Got a super rare motherboard, how best to protect it?

Hi,

I recently (yesterday) bought a super rare DEC Alpha motherboard (Samsung UP1500) from Japan. It's costing an arm and a leg to get it and ship it. It's brand new, in the box, which is exceptionally rare. Interestingly, it uses the AMD-761 chipset, something that many of you probably used at one point on an Athlon XP box.

It hasn't been produced in at least 5 years, so obviously there are no replacements. I only know of a handful of people who have them.

I want to use it, but I also don't want to throw my investment away. How can I best protect it? Are there any features of cases that prevent static electricity better than others? Power Supplies? Any other suggestions?

Re: Got a super rare motherboard, how best to protect it?

hadn't used any of the 761 chipset boards so did a google. found a nice review on them and all the other chipsets of the period.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2312064,00.asp

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    hadn't used any of the 761 chipset boards so did a google. found a nice review on them and all the other chipsets of the period.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2312064,00.asp

ud
    Interesting. Looks like it was the best AMD chipset in its day.

Yup, i had a nice Tekram mobo with the irongate? chipset. Back when tekram still made comsumer mobos etc this was amoung the best...

anyway, you may have trouble finding a new psu suitable for it. imho, if you must run it just build it up in a full metal case and keep it clean and dry. maybe invest in a ups for a bit of peace of mind.

ps. now find a voodoo1,2 or 3 and a diamond stealth 3d gfx card. maybe a gravis ultra sound card and even a pci scsi raid controller w/drives...
    even cram a 56k modem or a full controller 10/100 nic just for s+g
    Good luck finding the sdram too.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by -=SparX=- View Post
    Yup, i had a nice Tekram mobo with the irongate? chipset. Back when tekram still made comsumer mobos etc this was amoung the best...

anyway, you may have trouble finding a new psu suitable for it. imho, if you must run it just build it up in a full metal case and keep it clean and dry. maybe invest in a ups for a bit of peace of mind.

ps. now find a voodoo1,2 or 3 and a diamond stealth 3d gfx card. maybe a gravis ultra sound card and even a pci scsi raid controller w/drives...
    even cram a 56k modem or a full controller 10/100 nic just for s+g
    Good luck finding the sdram too.
    :-)
    LOL I think i have a Vodoo 3 laying around still
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

In it's day? Ouch..some of us ran overclocked watercooled systems based on that chipset....and if it was really that long ago I DON'T NEED TO BE REMINDED

You need a Gravis joystick from that era to complete your system...

Does the board even fit in an AT or ATX case? Looks like it was server from the word go.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yes, it's ATX form factor.

Let me reiterate: it's a DEC Alpha motherboard (not x86!)

Let me reiterate: it's a DEC Alpha motherboard (not x86!)
    understood, why I asked if it fit an intel form factor. It does make it easier!!
    If the cpu is 5v look for a strong 5v psu (ATX1.3?) as the ATX2.x's have very low 5v comparatively.
    A good metal case and a good UPS (for the surge protection more than the power correction), grounded outlet and you should be fine. Maybe a temp monitor to check temps as software utilities most likely will not work

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

motherboard monitor 5

should work

ud

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    If the cpu is 5v look for a strong 5v psu (ATX1.3?) as the ATX2.x's have very low 5v comparatively.
    Ahh! Good suggestion. I've noticed that current over the 5V line seems low on newer power supplies. This now makes sense.

The manual says the board needs around 15A on the 5V line. This seems high, but I'm not sure. Is this number higher than most boards today?

Modern boards use 12v for the cpu and video card (well that's what they use and the board is wired for them) instead of the 5v older cpu's and gpu's used. So psu's of the day were very weak on 12v (as a general rule) and modern ones are relatively weak on 5v.
    ATXv1.3 psu's have high 5v (up to 40-50 amps) and 12v, and ATXv2.x are weaker on 5v (up to 30 amps) and the same or higher 12v. Personally I don't like to use much more than 50% of the rated power of a rail.

A modern atxv2.x can do you if you are going to use a modern 12v video card (agp with a 12v molex connector), a v1.3 would be better if you are using an older 5v video card.

As discussed in this thread, the most powerful (and hungry) graphics card available is the Radeon 9800 Pro (maybe XT).

Depending on eBay conditions, I'll either go with it, or the much less power hungry 9600XT.

http://www.startech.com/item-specs/A...er-Supply.aspx

http://www.provantage.com/startech-a...f~7STRP087.htm

i was playin' with a abit kt7a(via 133a) over the holiday and noticed how the 5volt rail is the one that droops instead of the 12v rail that we've become accustomed to.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 11-30-2008 at 10:42 AM.