how do you get your credit report?

how do you get your credit report? are these "free" online places trustworthy?
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Re: how do you get your credit report?

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    how do you get your credit report? are these "free" online places trustworthy?
    They aren't "Free" You get a free report AFTER you subscribe to thier service. You can just go to Transunion, Equifax etc website, and fill out the application and submit it. By law, you are entitled to one free report a year. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
    Last edited by BIGDADDY51; 10-14-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

The site BD51 mentioned is the ONLY site you should go to for credit reports-- others are frauds or they try to sell you additional services.

Might not be a bad idea to pull one every 4 months instead of doing all three once a year.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

if you have any credit cards they often offer fraud protection services for a monthly fee, depending on said fee i highly recommend checking one out. my bank charges me about 10 bucks a month and i get triple bureau credit reports as often as i please as well as a credit score from transunion. i also get email alerts should anything on my credit report change.

i love it, it's actually made me a lot more responsible and conscious of my purchases and credit usage. it made me learn a lot about how to improve my score and then keep that score. checking 3-4 times a year is ok, but that annual credit report site only gives you one report from one credit bureau at a time, your report from different bureaus can differ quite a bit, not all creditors report the same info to all bureaus, or check all bureaus. you may have 6 credit checks on one bureau and 2 on the other two. also your credit score can fluctuate a great deal over a shorter time than you'd expect, know exactly what your score is before you go and apply for credit can greatly improve your chances of getting said credit and/or getting a better interest rate.

i've seen my score fluctuate 20 points or more in a couple weeks over something as simple as having a 15 dollar balnce on one of my credit cards.

you could say i'm a big advocate of checking your credit often, it's just a good habbit.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

A credit report is free, if you check the back of a credit card statement you can get 3 free a year or something. Getting your credit score is not free though. Thats the difference I bet some people don't realize.

how do you get your score (and i've never had a credit card.)? and what's the difference?
    see the light,
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;

how do you get your score (and i've never had a credit card.)? and what's the difference?
    the score is based on your report, each bureau has a different scale and scoring system, but a good score for one bureau is likely to mean you have a similarly good score at the other two, not always the rule though.

you'll have to pay to see your score.

last i'd suggest getting a credit card, build credit, and creditors like to see that you've had revolving credit accounts that are in good standing for a decent length of time. getting one greatly improved my score initially, then i got a couple more, each 6 months to a year apart. have one from each of the three major credit card companies, rarely if ever use them, doesn't matter though, they've all helped my score and are continuing to do so just by keeping the accounts open.

do not use the credit card unless you intend to pay it when the bill arrives, preferably before even, and pay in full. the only time i'd carry a balance is for low or 0% introductory rates. i have done this for large purchases, used the low rate or same as cash thing to lengthen out the amount of time i'd have to pay down an expensive purchase. if you do that you really gotta be sure to have it paid in full before the introductory rate ends or before the same as cash promotion ends, otherwise you're almost certain to get hit with a lot of interest.

it's very hard to get that first credit card, your bank is probably your best bet, some people told me sears or similar stores would be easy, they WERE NOT, i was declined twice by best buy and a couple times by home depot (i even worked there) as well as sears before i finally went to my bank and got one right away. after that it was easy to get the next one or two.

my first card had a pretty low limit, so after i had it a while i actually asked for a limit increase and it was doubled for me, never intended to use it, just looked good on my credit report. the more available credit you have the better your score generally, no doubt there's a point of diminishing returns, there's posibly even a tipping point. so don't go overboard.

as you can tell i like talking about this stuff, hopefully everything i've said is accurate, it certainly is to the best of my knowledge, i'm sure others will gladly chime in if i'm off base anywhere.

difficult my ass. these •••••• have tried to send me credit cards with $100,000 limits!

i ain't eatin devil's food!
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

difficult my ass. these •••••• have tried to send me credit cards with $100,000 limits!

i ain't eatin devil's food!
    yeah, highly doubt that you'd qualify for that 100k limit though, seen as you have no other current credit cards. do you have any loans at all? personal, auto, anything? if not a 100k credit card right off the bat, probably not happening.

right now my highest is 9-10k on a mastercard, it recently went up, can't remember what they increased it to.

student loans at approx. $50,000 (and no i don't waste my money on stuff. that's for 3.5 years of public university.)
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

A high school friend's DOG had credit card offers before from Capital One. Doesn't mean the dog would have gotten it.

My 1st one was from my Bank and so was the second one, 2k and 4k limits (much higher now). I use a CC for everything but I always pay it off. It just a short term loan on something I would have spent cash on anyways. Plus I get cash back so its like spending a little less than I actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
    A high school friend's DOG had credit card offers before from Capital One. Doesn't mean the dog would have gotten it.

My 1st one was from my Bank and so was the second one, 2k and 4k limits (much higher now). I use a CC for everything but I always pay it off. It just a short term loan on something I would have spent cash on anyways. Plus I get cash back so its like spending a little less than I actually did.
    i was actually watching tv last night (one of those clutter shows) and a lady was talking about credit cards, she was harping on the homeowner for using her credit card for small purchases, in the single dollar range. i never thought of it before, but it made sense.

what she was saying is not to use a credit card for small purchases, the reasoning being that creditors may see this and wonder why you're doing it, perhaps they'll assume you're actually not in a good financial position, and you may not be able to afford that pack of gum you just bought, this may cause them to lower your limit.

i'm really not sure how true any of that is, but it was interesting none the less.

the home owner reasoned that they used the credit cards to pay for everything for cash back rewards and the like. in the end the lady suggested they only use cards for high ticket items instead, and use cash for everything else.

i'm not a fan of carrying cash, you lose cash and it never comes back, lose a debit card and it can be canceled and you will lose nothing. she did say that carrying cash can curb spending issues though, you actually see your money going away, while using a debit card is just to convenient.

i'll stick with my debit card personally, there must be other ways to keep your spending in check, my personal way of doing this is setting up automatic weekly transfers from my checking account to a savings account at a seperate instituion. this way my money is saved before i can spend it and it's much harder for me to access (taking days for a transfer to go through) so i'm given much more time to dwell on whether or not the item i may want is truelly needed. so far it seems to work as i've never once transfered money in that savings account BACK to my checking.