Question Running Boinc in Ubuntu

OK first off sorry if this has been posted before, I am at work and not able to look through the threads for log periods of time. I have looked briefly and not been able to find what I want.

OK what I want is a installer for Boinc in Ubuntu 8.10
    I am new to Linux and I really like this for making up some crunching boxes. The cost being the main reason.

If there is no installer, is there a guide to install assuming that I know nothing about basic programing. Everything I read seems to be complicated to me.

Thanks for your time Guys.

Re: Running Boinc in Ubuntu

OK OK I have found the section on Boinc's site for the download.... I did not look hard enough yesterday. I could only find the windows install link, I had to click all versions to see the rest.

So any good guides to get it crunching well?

got a few old amd cpu's along with a P4 and celeron also that might as well be crunching.

thanks

I don't know anything about Linux but I can recommend that you put all that old hardware on Milkyway. It really does well with the optimized app. You can read about it here. As an example, I have a P4 3ghz that has a RAC of over 1900. It sometimes runs out of work.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

I will see if I can find somebody to help out..... I sure as hades can't!

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

les..... I would have a look here....

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_on_Linux

If you can find any answers, I would suggest posting here.....

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_forum.php?id=10

The folks in the Boinc forum are very helpful, and could help if you give them a shot. Sorry I couldn't do more for you..... but most around here will be impressed I did anything!

I would follow the wiki that Thelmores posted. I just looked it over and it seems to be a pretty good BOINC Linux install guide:
    If you follow 'Berkeley Installer' section you should be able to get it to work. But since you're running Ubuntu you can do the installation by typing a single command into a Terminal window:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install boinc-manager
    This is actually the preferred method for Ubuntu as Ubuntu will then take care of any updates automatically, rather then you having to deal with them manually.

If that command doesn't work you may have an issue with your 'Repositories' and I can help you with those too. They're easy.

Now to run Boinc, you'll need to type the following commands into a terminal:

Method one (if installed manually)
    Code:
    cd ~/BOINC
    ./boincmgr
    Note that capitalization is important! In Linux/Unix/Sunix/etc BOINC Boinc and boinc are three different things. So you'll have to ensure you get the capitalization correct.

Method two (I'm only guessing here since I never used the Ubuntu installer for BOINC)
    Code:
    boincmgr
    If that doesn't work, then I'll have to have you try a couple of commands just to see where it is.

Go to system/administration/synaptic package manager. Search for boinc. From the list select boinc client and boinc manager, request installation. This will install 5.10.45 client.

Find boinc icon under Applications/system. Copy to convenient location. Open boinc and set up as usual. This will start boinc when the computer boots, even if you don't log in.

I have seen postings that there are some issues with 8.10 and boinc. I don't run 8.10, so I don't have experience with it.

Hope this helps.
    mike

GYSGT JIMMIE E. HOWARD USMC
    SFC RANDALL D. SHUGHART USA

350.00 Ghz +/- Home Owned and Operated DC crunching power

Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    Go to system/administration/synaptic package manager. Search for boinc. From the list select boinc client and boinc manager, request installation. This will install 5.10.45 client.

Find boinc icon under Applications/system. Copy to convenient location. Open boinc and set up as usual. This will start boinc when the computer boots, even if you don't log in.

I have seen postings that there are some issues with 8.10 and boinc. I don't run 8.10, so I don't have experience with it.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Mike!! How you been you sexy biach.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22 View Post
    Hi Mike!! How you been you sexy biach.
    Hiya sweety

Crunching my "old" butt off
    mike

GYSGT JIMMIE E. HOWARD USMC
    SFC RANDALL D. SHUGHART USA

350.00 Ghz +/- Home Owned and Operated DC crunching power

Well, after I read and did everything you all told me to do and post those great links ... I have it up and going I think ... not getting work right now but it is running

Thank you all!! I knew that there was a reason that I loved you people

The love is in the air!