Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Indecency" on television

This should be no surprise for anyone who has ever read anything I've said here. I oppose censorship just as I oppose prohibition. It is not the government's job to keep safe our children's ears or eyes from material that some parents may find "indecent". By restricting what can be done or said the government acts in the place of a parent and makes our decisions for us. Why must we act only according to children, anyway? What of the rights of adult citizens? Are they not valuable, too? The government does not grant us freedom. Rather, we are by nature free and only give up to the government rights and privileges as we see fit. Why are "naughty" words a matter of concern but their synonyms not? Is there truly a difference between saying shit and shoot? •••• and fudge? No, because words are inherently meaningless. We ascribe to them all their meaning and provide them with any power they might have. Saying "Oh, fudge" is exactly the same as saying "Oh, ••••". The two words in that context have the same meaning and are interpreted as such. If you truly worry about what you child might hear or see on television, it is your job to regulate the material they watch. And yes, I realize the irony of having our words censored in this forum.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,4433666.story
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: "Indecency" on television

Words are censored on the forum to promote discussion. There is freedom with and without government or moderator control. Free speech is not a right to abuse other people unfairly.

In the UK, we have a 9pm TV 'watershed' that's supposed to divide 'family' entertainment from more adult themed programing. I think it's a fair compromise.

Agreed, and I have two kids. I do a far better job in controlling what my kids see than the government could ever hope to anyway.

BTW, and I was going to start a new thread on this recently but if you don't mind Orang I'd like to ask it in here.

What makes a bad word...well...bad? As far as I know the Bible doesn't mention any of the commonly used cuss words today. The Ten Commandments don't mention anything about not cussing. I even looked up the meaning of the F word and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what makes this word "bad".

I realize this is kind of a silly question, but it's something I've always wondered about.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Words are censored on the forum to promote discussion. There is freedom with and without government or moderator control. Free speech is not a right to abuse other people unfairly.
    And there is a lot of adult baggage that shouldn't be a child's problem and I'm sorry, but there would be a lot of shows that would be entertaining for kids to watch, but they're too junked up with UNECESSARY language and imagery geared solely for the adults. Moreover, if there are no restrictions, then there is no protection from those who would want to impose their morality (or lack thereof) on you.

My main problem with profanity is how unecessary it is. My problem with imposing sex is that it conveys a cheap promiscuity and not a relationship that just caters to the "as long as I get mine and screw you" mentality. It's simply entertainment business.

You are correct that there is a parental responsibility, but pulling the government out of it leaves them exposed and with no help.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 11-06-2008 at 02:09 PM.

I think some of the funniest bits on TV are when they take harmless film clips and bleep out innocuous words as if they're cuss words.

Have you seen todays parents? They could care less about what their kids watch, or learn. My wife is a teacher and has to deal with these people every day. Maybe 1-in-4 provide what we would consider 'good parenting'. Maybe half just care what grades their kids get (regardless if they LEARN anything), and the rest just dont care at all.

Sadly, someone has to step in and take care of these kids, and govt and (some few) govt employees are about the only ones who care anymore.

In the UK, we have a 9pm TV 'watershed' that's supposed to divide 'family' entertainment from more adult themed programing. I think it's a fair compromise.
    Same up here in Canuhduh, except (in our area) its 10pm. I actually found I enjoy TV Drama much more when it has "curse words". It makes the whole scene far more realistic when its timed right.

Not to mention, I never even knew there was an uncensored version of South Park until I moved up here!

On the topic of cuss words, I was raised by my grandparents, and grandma always told me, "If a man is cussing, its because he doesnt have the intelligence to find the proper words to voice his opinion."

..usually about this time grandpa would walk by saying every cuss word as he looked for his pencil that was tucked behind his ear as he was building a barn or cabinents or what ever, haha.

I teach my children the same thing. They are young, but in this day and age, younger children have been exposed to words (and more) then what we seen/heard as kids. I absolutly love when my 6 year old daughter says, "Daddy, that man should say darn it instead" or "Daddy! Your mouth is being dumb! Use your smart words!" as I let fly a cuss under my breath as I get hosed in CoD4...

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    Have you seen todays parents? They could care less about what their kids watch, or learn. My wife is a teacher and has to deal with these people every day. Maybe 1-in-4 provide what we would consider 'good parenting'. Maybe half just care what grades their kids get (regardless if they LEARN anything), and the rest just dont care at all.

Sadly, someone has to step in and take care of these kids, and govt and (some few) govt employees are about the only ones who care anymore.
    QFT unfortunately MHC

I noticed and am wary of abuse of the media and propaganda to influence a large group of people by selecting facts and situations. I mean, if I don't agree with it, there's always the off button that I can use at any time, or perhaps changing the channel. I might say something about it, I might not, although I do not agree with abuse of free speech to violate other people's rights.
    Last edited by 3dfxrain; 11-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.

I do not see it as a "morality" issue. Though many for censorship have taken that angle. I see it from a "what is appropriate for the age" issue.

My wife and I do control what our kid(soon to be plural kids ) watch. But I also do not want nekkid people on billboards or pr0n running at any times on publicly accessible channels. That puts the control of "when and where" my kids learn about these things outside of my control. And it is our decision as parents.. not the gubebrment's or that of anyone who thinks censorship in ANY form is bad. I say this in no disrespect to Orang's position but to merely voice my own position.

MY2C
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

soon to be plural kids
    Gratz. You do know what causes that though, right?

...there being nothing good to watch on TV!
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    Gratz. You do know what causes that though, right?

...there being nothing good to watch on TV!
    Thanks...!!

For a split second I thought you were going to say Pr0n...
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 11-06-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

lol

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Agreed, and I have two kids. I do a far better job in controlling what my kids see than the government could ever hope to anyway.

BTW, and I was going to start a new thread on this recently but if you don't mind Orang I'd like to ask it in here.

What makes a bad word...well...bad? As far as I know the Bible doesn't mention any of the commonly used cuss words today. The Ten Commandments don't mention anything about not cussing. I even looked up the meaning of the F word and there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what makes this word "bad".

I realize this is kind of a silly question, but it's something I've always wondered about.

That's an excellent point. I mean the forbidden words, depending on context aren't any worse than those not there. 'Stupid idiot' and 'dumb shit-head' are both insults, just one has a cuss word.
    All I can figure is somewhere the weight of certain words became un-classy. In order to be as offensive as possible, they popped out.

However, the context of the 10 Commandments doesn't list every itty-bitty thing. When they were handed out, they probably were done in context of the day. Kinda like something such as "obey the stop sign/light". A few thousand years from now, the unspoken background isn't immediately obvious. When someone today says to "obey the stop sign/light" we know about the red/green/yellow and turn arrows. That may not be immediately known down the line. I mean "Honor thy father and mother" is really loaded when you think about it.