracked up, and the head wont fit tight into the laptop, no battery and a sad story....

Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Re: How to Reset BIOS on HP Pavilion zd8000 Lappy

Give it back.
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

check out the bottom of the case. you may find a pin hole for the reset.

ud

Laptops usually have 2 batteries. One main battery for running the laptop, and a second battery to run the CMOS. This second battery tends to be hidden either behind a small door held on by a screw in the main battery compartment area, or the back of the computer. The door normally about 1/2" x 1 1/2" long. Other manufactures will hide this battery in beside the RAM or CPU, so you'll have to take off one of these covers.

As far as your particular laptop goes, I'm not sure if there's an easier way to reset it. Have you tried looking in the manual?

Get the service manual from HP support on line, and located the reserve or CMOS battery. Maybe an hours worth of work, just replaced the CMOS batteries in two Latitudes. They were under the palm rest, had to remove keyboard, hinge cover, screen, palm rest, maybe the one you have is easier !

On my way to work in 15, thx for all the replys.

I didnt think about a user manual, good idea. I'll look for one. This lappy looks like it has seen better days. I feel bad for the guy, he paid $400 used for it in this shape. He wasnt far off from the $675 price I sell my new dual cores for.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Online post of the pdf: http://www.fixya.com/support/p381158...ok/manual-3309

1.2 Resetting the Notebook

If the notebook you are servicing has an unknown password, follow these steps to clear the password.

These steps also clear CMOS:

1. Prepare the notebook for disassembly (refer to Section 5.3, “Preparing the Notebook for Disassembly,” for more information).

2. Remove the real time clock (RTC) battery (refer to Section 5.16, “System Board,” for more information on removing and replacing the RTC battery).

3. Wait approximately 5 minutes.

4. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the notebook.

5. Connect AC power to the notebook. Do not reinsert any battery packs at this time.

6. Turn on the notebook. All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.
    Bah, guess I should make the effort and crack it. Thx for replys.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Hey one other thing, if his power adapter feels loose it may not be totally fubar. I opened a Compaq that had a wonky port, the port was fine. When I received the new power adapter it fit fine. It was the old adapter that was damaged. This lady had used duct tape to hold the cord just right so it would start, unreal. Can tell you some stories.

The seller should have made the laptop right before he sold it to your client, or at least discount it quite a bit !

Well, aside from the lack of battery and the cord being hair trigger, it runs fine. The WiFi nic seems fubar, but he brought be a pcmia card and was already aware of the onboard failure.

I was talking to him yesterday, he wanted me to "take any serial numbers I see off the laptop". I said no, I dont do that. He proceeded to tell me that he bought it from a friend to help him out, but he also wondered where this friend got the money to buy it originally.

Friggen shady laptop. I knew I shouldnt have touched it, now I'm all over it. I could have had 4 desktop repairs done too in the time I fiddled with this heap.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

I told you to give it back. When they come with sob stories and missing hardware I don't deal with 'em.
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM