myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Next Gen Cruncher?

Intel i7

I assume you could run 8 threads of Seti (or whatever) at once?? $330 ain't too bad I guess, and I bet you could get about 3ghz easy with this puppy?
    Dumping the FSB finally makes this even more appealing!

Thoughts?

I doubt I will get one for Christmas, funds are tight around here....... wish I could drop one in my 780i!

So who's gonna be the Guinea Pig?

Re: Next Gen Cruncher?

Nice stuff. Except it would be a $1k upgrade with new board and ram. Not in my books anytime soon.

If Santa is real nice, I might try one in the new year.

I want one bad but will be waiting for the prices to drop. Is Intel the only one making chipsets for the new chips as well? I only see X58 motherboards.

I priced one out....with 6 GB Ram and it was about $3k for the top CPU....it will be a few months for me, I've got to get over surgery!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

now dell is talking about an 80 core chip!

thats nutts!

That'd be a monster indeed!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Some of you might want to reconsider this setup. Unless Intel has vastly improved it's HT technology, it's not worth the money. Ht is a system that lets a processor perform 2 tasks at the same time. It splits the processing between the 2 tasks so each task gets half of the processing power.

I will give you a clear example. A q6700 will finish a MW Wu in about 5:45 min. I have an old P4 3.0Ghz that will complete a WU in about 5:30 min. So with HT turned on it will complete 2 WU's in about 11:00 min. A single core from the quad will complete 2 WU's in about 11:30 min. With the new Quad with HT you will be able to crunch 8 WU's at a time but they will take twice as long to finish.

For the price of a low end Quad HT system, I could build 2 q6600 systems and crunch almost twice as much.

That's a really good point, Red.

I was looking at it as a gaming rig for myself first, as a cruncher later.

Spoiler!