Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Re: The Obama Cabinet

Well I certainly like it "Si vis pacem, para bellum is a Latin adage translated as, "If you wish for peace, prepare for war" (usually interpreted as meaning peace through strength—a strong society being less likely to be attacked by enemies)."

Much better than the style of the nutless wonder currently residing on Pennsylvania avenue.

It's certainly how I live life - this morning, I was in the study reading email and heard dogs alert in living room. Looked up on security monitor and saw your classic "siding salesman" heading up the walkway. As he approached, Casey and my other 2 dogs were barking, I gave Casey the alert command and his level of agression escalated, then more praise and command, praise, command until he was wound up nice and tight. Front bay window is ceiling to floor and wide - steel bars across is on the inside running parallel to window sill dividing bars so they aren't real noticeable from the street (keep house looking normal and not like Stalag 13). You can see the steel bars once up on front porch.

Anyway Casey is inside raging and dude rings the doorbell - I'm watching him on the security monitor. Not more than 5 seconds after he hits the doorbell he spins and heads back down the walkway towards the street. I go to front door and open it up, tell Casey to stand down and say to the guy "What cha' got?". He is still retreating and mumbles something - the only part I understood was "you have a big dog" as he walked off down the street. Casey is now 130 pounds and a bad dude.

That being said - when I put him in the "Siding salesman" mode he gets it done from inside the house without having to even open up the door. I don't have "Pit Bull" mentality though and loath those that do. Casey is well socialized and an ambassador of good will most of the time. I let the neighboorhood kids pet him when on walks and such and take him out in public a lot - we do searching practice at 2 of the cigar shops I frequent - they all know Casey and like him - they allow me to take him in the cigar lounge and store. They love him at the nearby Petsmart.

But, it's sweet when some jerkoff comes to the front door that I don't want to deal with - I don't have to - he runs 'em off.

The dog in my sig is Beau Geste - that picture was taken in 1977.

Here's Casey.

He's a sweetheart of a dog most of the time and a wrecking machine when needed.

Last edited by SteveW; 05-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.

^^^

He's a sweetheart of the dog most of the time and a wrecking machine when needed.
    The best kind IMHO. My last two like that were a brother/sister act, Akita/Black Lab mix.

They went about 100lbs+ each with the male in the back of the photo above closer to 110. They were well liked by all the local kids and other pet owners. I lived in a less than stellar neighborhood at the time and they did their after hour jobs well. Come snooping about when you were not supposed to and they would make you wish you were elsewhere real quick. They proved themselves one night when some gang bangers broke into the auto body shop I lived next to one night. Alerted me.. kept them at bay long enough for me to get prepared. Two good sized mutts and a well heeled dude was more than a car full of bangers wanted to mess with. The cops caught them a short time after I called it in.. the local mounties found guns in their car too. Gun owner or victim.. the choice really is yours to make.

My side gate was close to the front door and I had a mesh covered hole cut in it so the pups could see down the driveway. I never had much issue with solicitors as the pups looked as if they could go through or over it any time they wished.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Beautiful animals there Scoot and Steve!
    Derailing topics with varied sidetracks since 2003.