This build has been recommended to me, thoughts?

Hey guys, I have initially been looking at the following build, however I think it has grown stale since I haven't been able to buy anything:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield
    HSF: Xigmatek S1283 Rifle
    Motherboard: nVidia nForce 680i
    Memory: G.Skill 2x2gb DDR2-800 (PC2 6400)
    Video: Was an EVGA 8800GTS (G92), they listed out of stock and I'm sure there are others out now.
    Power Supply: Corsair 620w Modular
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (From old rig)
    HD: Seagate 320gb SATA 3.0gb/s
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 (This is up for debate)

I posted this elsewhere, and someone recommended the following for a relative build. What do you think?

Quad Core Q6600 System

CPU - Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 for $190
    Mobo/Ram (Combo Deal) Asus P5Q Pro + OCZ Fatalty Edition 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 for $133($15 MIR on Asus Mobo)
    Video - MSI Geforce GTX 260 for $215
    HDD - WD 6400AAKS 640 gig for $70 w/free shipping
    Optical Drive - Samsung Black 22X DVD burner SATA drive for $25 w/free shipping
    Case - Antec 300 Case for $55 w/free shipping
    PSU - Antec EA650 for $70 w/free shipping
    Heatsink - Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm rifle for $32($10MIR) w/free shipping
    Retention Bracket - Xigmatek ACK-I7751 for $8.50 w/free shipping
    O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit for $100 w/free shipping

So far it looks like a wonderful build, despite the MSI card being so large. Do you guys have any other ideas? I'm always looking for case recommendations as well!

Re: This build has been recommended to me, thoughts?

Great build, and very similar to mine. I have the same MB, CPU, and am looking at a GTX 260, currently running an 8800GT. I have 4 gig of Gskill.
    Fast, easy build, and has been running 24/7 while folding for over a month now.

Just curious John, what kind of case do you have?

Antec 900. Very happy with it.

Since I primarily do gaming, should I be concerned with sticking with the Q6600? I don't know if there will be any games that utilize all 4 cores. I don't know much of anything in Photoshop or other applications that would jump all over the 4 cores.

Is there a processor out there that is very close to the Q6600 in price range, that would probably work better with what I would be doing with it? Or is the Q6600 the way to go?

I've been really impressed with coolermaster's full ATX cases. I have a 690 and it's heavy as hell, but roomy and very well ventilated.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkrulz View Post
    Since I primarily do gaming, should I be concerned with sticking with the Q6600? I don't know if there will be any games that utilize all 4 cores. I don't know much of anything in Photoshop or other applications that would jump all over the 4 cores.

Is there a processor out there that is very close to the Q6600 in price range, that would probably work better with what I would be doing with it? Or is the Q6600 the way to go?
    Right now I'd say that a e8400/e8500/e8600 would be (slightly) better for gaming,
    but who knows when we'll start to see advantage from having more then 2 cores ...
    so if you plan on keeping the build as long as possible a quad core might be the way to go, but if you plan on upgrading in a year or 2 then I'd go with a dual.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    I've been really impressed with coolermaster's full ATX cases. I have a 690 and it's heavy as hell, but roomy and very well ventilated.
    Agreed really nice case for the price. I tought the CM690 was still considered a mid tower tho ...
    Last edited by xiz0r; 11-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiz0r View Post
    Agreed really nice case for the price. I tought the CM690 was still considered a mid tower tho ...
    Full tower weight in a mid tower package

don't get the rifle, get the new generation, achilles: (edit: this is the red scorpion, see if you can find the 1284) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233012
    it performs better and the fan looks awesome.
    also, for the cpu, out with the kentsfield and in with the yorkfield:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115043 or if you can't get that, this is a 45nm kents: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115055

also im wondering if you can get buffalo firestix and perhaps a gigabyte or biostar board. asus is good, but im not that great a fan of them due to the fact that they make crappy boards from the vanilla down. biostar's are cheap, durable and the tpower i45 is the highest fsb overclocking board around.

The cache on those CPU's are quite a bit lower than the Q6600. Wouldn't they be around the same performance, with the Q6600 possibly being a bit faster due to its OC'ing potential?