Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Building from 64X2 6400+ Black Box ->out

Thanks to the generosity of this site's owner, Ryan, and a little luck in a random drawing I find myself in possession of a new but dated Black Box Athlon 64X2 6400+ and am looking to build from that foundation a general purpose to light gaming box. My main criteria are mostly budget driven as I'm on a shoestring fixed income and need to keep costs at a bare minimum, at least to start. I can possibly upgrade things like adding video card and more RAM, etc.in the future.

But I'd like to have good on board gfx, (which is better -- Nvidia or ATI?) overclock-ability (what fun is having a Black Box model if you can't play with the unlocked stuff ) But that's not a deal breaker. I'd also like to get the best parts for the money. I'm not that cheap, just frugal and poor, heh. Being dated tech, building on the cheap should be fairly easy if I can find good parts in still on the shelf 2 years after the proc's heyday.

I've been doing some research on mostly the mobo, since that seems to be the next logical step having the proc already decided, and have found plenty of them that seem to meet the price range I was trying to hit ($50-70 range) but have concerns that these may not be able to handle the heat/power demands of the 6400+'s 125W rating. And peak voltages are also a worry since it wants 1.35-1.4V while pulling all that current. I found 1 or 2 that meet that description but are no longer available online, at least where I looked.

I'm thinking that with the proc sitting on the bench, deciding on the mobo should be next then the rest should fall into place easily. Any mobo suggestions you have to offer are welcome and appreciated. I'm also open to advice on things to watch for, pitfalls and traps, as I sift through all the prospective boards as I haven't built a PC from scratch in, like, ever, since the early 90s. A lot has changed but not as much as one would think in nearly 20 years. Many of the same parts just change the Kbs to Mbs or Gbs and Kh to Mh and Gh..you see where I'm going.

So if you can give this old n00b a hint or two, point me in the right directions, I'd be very grateful. My boy may end up with this as a gaming PC eventually. After I get it up to gaming snuff with a video card and proper cooling, etc. He'd be thankful for your expertise too.

If I left out any key info or specs or if you have any questions I didn't answer above don't be shy. I'll be watching this close. I'm not in any real hurry..well, I am but cash only flows one speed here and it ain't fast. Pardon my n00bness. Thanks - Dale

Re: Building from 64X2 6400+ Black Box ->out

If you go with something like an AMD 790GX board you'll get excellent onboard graphics as part of the package.
    They cost a bit more than you mentioned but you won't have to buy a video card.
    You do however have the option of adding a video card later.

I know from experience that the Foxconn A7DA-S will handle the 6400 and people have reported the Biostar, MSI, DFI and Asus boards will also but others will have to verify that.

A good, inexpensive CPU cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 and DDR2 RAM is cheep right now - I use G.Skill these days but there are plenty of other choices out there.

I'd use a decent power supply in the 500w range and here's some good choices in the $75-100 range.
    Enermax, Corsair, FSP (Fortron) and SeaSonic are all excellent brands.

Finally, if you also need a case the Antec 300 is a good economical choice.
    I own 2 of them.

As you can see I used NewEgg for the links but you might also check Zip Zoom Fly, Mwave and others for better deals.

Btw the 6400 Black isn't really very overclockable even though it's an unlocked processor so don't get your hopes up.

Keep in mind the Black Friday sales start after Thanksgiving.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by boondog View Post
    Thanks to the generosity of this site's owner, Ryan, and a little luck in a random drawing I find myself in possession of a new but dated Black Box Athlon 64X2 6400+ and am looking to build from that foundation a general purpose to light gaming box. My main criteria are mostly budget driven as I'm on a shoestring fixed income and need to keep costs at a bare minimum, at least to start. I can possibly upgrade things like adding video card and more RAM, etc.in the future.

But I'd like to have good on board gfx, (which is better -- Nvidia or ATI?) overclock-ability (what fun is having a Black Box model if you can't play with the unlocked stuff ) But that's not a deal breaker. I'd also like to get the best parts for the money. I'm not that cheap, just frugal and poor, heh. Being dated tech, building on the cheap should be fairly easy if I can find good parts in still on the shelf 2 years after the proc's heyday.

I've been doing some research on mostly the mobo, since that seems to be the next logical step having the proc already decided, and have found plenty of them that seem to meet the price range I was trying to hit ($50-70 range) but have concerns that these may not be able to handle the heat/power demands of the 6400+'s 125W rating. And peak voltages are also a worry since it wants 1.35-1.4V while pulling all that current. I found 1 or 2 that meet that description but are no longer available online, at least where I looked.

I'm thinking that with the proc sitting on the bench, deciding on the mobo should be next then the rest should fall into place easily. Any mobo suggestions you have to offer are welcome and appreciated. I'm also open to advice on things to watch for, pitfalls and traps, as I sift through all the prospective boards as I haven't built a PC from scratch in, like, ever, since the early 90s. A lot has changed but not as much as one would think in nearly 20 years. Many of the same parts just change the Kbs to Mbs or Gbs and Kh to Mh and Gh..you see where I'm going.

So if you can give this old n00b a hint or two, point me in the right directions, I'd be very grateful. My boy may end up with this as a gaming PC eventually. After I get it up to gaming snuff with a video card and proper cooling, etc. He'd be thankful for your expertise too.

If I left out any key info or specs or if you have any questions I didn't answer above don't be shy. I'll be watching this close. I'm not in any real hurry..well, I am but cash only flows one speed here and it ain't fast. Pardon my n00bness. Thanks - Dale
    Welcome,

How about a budget?
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    If you go with something like an AMD 790GX board you'll get excellent onboard graphics as part of the package.
    They cost a bit more than you mentioned but you won't have to buy a video card.
    You do however have the option of adding a video card later.

I know from experience that the Foxconn A7DA-S will handle the 6400 and people have reported the Biostar, MSI, DFI and Asus boards will also but others will have to verify that.

A good, inexpensive CPU cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 and DDR2 RAM is cheep right now - I use G.Skill these days but there are plenty of other choices out there.

I'd use a decent power supply in the 500w range and here's some good choices in the $75-100 range.
    Enermax, Corsair, FSP (Fortron) and SeaSonic are all excellent brands.

Finally, if you also need a case the Antec 300 is a good economical choice.
    I own 2 of them.

As you can see I used NewEgg for the links but you might also check Zip Zoom Fly, Mwave and others for better deals.

Btw the 6400 Black isn't really very overclockable even though it's an unlocked processor so don't get your hopes up.

Keep in mind the Black Friday sales start after Thanksgiving.

Bill

Thanks for the great input Electric Bill. That board is a touch more than I wanted to spend but if it is a good match and value and I'm still looking for a $50 one in stock I may have to bite the bullet and give it a try. I've seen you guys here talking about that Antec case. It looks like a good option too. A nice value. And that Arctic Cool solution was already on the top of my list for a CPU cooler. I've heard all good about it and it's cheap.

I've been spending a lot of time on the newegg site also. Seems to be about the best with good prices and the one Google sends me to most.

And yes, I love the low DDR2 prices now. Can't be beat. HDDs are cheap now too. And I'm wary of cheapo PSUs. I guess that's one part it's better to be safe with a good one than sorry with one that isn't what it claims to be. A question about that, is there a danger of damaging my CPU or other parts if a case I use has one of those crappy PSUs in it or will it just fail and require a swap without taking anything down with it? Like I was saying, I may go a cheaper route to begin with then fill in the gaps with quality parts as disposable income accumulates.

Thanks for the great input Electric Bill. That board is a touch more than I wanted to spend but if it is a good match and value and I'm still looking for a $50 one in stock I may have to bite the bullet and give it a try. I've seen you guys here talking about that Antec case. It looks like a good option too. A nice value. And that Arctic Cool solution was already on the top of my list for a CPU cooler. I've heard all good about it and it's cheap.

I've been spending a lot of time on the newegg site also. Seems to be about the best with good prices and the one Google sends me to most.

And yes, I love the low DDR2 prices now. Can't be beat. HDDs are cheap now too. And I'm wary of cheapo PSUs. I guess that's one part it's better to be safe with a good one than sorry with one that isn't what it claims to be. A question about that, is there a danger of damaging my CPU or other parts if a case I use has one of those crappy PSUs in it or will it just fail and require a swap without taking anything down with it? Like I was saying, I may go a cheaper route to begin with then fill in the gaps with quality parts as disposable income accumulates.
    OK,

Sounds like budget:

Do not buy piece buy piece if you can help it because you will loose your RMA power if you have bad parts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138128

The Biostar is a better board IMO then the foxconn. One word of warning about the biostar board is it can be a little tricky to clear when OCing. Maybe a bios revision has fixed that.

Cooler & case are great.

Power Supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341010

Jump on this its a great cost for a decent supply.

Let me know what else you are looking for.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Welcome,

How about a budget?
    Thanks for your interest undersea. Cheap.

I was hoping for a $50 mobo but that's becoming less likely the more I look. Not for anything decent/reliable.

As for the other parts.. I don't really have a budget for this project. The cash I get is what I cut out of my regular expenses which isn't a lot. This may be a prolonged project because of that too, I'm afraid. Sorry.I just want best bang for the buck parts and on the cheaper side of that scale. I'd like to spend more but that's not possible at this time. I would even consider used if they are good and from a trusted source and I could try them out for a day or three to make sure. To throw out a number, under $500.

Also, my wife suggested this morning that I ask if a barter would be acceptable for any of this. She makes some beautiful and very nice hand made quilts, backpacks and other stuff she'd be willing to deal with for some of the expense. Something I'm considering it there's any interest. I can post some pix if requested. Just throwing it out there.

You should plan on:

Cooler $30, PS $50, Case $60, MB $100, OS $90.00, Memory $45.00, HD $59.99, OD $23.00.

So about $425 with shipping from newegg without a video card.

The built in video on either the Foxconn or Biostar board will pull a 2500 in 3d06, about. Add a 3450 in crossfire about a 3200

The 3450 last I looked was 29.99 or so.

EDIT:

Could try a 780 mb like:

open box usually work out well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128335R
    Last edited by undersea; 11-18-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Cool Plugging my benefactor

I feel the urge to put a plug in for the video netcast I was enjoying when I had this windfall. It is a little, brand new, live streaming vidcast called PC Perspective with hosts Leo Laporte of the old TechTV network's The Screensavers and Call For Help fame, and PCPer.com's Ryan Shrout talking about the latest hardware and such..

It's just being offered as a live stream on Leo's TWiT netcast network for now but should be going to an audio only downloadable version soon. If you don't catch the live show which usually airs Thursday's at 6 PM EST, you can sometimes find a cap of the stream on ODTV.me. Leo has many good shows there now including a great security netcast with Steve Gibson called Security Now and like ten more. I can't think of too many better ways to spend time and bw on the 'net.

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    You should plan on:

Cooler $30, PS $50, Case $60, MB $100, OS $90.00, Memory $45.00, HD $59.99, OD $23.00.

So about $425 with shipping from newegg without a video card.

The built in video on either the Foxconn or Biostar board will pull a 2500 in 3d06, about. Add a 3450 in crossfire about a 3200

The 3450 last I looked was 29.99 or so.

EDIT:

Could try a 780 mb like:

open box usually work out well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128335R
    That all sounds good undersea. Thanks. I think I was afraid of getting sticker shock so I hadn't added it all up on paper yet but had a similar running total in my head.

The video cards are cheaper than I thought so it may come sooner than expected.

The main thing I worry about an open box mobo is missing cables and mounting parts and also a missing driver disk but I can get the latest ones online so that's not such a problem, I guess. But I'm not that experienced at purchasing the open box stuff, or any of this for that matter, so I'll trust you guys' advice in this area.

Great list and advice. Much appreciated.

That all sounds good undersea. Thanks. I think I was afraid of getting sticker shock so I hadn't added it all up on paper yet but had a similar running total in my head.

The video cards are cheaper than I thought so it may come sooner than expected.

The main thing I worry about an open box mobo is missing cables and mounting parts and also a missing driver disk but I can get the latest ones online so that's not such a problem, I guess. But I'm not that experienced at purchasing the open box stuff, or any of this for that matter, so I'll trust you guys' advice in this area.

Great list and advice. Much appreciated.
    If your new to building then get a new motherboard. Let us know what you end up with!

I wouldn't recommend any $50 PSUs myself.

The ATI Radeon HD 3300 onboard video that comes with the 790GX boards is pretty damn good and unless you're a serious gamer it will do just fine which is why I recommended it in the first place.
    If you are going to use a higher end video card then there are other good choices.
    I sold a DFI NF570 SLI-M2/G rig recently that worked just fine with the 125W 6400 and an ATI 3850.
    Just keep in mind that a lot of boards won't handle that CPU .

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

I'm not completely new but have been out of it for a long time, undersea, and have only been in on a couple of system builds. I guess my inexperience is showing, heh. I'll take it slow so that should help. Reading here and elsewhere has reeducated me pretty good too. Many here eat and sleep this stuff so I'm taking in all I can. Thanks for the RMA advice and other tips. Looks like a great HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any $50 PSUs myself.

The ATI Radeon HD 3300 onboard video that comes with the 790GX boards is pretty damn good and unless you're a serious gamer it will do just fine which is why I recommended it in the first place.
    If you are going to use a higher end video card then there are other good choices.
    I sold a DFI NF570 SLI-M2/G rig recently that worked just fine with the 125W 6400 and an ATI 3850.
    Just keep in mind that a lot of boards won't handle that CPU .

Bill
    Yes, on board gfx should be fine for me. If I give this to my son he can come up with a video card for gaming if needed. Or,as cheap as they are I may do that and keep it but I've been using a crappy geforce mmx for more years than I will admit so obviously I'm not that picky. I'll get the best PSU I can afford. Hear good things about Crucial PSUs and PC Power & Cooling units so I'll try to work one of those into my budget.

The DFI isn't available at newegg or a couple other places I googled. I think that might be one of the boards I was having trouble finding in stock. An ASUS, forget the model, was another.

Thanks for all the assistance..I'll be checking out these MBs for cost and availability asap. Have some chores to do now tho. Later. -Dale

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Umm DFI boards should be available at the egg

Bill I won't either but this is a really good supply. I have used three of these exact PSU. One I have used for Two years now.

Review:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/451

Its not the best supply but for a budget gamer it rocks.

Its also not a $50 supply, normally its a 75-100 dollar supply but there is a great rebate right now.