Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Building from 64X2 6400+ Black Box ->out

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Umm DFI boards should be available at the egg
    Budget build Not DFI build
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Umm DFI boards should be available at the egg
    The DFI board that Electric Bill recommended, the DFI NF570 SLI-M2/G is showing that it's a "deactivated item" according to the newegg site.

But thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Budget build Not DFI build
    DFI's not one of the choice MBs? I notice they seem to have fewer available.

What are the best MB manufacturers? I always liked ASUS and Gigabyte but my oldest boy used an ASRock, I think, with good results. There are so many..should any be avoided for whatever reason?

Quote Originally Posted by boondog View Post
    The DFI isn't available at newegg or a couple other places I googled.
    Sorry for the confusion - I was just using the DFI as an example of a board that could run the 6400.
    I wasn't suggesting buying one.
    They actually did have them here for $60 the last time I looked but are out of stock right now .

Let's see I'm running a 6400 in my Abit AX78 and it works fine but I see that NewEgg is out of stock on that one also.
    Anyway Abit stopped making motherboards and has switched to digital picture frames - go figure .

undersea if we're counting rebates the Foxconn board is only $105.
    I don't because only about half of them ever really happen and even those require a lot of time and patience.

Well I'm out of boards that I've actually tried a 6400 in - no wait I did try one in a Gigabyte M61P-S3 and cripled it
    Actually it fried 2 of the Dimm slots .
    I still have the board and I'll try it again some day when I have a spare 65 or 45nm CPU lying around.

Unless someone else can recommend a board in the $50-70 range that will run that processor I suspect that it will be more like $100 and up.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    Sorry for the confusion - I was just using the DFI as an example of a board that could run the 6400.
    I wasn't suggesting buying one.
    They actually did have them here for $60 the last time I looked but are out of stock right now .

Let's see I'm running a 6400 in my Abit AX78 and it works fine but I see that NewEgg is out of stock on that one also.
    Anyway Abit stopped making motherboards and has switched to digital picture frames - go figure .

undersea if we're counting rebates the Foxconn board is only $105.
    I don't because only about half of them ever really happen and even those require a lot of time and patience.

Well I'm out of boards that I've actually tried a 6400 in - no wait I did try one in a Gigabyte M61P-S3 and cripled it
    Actually it fried 2 of the Dimm slots .
    I still have the board and I'll try it again some day when I have a spare 65 or 45nm CPU lying around.

Unless someone else can recommend a board in the $50-70 range that will run that processor I suspect that it will be more like $100 and up.

Bill
    Bill I genuflect to your knowledge Remember Mr.ten rigs you are my computer god

$105 for that board rocks. That rebate looks like a good one, through foxconn directly Right on, rebates are a pain in the butt.

You might try this board for cheap:

A7GM-S AM2+/AM2

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Genuflect lol.
    Reminds me of when I had religion.

Good to know that there is a board for $67 that will work.
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU

DFI's not one of the choice MBs? I notice they seem to have fewer available.

What are the best MB manufacturers? I always liked ASUS and Gigabyte but my oldest boy used an ASRock, I think, with good results. There are so many..should any be avoided for whatever reason?
    Gigabyte, Asus, Foxconn, Biostar, DFI are all good brands. I think ASROCK is too but I've never had the pleasure of using them.

My favorites are Biostar and Gigabyte. I really like DFI too but they are expensive and tend to update bios less.

DFI's not one of the choice MBs?
    As a former DFI mod here at PCPer I take that personally .
    Actually DFI is one of the better boards.

I've built 5 ASRock boards but they are pretty short on features.
    I was considering Biostar on this last build but a buddy at another forum convinced me to join with him in buying the Foxconn in my sig and I really like it.

Seems like almost every time I try a new brand or return to an old brand they go bust.
    Soyo, Epox, Abit (returned last May) and now there's rumors that Foxconn my stop production soon.

I don't like Asus because it seems like half the time I try to access their site it's down or when I get there I have trouble finding what I want.
    I'll probably give Gigabyte another chance some day if the economy ever recovers and I have money again.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU

Agree with Bill ABit AX78

Cheap and that x2 6400 be will love it. Check out the XS thread on it.
    Last edited by bacon12; 11-19-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    As a former DFI mod here at PCPer I take that personally .
    Actually DFI is one of the better boards.

I've built 5 ASRock boards but they are pretty short on features.
    I was considering Biostar on this last build but a buddy at another forum convinced me to join with him in buying the Foxconn in my sig and I really like it.

Seems like almost every time I try a new brand or return to an old brand they go bust.
    Soyo, Epox, Abit (returned last May) and now there's rumors that Foxconn my stop production soon.

I don't like Asus because it seems like half the time I try to access their site it's down or when I get there I have trouble finding what I want.
    I'll probably give Gigabyte another chance some day if the economy ever recovers and I have money again.

Bill
    I haven't used the ASUS site in my digging yet but was having problems with the gigabyte site loading just the other day. I guess these are more popular sites than I thought.

I was leaning toward boards that offer the right features, are well supported and newbie friendly and were known to be reliable. ASUS had this rep but things like that change. MSI sounds like a great board but a little pricy for this application, I think. Thanks for the headsup on foxxconn as I was considering the one someone mentioned above..I don't need to buy from a company that might be leaving us. And I can more than empathize with the money issue. I want' to buy this stuff yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
    Agree with Bill ABit AX78

Cheap and that x2 6400 be will love it. Check out the XS thread on it.
    I'll check that out bacon12. Thanks for that slab of crispy info.

My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU

Damn! Thanks for the heads-up EB!

Seems to effect several PC hardware offers. I haven't had the cash to do anything yet so I'm not effected. I may have to hold off till after the holidays at this point anyway.

I would say get a used case for $10 or free most local comp shops give them away after a customer has abandoned it. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 500w psu sparkle/fortron tends to have some off and on antec also.
    AM2 x2 6000 bris/Tuniq Tower 120/8800gts640MB(648/972)/2x2GB+2x1GB/Ga 790X-UD4 /OCZ 850w/Seagate 2x250 16MB/LG 204WT/DIY home made case.

Arrow Progress update re: Building from 64X2 6400+ Black Box ->out

No cash for parts but thought I should update my "progress" thus far. I've found several MBs that seem viable but will only post the top three or four for your expert scrutiny. In order of preference they are:
    1. ASUS M2A-VM - Price is main draw but have read of similar builds as mine so seems very compatible.
    2. ASUS M3A78-EM - more up to date than above MB w/better ob gfx. Rated for up to 140W cpu is a big plus.
    3. Foxconn A7GM-S - Seems like a good fit and price is right.
    4. GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2HP - highest priced of my choices so far but seems like a good board w/good ob gfx.

My main criteria for selecting these is simply cost, compatibility with the high TDP of the 6400+ and good on board gfx. If I need to consider other factors please suggest them to me. I'm open to any suggestions/ideas. I may want to add a video card in time but all I've looked at have a PCI-E slot so I see no real problem filling that requirement.

I'm thinking with the CPU decided for me, the MB (and RAM when MB is selected) and PSU are the most critical to match items, right? I fed an online PSU selector with my build's probable hardware (1-3 HDDs, DVD burner, No SLI) and it came up with a minimum of 400W PSU so I'm hoping a 500W should be enough of a cushion for me. That seems to be an affordable tier as quality, higher rated units seem to be much more expensive. I plan to watch for sales of name brand PSUs and go for a trusted name brand special. The brands I like, in no order, are: Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, CoolerMaster, PC Power & Cooling and SeaSonic. Suggestions for changes to this list or the 500W are more than welcome as I'm just going from what I've read online here and elsewhere. Never bought a PSU or MOBO before..can you tell, heh.

I like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler. Seems to have the rare combo of being both good and cheap.

The case will be the last thing I decide on. I'm thinking I may even be able to use an old P2 case I have laying around till I can get a new one. I'm really wanting to get started on this asap but will be after the holidays at least before I can get fundage. It really hurts watching the prices on all the parts fall and not be able to grab up the deals, too. Hopefully they will remain low. I can't believe the DDR2 and HDD prices now! I saw two different places I could get two sticks of 1GB Corsair for less that $10 after mir. Cant beat that with a stick!

Well, that's about all I've got so far but am looking forward to more advice from you guys. Thanks again for all the great input so far.