Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 4GHZ on thermalright ultra 120 extreme?

Here r some screenshots of what i managed but it was causing errors. Temps weren't a problem even on the stock heatsink with a 70-80CFM @ 100% on top. I think if u can get a nice copper heatsink and use an incredibly high cfm fan, you can achieve decent temps under 60* C on 1.7V Vcore, atleast i did. I ran at 3.608ghz @ 450FSB for several hours under load then suddenly i saw my cpu hit 4594MHZ randomly! Caused by spread spectrum being disabled. Enable spream spectrum so ur cpu doesn't do this. It doesn't affect overclock stability, it actually increases long term stability in my testing. Here r some screenshots of my overclocking tests. I have now sold the system so these r when i had it. Only way for me to get it to run stable is to put Termination voltage, Vcore, and Northbridge voltages all at the maximum value (which i was extremely nervous about). Anyway...

Nice clocks.

Keep spread spectrum enabled if it really helps your stability when oc'd but from what I can find out it is meant to reduce stability when system is oc'd.

"Spread Spectrum can also cause problems with overclocked systems, especially those that have been taken to extremes. Even a slight modulation of frequency may cause the processor or any other overclocked components of the system to fail, leading to very predictable consequences.

Therefore, it is recommended that you disable this feature if you are overclocking your system. The risk of crashing your system is not worth the reduction in EMI. Of course, if EMI reduction is important to you, enable this feature by all means. But you should reduce the clock speed a little to provide a margin of safety."

Above taken from TechArp.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 03-06-2009 at 06:06 AM.

yeah just from my testing if ur running an extreme overclock ur cpu may be on the brink of crashing since spread spectrum will allow the cpu frequency to raise or lower slightly continuously. For example my cpu read 452.8Mhz fsb or 3622.1Mhz and what spread spectrum does is hold it at exactly what u set it to like 452Mhz fsb @ exactly 3616Mhz which in my eyes is better. It holds the clock since u may get a spike like i did in frequency causing the cpu to go to 4594mhz lol. I never understood its real world use even after reading alot until i see the frequency deviations that i don't like, I like for them to stay at Exactly what i set them to.

l8r