Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Nehalem: who's going to?

Memory bandwidth made no difference to C2D either, despite some claims to the contrary.

M

Now all I need is the TR socket 1366 bolt thru kit to finish this up... (i'm not gonna waste my time with the stock cooler)

Quote Originally Posted by solofly View Post

Now all I need is the TR socket 1366 bolt thru kit to finish this up... (i'm not gonna waste my time with the stock cooler)
    Nice,

Look forward to hearing about your experiences
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by solofly View Post

Awesome! I get mine on launch day. What motherboard are you getting? I'll race ya with the EVGA X58 and Thermalright TRUE Copper.

waiting on the 1366 Bolt-Thru kit as well..

I ordered i7.

Gigabyte ud5p (still in order)
    i7 920
    DDR3 - 1600MHz (Mushkin)
    Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

Finally got mine last week: i920, Thermalright Ultra120A-Extreme 1366, P6T, 3 x 1GB Corsair 1600MHz, plus a pair of WD 250GB 16MB cache HDDs to put in RAID 0.

Not all according to plan: the wireless NIC (Linksys Wireless-N jobbie) doesn't work in XP, and it looks like my Corair 620W PSU isn't up to the job. I thought it might not be, but it was worth a try. Just ordered a Corsair 850W.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Finally got mine last week: i920, Thermalright Ultra120A-Extreme 1366, P6T, 3 x 1GB Corsair 1600MHz, plus a pair of WD 250GB 16MB cache HDDs to put in RAID 0.

Not all according to plan: the wireless NIC (Linksys Wireless-N jobbie) doesn't work in XP, and it looks like my Corair 620W PSU isn't up to the job. I thought it might not be, but it was worth a try. Just ordered a Corsair 850W.

M
    What Video card? That supply should be up to the task.

No boot at all?

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Card is an XFX 285 with 670 core clock.

The rig starts, and runs apps that only need one or two cores. But trying to run all four causes random reboots. It's not temps (running Orthos on two cores is fine), so PSU seems by far the most likely bet. We'll find out on Tuesday.

M

Hummm...

I'll be interested to see if it boots with your new supply.

Turns out to be two issues. I still think the PSU was one, but I also need (it turns out) a relatively high QPI voltage to get this thing to stay running - about 1.50V. The board defaults to 1.2V as far as I can see, but no diagnostic tool reads that figure, so you don't know what "Auto" is.

I also had endless problems with Sandra benchmarks causing blue screens. Until I realised that my version of Sandra was 2007, and it doesn't know what to do with the on-board memory controller. Getting the 2009 version fixed that...

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Turns out to be two issues. I still think the PSU was one, but I also need (it turns out) a relatively high QPI voltage to get this thing to stay running - about 1.50V. The board defaults to 1.2V as far as I can see, but no diagnostic tool reads that figure, so you don't know what "Auto" is.

I also had endless problems with Sandra benchmarks causing blue screens. Until I realised that my version of Sandra was 2007, and it doesn't know what to do with the on-board memory controller. Getting the 2009 version fixed that...

M
    This cannot be right....1.5v for QPI/VTT just to keep it running at stock speeds?

I've had two 920's already and neither of them needed more than 1.25 vtt/qpi to run 200 bclk and 1600 memory.

Something is definitely not ok here.

And the problem with the corsair psu most liley lies in the fact that it has the split 12v rail design, and none of the rails are that powerful....single rail psu's FTW!

It's possible that I've still got a silly setting somewhere else - I'm new to i7 and still reading up and experimenting. Oddly, while still unstable, 1.2v is more stable than 1.3 or 1.4!

M