USB Devices Lock-Up Sys Gotta Be M-Board

I have a ECE Nforce4 939 motherboard I got it last year in a stock clearence sale at a electronic store where I live, from then it's been a very good system I started off with low parts and upgraded my way when sales came etc.

Now as of late this system will not let me use USB pen drives ext drives on a 100% fault free use for example if I am copying a large file say sometimes nVidia driver to pen drive (108mb) about 50% chance it will work. When it dosn't it locks up the system and reboots trying again maybe do the same thing it may transfer it.

It would even lock transfering from a USB storage device?

Now Ext HDD are another thing I attach them using it's 2 USBs to my board then to caddy I also have it powered up with it's own power supply plug. I was backing up my stuff music and useful programs to it the programs copied fine but when it came to 5GB of music it got upto 200mb and locked up. I had to do 1 album at a time and that was fine now after installing VISTA I used the MOVE action instead of COPY from the EXT HDD but it was ok not a problem.

When a Ext HDD is connected and it reboots it will not get passed BIOS until I remove the USB cable from it then it will carry on as normal.

I am copying them back for a back-up and now VISTA was fine with the programs back-up but the music it would stall and give me that solution thing. I can only think its the motherboard that is going in that section everything else is fine onboard sound, graphics CPU memory just that 1 little niggle.

I have been looking at selling everything off except the 8600GT and 250GB HDD for my next build I only need 3 parts and it comes to 200 would you say upgrade and leave it I was looking at a AM2+ build and 9650 Phenom.
    Windows XP 32bit SP3 (Moving to Win 7 RC1 64bit Soon)
    AMD Phenom 9550 AM2+ (4x 2.2ghz - Stock)
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G DS3H AM2+ (R1.0 BIOS F4)
    Kingston Hyper-X 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Kit (5-5-5-15 2.1v)
    Some Seagate RMA'd HDD (Upgrading To A SSD For Op Sys, & WD 250GB 7,200rpm SATA-II HDD For Storage)
    PNY 9600GT 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW
    Active Power 850w Mod PSU

Re: USB Devices Lock-Up Sys Gotta Be M-Board

What USB port are you using? I have encountered jump drives that refuse to work in front ports, but run flawlessly when plugged into the back, mobo usb ports.

I had read somewhere that the power (to run the drive) is cleaner from the mobo ports, where the ports on the front of your case (or hub) is "jumpered power" and can/will fluctuate enough to cause issues.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I would use the back ones from the motherboard I don't have my front case USB attached casing cables are all wrong I do have a USB Multi card reader with 1 port when I would plug a pen drive into that it would lock up also.
    Some Seagate RMA'd HDD (Upgrading To A SSD For Op Sys, & WD 250GB 7,200rpm SATA-II HDD For Storage)
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW

Yea, in my experiance, when USB ports start becoming an issue (as well as onboard lan, sound, or PS2) it generally means the board is starting to become flakey.

At this point I would verify that there is not a BIOs upgrade to remedy any specific issue your encountering. Next check all the caps on the mobo, anything swollen or do any of the caps have a crust on top? The crust will be "rootbeer" looking.

When you opened the box, was it dirty? Was the HSF clean, kinda clean, or down right impacted? If run under extreme heat situations for long amounts of time the motherboard can be an issue still with out clear signs of caps buldging.

-=M=-

EDIT: How long has the card reader been in the box? Was the computer/Jump Drives working before with the Card Reader installed? I would probably unplug that during testing as well.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Everything else is fine onboard LAN is good getting right speeds from my broadband connection, onboard sound is also fine I've checked the caps and there's no damage to any of them. Before I bought it I asked if I could see it 1st with it being old-ish tech and it on sale when I looked it was brand new everything looked great.

The board has the latest BIOS which was the last 1 ECS release 1.1k I contacted Tech help from ECS but I doubt I'll hear anything it's old tech and they probably won't support it now.

As for the card reader I bought it about 5 months ago I've only every used it twice but I mainly got it for the front USB port, I was getting the problem before install the card reader.

I'm going to upgrade to AM2+ I've put my board, memory, CPU and Fan on eBay for sale I have warned on the USB problem but I have stated that it may lock up occasionally when using USB devices printers are fine just storage ones.
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW

looks like a PSU problem. if usb powered devices crash, but not those that has their own power supply, then I would check that. it happened to me..