Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Theater discussion

Edit: decided to rename my thread since i've rambled on about this and that and everything else so far, it'd be nice to get some further discussion about everyones home theater setups as well as some question and answering going on for the home theater n00bs like myself!

think of it like a bar thread i guess...

was at best buy tonight doing a pricematch on a tv i bought (actually got 273 bucks put back on my card...SAWEEET)

so i was looking around at the receivers and they had a sony str-dg 820 for about 400 bucks. what i liked is the 4 hdmi inputs, i'd like to get a real receiver to replace my home theater in a box (mostly replace, i'll still use the dvd player in it till i get a stand alone blueray)

seems to have a ton of inputs, missing s-video though, which i found odd, but then again composite and s-video just don't cut it for me these days

read a few user reviews and they seem overall pretty positive, anyone have experience with sony receivers or this one in particular?

i'll likely just use the speakers that came with my home theater in a box, i'll probably void the warrenty by snipping off the quick connect ends though....this will suffice till i can get a better set of speakers.

overall i am pretty happy with my panasonic home theater, but i'd love to have a full receiver to manage all my audio and video in one spot.
    Last edited by Brandito; 10-17-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Re: AV recievers

well i pulled the trigger on the dg820, 299 from bestbuy with 30% ms cashback, so it's around 210 shipped. that's some major bang for the buck for what i'm getting. i realize this isn't a top notch receiver and that people seem to loath sony's audio quality, but in this price range it's really hard to beat.

i'm going to have to carefully remove the proprietary quick connects from the speakers that came with my home theater in a box to use temporarily with it, i'll use my receiver for the HTIAB for dvd playing as well. in the short term the only other piece i need to buy is a sub woofer because the sub with my HTIAB doesn't support rca style connections that i need for the dg820. i already have my eye on a sony w2500 for about 100 bucks at best buy, i have about 40-50 bucks in reward zone cash coming, so that will go towards the sub. sub seems pretty wel praised for its price point. again, it's nothing special but it will get me going.

eventually i want to get a nice decent mid ranged 7.1 matched set of speakers, might spend in the 5-600 area, not really sure, it'll be down the road though.

anyone have anything to throw in?

well the only thing I am waiting on to change my reciever out is one that will do dual zones that is affordable with several hdmi.
    does that one you just purchased do dual zones?
    As in you can have a movies going in one room, and be on the deck listening to tunes, drinking beer with the buds at the same time>?

The main problem with almost all (if not all) receivers is that the second zone will only operate from the analog inputs, not digital inputs.

nope, no zones, i'd think if you wanted to do that you'd just buy a second one that had fewer features.

or in my case, i'd just plug in the old jobsite radio.

well I sorta want to build a htpc one day, figure that would futurize me to be able to play all the music off of it thru the reciever.
    the old fashion way is kewl also, as you should know, I am in the woods, use to listeneing to the radio out in the middle of nowhere drinking beer and twisting, ops I mean chewing tobacco.....

I recently bought an Onkyo 606 3 hdmi and dual zone not that I use the dual in my apt but love the rec.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    I recently bought an Onkyo 606 3 hdmi and dual zone not that I use the dual in my apt but love the rec.
    been hearing a lot about that avr at the avs forums. seems to compare well with the 820 and 920 from sony. hoping my avr shipped today, no shipping confirmation yet.

now i'm looking at bd players, or possibly just getting a an oppo upscaling dvd player. panasonic recently released a very nice looking bd player for about 300, but i guess the dvd playback leaves something to desire.

i also read that oppo is putting out their own bd player with the same dvd upscaling as in their top of the line dvd player, but for a couplehundred more than the panasonic for sure, that's gonna be a tough decision.

I bought and lg hd/bd drive which so far it has work great for the price that I paid for.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin View Post
    I bought and lg hd/bd drive which so far it has work great for the price that I paid for.
    how well does it upscale dvd's?

my main decision for buying a bluray player right now is how well it upscales dvd's, i have 0 bluray discs and 300+ dvd's, safe to say i'll be watching way more dvd's on it, i really want to get good scaling, i've read very good things about ppo, so i may wait for them to release their bluray player and pay a bit extra. however if the new panasonics upscale pretty well i might save some ash and get one of them.

my receiver should be here today, so right now i'm gonna head to best bu6y and buy a subwoofer, that and i need to figure out how i'm going to connect my cyurrent panasonic speakers to the avr. i'm hoping i can nip the ends off and still re-apply the old quick connects later when i get some real speakers, i don't want to ruin any resale chances for the home theater in a box, might sell it to a friend.

The Blu-Ray drive Elvin is talking about doesnt do any upscaling. That is done in the computer.
    I have the same drive, and am very happy with it. I use Arcsoft TMT for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray watching, and Vista Media center (Windows media player) for regular DVD's. The quality is amazing. And this drive is now going for $120, including a bundle copy of Powerdvd.

I will second that.I can't be any happier since I did this htpc has work out better then I thought it would.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

i've been looking at the new panasonic bd35 bluray players. so far they seem to be THE player to get, i just still haven't heard much about dvd upscaling performance. still gonna wait and see what the oppo bd player sells for, i'm almost positive the oppo will be the bd player to get for people with large dvd collections who want the best image they can get.

hooked up my dg820 the other day, it's excellent, only a couple minor gripes about the lcd display (wish it supported two lines of text) and i wish i had a setting for the sw crossover, but other thn that it does a great job. paired it with the speakers from my home theater in a box and a sony w2500 subwoofer, 100 watt, cheapest i could find, but still i'm impressed.

i'm a bit surprised the speakers are working out, they had proprietary connectors i had to remove, the wires actually still have the metal pins on them that fit into the proprietary quick connects. just screwed the speaker terminals down onto them, being carefull not to crush the pins and they work. my main reason for doing this is so i can resell the whole home theater in a box after i get some better speakers.

for speakers i've been looking at jamo a102 hsc 5's. they're tough to get in the states though, but they're THE 5.1 set to get if you have a budget and still want good sound. i have yet to hear anything bad about them, other than availability.

watching a set on ebay, trying to get the seller to accept my best offer, saw today he dropped his selling price 25 bucks, so i'm hopefull. 375 bucks right now, i want to get him down to 300 if i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    <snip>
    for speakers i've been looking at jamo a102 hsc 5's. they're tough to get in the states though, but they're THE 5.1 set to get if you have a budget and still want good sound. i have yet to hear anything bad about them, other than availability.

watching a set on ebay, trying to get the seller to accept my best offer, saw today he dropped his selling price 25 bucks, so i'm hopefull. 375 bucks right now, i want to get him down to 300 if i can.

Looking at these (if i'm looking at the correct ones)
    the units in questions are closed back (not ported) telling me they need a serious amplifier to get some decent low end out of them. Then looking at the frequency response the mains only go down to 100Hz

looking at the specs of these speakers, it looks like they are 86 db sensitive @ 6ohms

I don't know, me personally I would look at different alternatives

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Looking at these (if i'm looking at the correct ones)
    the units in questions are closed back (not ported) telling me they need a serious amplifier to get some decent low end out of them. Then looking at the frequency response the mains only go down to 100Hz

looking at the specs of these speakers, it looks like they are 86 db sensitive @ 6ohms

I don't know, me personally I would look at different alternatives

Matt
    those are not the ones.

http://www.mangovision.co.uk/jamo-a-...r-set-59-p.asp

http://www.testseek.com/home_electro...d74311bc9.html

there's a couple reviews

my avr (sony dg820) is 110 watts x 7

this is the system i'm currently using

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

i'm actually pleased with the sound from the speakers i have now, i just want something a bit better.

the jamo's can be had here in the us for about 400, seems like a decent price, i don't think i'll find better for that price, not for a full 5.1 setup. if anyone does find better please do post them!