psu advice needed please

An almost 4 year old (not overclocked) system, but still able to play Crysis med/low settings with playable frame rates. Really want to get my hands on Far Cry 2 but it would seem that my X850XT won't cut it. Is this the case?

Rather than spend 1,000+ on a new rig (circumstances prevent me from risking a pc death due to a messed up major upgrade) thought about getting a hd 4850. Not too power hungry, but not sure whether my current psu has enough reliable power. Or whether the whole system has really reached the end of viable minor tinkering and I now need to spend some serious money.

Any advice much appreciated - Thanks
    A8N-SLi Deluxe (Rev 1002)
    AMD 64 3500 (Winchester) stock h/sink+ fan
    2GB DDR400
    1x 120Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
    1x 200Gb Samsung Spinpoint
    2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint
    Radeon X850XT
    On board Realtek AC'97
    LiteOn SOHW-16535 CD-RW
    LiteOn DH20A4H DVD+/-RW
    560W ThermalTake PurePower (W0023R)
    Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (silver)
    Windows XP Home SP 2

Re: psu advice needed please

Should be good.

560W is plenty for your system even with a 4850.
    Compare with my system in the drop down menu if you like

560W is a fair bit of juice. I am not certain of this but I think you can get away with 2 4850's and a mid range cpu on ~600W PSU.

I'm going to have to disagree here, I think. The W0023R is an ancient design back from when Thermaltake was sourcing from Sirtec. The unit only has a single 22A 12V rail, and Sirtec's build quality was never that good to begin with. After 4 years, which is an eternity for a Sirtec, there's no question in my mind it's time to upgrade.

That said, something like a Corsair VX550 would do the trick. You'd almost be doubling your 12V capacity moving to that unit, and the build quality is a big leap ahead of that old Sirtec.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 10-29-2008 at 12:22 AM.

The best part of OW's advice is that you can then upgrade the cpu if you can find an x2 s939 and/or transfer the psu to a new computer. I mention the cpu upgrade because Crysis is cpu dependent.

The 850 was the last of the "low" power high performance designs, it's competitors the 6800's drew much more. Neither are in the same class as modern gpu's.
    The 4850 can draw over 8 amps of 12V, and you can see what that does to your 12v amperage budget. Add in that psu's lose power and stability as they get older (capacitor leakage, dirt) as well as when they get hot. You can try it, but even if it works it may not be for long and may cause random stability issues. Keep you eyes open if you go this way.

The combination of the x2 (which you can wait for a good opportunity) and a new psu (the VX is very nice) and will more than double your gaming pleasure along with the vid card. As I said earlier the VX or other like psu will move to the next generation quite easily, so the investment will not be wasted.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    The unit only has a single 22A 12V rail
    22A*12V=264W and is indeed pretty low
    (I've got an old raidmax 450W psu that claims 22A on the single 12v line)

But I also have 2 friends that recently bought prebuild computer with an e8400 and hd4850 on a 385W psu (10A on 12V1 and 15A on 12V2) ...

I think I can help you out a bit with this. I haven't been able to upgrade much in quite a while (Got married, then went back to school. Go figure.) so I'm still running the rig in my system specs. I upgraded to the 4850 about 8 weeks ago, while still running on an OCZ Modstream 450W. It ran fine, it caused no stability issues. After about four weeks running GPU FAH 24/7, the PSU started squealing a little. That was when I decided to replace it, and I picked up the earthwatts 650.

Now the OCZ Modstream 450W had one +12V(26A) rail and the 4850 with the X2 4400+ was a little too much for it after 3 years of service. No instability, mind you, but it was clearly beginning to break down.

Since you're running only 22A, and I had 26A to play with, it seems to me that you're headed for trouble.

I picked the antec earthwatts for two reasons: it was the cheapest 80+ PSU I could find over 500W, and it was pretty highly recommended by OW. Seemed like a good combination.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'