Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: "Indecency" on television

The worst stuff should not be over the public airwaves. That's what cable is for. No parent can censor what their kid watches 100% of the time. Stuff coming over public airwaves should be fit for public consumption.
    Brian

Very difficult issue and I wouldnt assume how SCOTUS may find in the end.
    Certainly not by how the questioning and back and forth went.

You would think with the technology today that concerned parents could simply push a button on the tube...much the same way we can turn on "safe search" with most search engines....and from some list of offensive words...the word would be automatically "bleeped" for kids that happened to be viewing.
    No parent wants their kids hearing unnecessary course language.

The word filter we use...such that it is ...is simply a convenience for
    moderators etc. And I admit its dumber than dirt. •••• Cheney has always amused me.
    But what we gonna do.
    We take a look every couple of years...add some...remove some.
    The most recent adds.....couple of years I think were with
    slur type words.

I guess for me? As a parent? I understand both sides of the issue.
    I dont need language to be too buttoned up....but I weigh that with
    the other side of the coin. As a parent?
    Is a reasonable expectation that at "kids can watch the tube alone time"
    without hearing some language an imposition really?

Did that come out right[Im being distracted]?^^
    What Im saying is I think parents should have a reasonable expectation that at "family time/tube time"
    that little kids wont hear course/offensive language.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 11-06-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Our son was watching PBS this morning and they were describing the necessary foods to eat if you want to stay healthy. They described everything very well, lettuce, carrots, bread, and a bunch of other real specific stuff, up to one point... protein. The only thing they offered up for protein was eggs. I'm thinkin'... these goons are on a vegan diet pimpin' trick. And yeah, they did mention tofu. Jeez.

Maybe its just me, but that's just as bad in my eyes as saying some cuss words.

Tofu.

Where's the beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Our son was watching PBS this morning and they were describing the necessary foods to eat if you want to stay healthy. They described everything very well, lettuce, carrots, bread, and a bunch of other real specific stuff, up to one point... protein. The only thing they offered up for protein was eggs. I'm thinkin'... these goons are on a vegan diet pimpin' trick. And yeah, they did mention tofu. Jeez.

Tofu.

Where's the beef?
    Yeah, we've got canines designed for tearing flesh for a reason....though I can understand the concept of staying away from red meat if you want to stay healthy....most of the beef/chicken/pork we eat nowadays is so friggin jacked up with antibiotics.

I definitely agree there should be some censorship outside of the home, like the aforementioned billboards. Having naked hotties on those would be a recipe for disaster. Imagine the auto accidents around them! In the end though, it all comes down to the parent being there for the kid.

On the subject of curse words. I've read that some of the so called curse words in use today were once common words of the language, be it English or otherwise. It's funny to think that someday in the future a few of the words we use everyday might actually end up being curse words.
    Last edited by kbohip; 11-06-2008 at 06:59 PM.

I don't like to hear a lot of swearing to be honest. I find it's usually a sign of low intelligence or of an inarticulate person. I also don't like it when scriptwriters use to it fill in for proper dialogue because they're lazy. I'm thinking of Die Hard 2 in particular here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post

Tofu.

Where's the beef?
    Veganism eschews all animal products, including eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Yeah, we've got canines designed for tearing flesh for a reason....though I can understand the concept of staying away from red meat if you want to stay healthy....most of the beef/chicken/pork we eat nowadays is so friggin jacked up with antibiotics.
    Canine teeth are the primitive condition, and as generalizers we have simply not altered that portion of our dentition. Why we have five digits on each appendage, too. Also, federal law prohibits the use of growth hormones or antibiotics in poultry.

To kbo: The very idea of "curse words" (and that term) is that the words contain power. The power to corrupt, to perform evil, to malign, et cetera. The idea of words being innately powerful is an old one and still holds sway over our thoughts and activities. Cf.
    Quote Originally Posted by John 1:1
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Now, as for the idea of "safe television". If you are worried about what your child sees/hears without your supervision, what do you do when they are not in your care? I mean, when they're not in school and they're not at home under your watchful eyes. Do you run around trying to keep them from seeing the world, lest they know what actually happens there? Do you follow them at all times, prepared to shut off their senses from reality?

Why should society be punished because you fret about your child's education? Why must we not use naughty language for fear of your child hearing it? Are there not child-dedicated channels on television, like Disney and Nickelodeon? If you truly worry about them hearing naughty language, why don't you simply turn off the television?
    Last edited by Orangutan; 11-07-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typographical error
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I turned it off, although I might turn it on later when something interests me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_Code

I mention that^^to point out how nothing is new really.

Specific restrictions were spelled out as "Particular Applications" of these principles:
    • nakedness and suggestive dances were prohibited.
    • The ridicule of religion was forbidden, and ministers of religion were not to be represented as comic characters or villains.
    • The depiction of illegal drug use was forbidden, as well as the use of liquor, "when not required by the plot or for proper characterization."
    • Methods of crime (e.g. safe-cracking, arson, smuggling) were not to be explicitly presented.
    • References to alleged sex perversion (such as homosexuality) and venereal disease were forbidden, as were depictions of childbirth.
    • The language section banned various words and phrases that were considered to be offensive.
    • Murder scenes had to be filmed in a way that would discourage imitations in real life, and brutal killings could not be shown in detail. "Revenge in modern times" was not to be justified.
    • The sanctity of marriage and the home had to be upheld. "Pictures shall not imply that low forms of sex relationship are the accepted or common thing." Adultery and illicit sex, although recognized as sometimes necessary to the plot, could not be explicit or justified and were not supposed to be presented as an attractive option.
    • Portrayals of miscegenation were forbidden.
    • "Scenes of Passion" were not to be introduced when not essential to the plot. "Excessive and lustful kissing" was to be avoided, along with any other treatment that might "stimulate the lower and baser element."
    • The flag of the United States was to be treated respectfully, and the people and history of other nations were to be presented "fairly."
    • The treatment of "Vulgarity," defined as "low, disgusting, unpleasant, though not necessarily evil, subjects" must be "subject to the dictates of good taste." Capital punishment, "third-degree methods," cruelty to children and animals, prostitution and surgical operations were to be handled with similar sensitivity.

History

[edit] Before the Production Code

City and state censorship ordinances are as old as the movies themselves. However, after the United States Supreme Court ruled in 1915 (Mutual Film Corporation v. Industrial Commission of Ohio) that motion pictures were merely a business and not an art form, and thus not covered by the First Amendment, such ordinances banning the public exhibition of "immoral" films proliferated. The movie studios feared that federal regulations were not far off.

In the early 1920s, three major scandals rocked Hollywood: the manslaughter trials of comedy star Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle, who was charged with being responsible for the death of actress Virginia Rappe at a wild party in San Francisco during Labor Day weekend of 1921; the murder of director William Desmond Taylor in February 1922 and the revelations regarding his bisexuality; and the drug-related death of popular actor Wallace Reid in January 1923.

Other allegedly drug-related deaths of stars Olive Thomas, Barbara La Marr, Jeanne Eagels, and Alma Rubens resulted in persistent calls for censorship and "cleaning up" of Hollywood all through the '20s. These stories were sensationalized in the press and grabbed headlines across the country. They appeared to confirm a widespread perception that many Americans had of Hollywood — that it was "Sin City".
    Public outcry over perceived immorality in Hollywood and the movies, as well as the growing number of city and state censorship boards, led to the creation in 1922 of the Motion Pictures Producers and Distributors Association (which became the Motion Picture Association of America in 1945), an industry trade and lobby organization.
    The association was headed by Will H. Hays, a well-connected Republican lawyer who had previously been United States Postmaster General and the 1920 campaign manager for President Warren G. Harding. Hays immediately banned Fatty Arbuckle from the movies and instituted a morality clause to apply to anyone working in films. He also derailed attempts to institute federal censorship over the movies.
    In 1927 Hays compiled a list of subjects, culled from his experience with the various U.S. censorship boards, which he felt Hollywood studios would be wise to avoid. He called this list "the formula" but it was popularly known as the "don'ts and be carefuls" list around town. In 1930 Hays created the Studio Relations Committee (SRC) to implement his censorship code, but the SRC lacked any real enforcement capability.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 11-08-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    I turned it off, although I might turn it on later when something interests me.
    psst ,The Playboy channel is running a special, channel 591, and girls gone wild dvds are 2 for $10 "there are no dirty books, no dirty pictures, or magazines, only dirty minds." food for thought. Floffal is the newest dirty word I know. I got that straight from my kid. They are reworking al the dirty words ,so us adults won't have a clue. Remember, if your teenager calls his girlfriend his cave slave, get nervous,very nervous.
    Last edited by BIGDADDY51; 11-08-2008 at 04:35 AM.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

apparently contemporary community standards demand we give up our rights.

i wish that old ••••••• would die already so we can have our right to free speech back.

this has been a problem since the day this country was made... people running around acting like freedom should only be allowed so far as it suits them.

and kids shouldn't be watching tv anyway. that's another problem with this country. all these stupid little children running around watching tv and not learning how to put some effort and imagination into their fun. they should be playing with chem sets and legos... not watching the box of brainwashing and retardation.
    Last edited by old82; 11-08-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."