Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why do people choose abortion over adoption?

i still haven't figured this out.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Re: why do people choose abortion over adoption?

Why do some people choose anything over any other thing? Personal differences. Some women don't want to go through the entire pregnancy and birthing process, others can't go through it for physical, social, religious, or economic reasons.

Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[8]

8. Finer LB et al., Reasons U.S. women have abortions: quantitative and qualitative perspectives, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2005, 37(3):110–118.
    Almost 9 in 10 abortions occur in the first three months and over 6 in ten occur in the first nine weeks of pregnancy.

Other than that, you'd best be served by asking the women who have chosen such an option themselves.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 11-09-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Why go through 9 months of morning sickness and 3 months trying to get your figure back for nothing?

selfishness is the first thing that comes to mind.

People find it easier to take rights from other people than themselves.
    Last edited by fatlazyhomer; 11-10-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    selfishness is the first thing that comes to mind.
    I'd say it's pretty selfish to point fingers and judge and condemn others' very private, emotional, and serious decisions. I guess we can suppose you've never had to make the choice.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Well, the only situations I've ever seen abortion being okay are:

Rape
    Incest
    Mother's life in jeopardy

As far as rape, and I've had to fight this argument before. Would you really want to carry some guys baby around for 9 months? Knowing that he raped you? Then having the child as a symbol of that?

I've known people who've went both ways on this, but I personally wouldn't give birth to the child.
    Well I won't back down, no I won't back down You can stand me up at the gates of hell But I won't back down Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down.Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

I'd say it's pretty selfish to point fingers and judge and condemn others' very private, emotional, and serious decisions.
    too bad,so f....ing sad thats how life is my friend.

I guess we can suppose you've never had to make the choice.
    never been an option for me or my current spouse but since your so arrogant and nose tho yes its crossed my path in life years ago. The past girlfriend wishes she had made another choice might I add.How about you have you ever had to make the choice either or do you just go around asking others that question when they dont jive with your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    i still haven't figured this out.
    Perhaps if you first looked at it from the viewpoint you seem to miss by your title selection, you would have a better understanding.

People don't choose abortion over adoption. Women make decisions on carrying a child to full term. Men support that decision.

In a general way, it is not an easy decision and there are many reasons why the various paths are taken if one is to assume personal choice is an option over religious beliefs.
    Last edited by CMB; 09-14-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: remove references to spammer

It doesn't help that the adoption system in this country is a friggin nightmare.

Last edited by CMB : Today at 09:26 AM. Reason: remove references to spammer
    wow. got me fooled. was a good comment spammer?

After a great deal of thought (no Facebook note yet- I may do one when I
    get time) I have decided that I'm ok with abortion.

Every time I get off, there's about a million potential children I've killed.
    If I have sex with the intent of having kids... does that make it justified
    homocide? Regardless, I think "life" doesn't happen until the kid is breathing.
    Until then... abortion is just another unused egg and sperm.

As to why abortion OVER adoption? Scars, ripped vagina, 9 months of
    pregnacy, ect. Now my question would be: What difference does it make?
    I can understand being against abortion- EVERYONE is entitled to their own
    beliefs. But the point there is: THEIR own beliefs. I don't think it's right to
    be able to tell a woman she MUST put her body through that if she doesn't
    wish to.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    wow. got me fooled. was a good comment spammer?
    You have no idea how advanced spammers are now, even bots. Spamming sigs, threads, posts, even throwing out on-topic comments to trigger searches that will hit their sites. Its a shadow war here behind the scenes, and what the Mods do tracing IPs, posters in other forums, etc is nothing short of amazing. 9 time out of 10 the Supers know a new account is a spammer because they've seen that IP operate in other forums. Spamming can literally kill a forum, sometimes in hours. I believe this guys IP was traced to a number of past spammers selling CC's numbers, and of course SOP is throw a few posts out there to look like a regular poster, then approach members through PM. Usually their contributions, if any, are stolen verbatim from other sources on the 'net. In this case looks like from Yahoo answers, but im whitelisted so cant really check right now.
    Last edited by mostholycerebus; 09-14-2009 at 11:31 AM.

I’ve always opposed abortion as a method of birth control.

Well I guess many people look for a trap door to escape taking personal responsibility.

But who am I to judge I don’t like people abandoning puppies either…

Its called free will, and without it what do we have?