Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best cpu/mobo combo for DDR1 and AGP?

What would you say is the highest performing cpu/mobo combo (intel or amd) available? AMD seems to top out with the Barton 3200+. My best bet from what I've seen so far would be to go with a LGA775 Core 2 Duo and a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra. I won't be able to build a new rig like I want for a long time so I just wanted something temporary to hold me over.

Thanks

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Re: Best cpu/mobo combo for DDR1 and AGP?

A socket 754 board with a 3400 @ 2.4ghz, would be your best bet with AMD.
    Or you could go with a 939 system, but 939 with an AGP slot is harder to come by.
    Main difference is 754 is single channel ram, 939 is dual channel, also the 939's have dual core processors as a nice boost. Lots of good deals buying used from forums.
    Last edited by sttubs; 11-25-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Really? Didnt know that thought the 3200 was the highest. I forgot to mention though that I currently have a 3000+ Barton/FIC AU13 so I don't think I'd see too much of a jump in performance upgrading with AMD.

you'd have to shop ebay or the trading forum to find a 754 or 939(msi neo2 or biostar tforce t4u and asrock had at least one) amd. then finding a 939 cpu greater that what you have............

i think the asrock and core 2 would be your best bet.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 11-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.

What's the AGP card and amount of memory that's going to get carried over?

AM2 x2 cpu price is down, crucial rendition is around $10 a 1Gb stick, boards are floating in the $50 range. Just some info for ya.
    AM2 x2 6000 bris/Tuniq Tower 120/8800gts640MB(648/972)/2x2GB+2x1GB/Ga 790X-UD4 /OCZ 850w/Seagate 2x250 16MB/LG 204WT/DIY home made case.

Wow, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have been struggling with the same question for a week now.

My desktop is an old rig with an Athlon XP, 2 gigs of DDR ram, and a radeon 9800 pro (AGP). Last week, the pc stopped POSTing, and refuses to do so with all peripherals removed. The fans spin, but no "beep".

I admit I've been out of the game for a long time, but it seems that the 9800pro still has some kick even today, and that I would need to spend a good chunk of money to see improvement with a new card.

So, I would also like suggestions for an AGP/DDR1 mobo+cpu combo. (Or, I guess, a suggestion for a gfx card that would be a good replacement, if I have to build a whole new rig).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    What's the AGP card and amount of memory that's going to get carried over?
    2.5 gigs of DDR400
    Radeon X800GT

AM2 x2 cpu price is down, crucial rendition is around $10 a 1Gb stick, boards are floating in the $50 range. Just some info for ya.
    Wow, DDR2 prices are so cheap. I think I would be happier giving in and buying a PCI-E video card(which is what im trying to avoid), especially because I want a shader 3.0 card. Why cant money grow on trees lol.

There is actually a few AM2 mobo with AGP ... good luck finding a new or even used one tho ...
    Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA comes to mind

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

My old 939 x2 3800 can still game,that thing could hit 2.7 ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by SokeSleezy View Post
    What would you say is the highest performing cpu/mobo combo (intel or amd) available? AMD seems to top out with the Barton 3200+. My best bet from what I've seen so far would be to go with a LGA775 Core 2 Duo and a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra. I won't be able to build a new rig like I want for a long time so I just wanted something temporary to hold me over.

Thanks
    I dont understand why you want to spend money on old/used/outdated stuff when you can easily get way better stuff for the same price.

You can even get brand new stuff cheap. You can get a cheap micro ATX mobo on newegg for like $30-40, a PCI-E video card that can do decent gaming for $30-40, and grab a low end dual core CPU on ebay for like $30. DDR2 is super cheap too at around $20-30 for 2gb.
    Intel Core i5-4690k @ 4.8ghz, 32GB G-Skill 1866mhz, Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING 5 mATX, Aerocool DS Cube Case /w carbon fiber mods, 2x Galaxy GTX 970 4GB, 2x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro RAID0, Hitachi 3TB external, Cooler Master Seidon 120v, 2x NZXT Kraken X41 + G10 adapters, Seasonic 860-XP2 860W PSU, sleeved white PSU cables, Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller, Win 8.1 Pro x64
    Display: Asus ROG Swift

Quote Originally Posted by crash369 View Post
    So, I would also like suggestions for an AGP/DDR1 mobo+cpu combo. (Or, I guess, a suggestion for a gfx card that would be a good replacement, if I have to build a whole new rig).

Thanks!
    I'd bite the bullet and replace CPU/mobo/RAM/GPU.

If you do go new get a new power supply (at least 20 amps 12v). That is also what I suspect happened to your old rig, psu failure (open it and see if the caps are bleeding)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by AParsh335i View Post
    I dont understand why you want to spend money on old/used/outdated stuff when you can easily get way better stuff for the same price.

You can even get brand new stuff cheap. You can get a cheap micro ATX mobo on newegg for like $30-40, a PCI-E video card that can do decent gaming for $30-40, and grab a low end dual core CPU on ebay for like $30. DDR2 is super cheap too at around $20-30 for 2gb.

You know what, your right. That said I think I'll be happy making somewhat of a mid level rig. I think im going to make my budget around $350 and see what I can do. Haven't done extensive research yet but at a glance the Windsor 6000+ looks attractive @ $76. Question though, would I be better off with a phenom as it has an extra core? I figure as time progresses more and more game developers will take advantage(or probably already are) of multi-core processors. I'll probably aim to spend $150 max (the 4850 looks good to me) on a video card. So that's Roughly $225 so far. That leaves $150 or less for a motherboard and ram.A 2 x 2gb DDR2 kit will be around $40-$50 and im not yet sure on what mb to go with or even what chipset(770 looks good).

What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    If you do go new get a new power supply (at least 20 amps 12v). That is also what I suspect happened to your old rig, psu failure (open it and see if the caps are bleeding)

Interesting, I'll open up it up this weekend and see. Fortunately I purchased a CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX while troubleshooting an unrelated problem recently and it has 60 amps 12v I believe.

Thanks again guys
    Last edited by SokeSleezy; 12-12-2008 at 12:48 PM.

i would narrow my motherboard selections to ones that will have am3 support leaving the door open in case you decide on a cpu upgrade later.

msi

asus

gigabyte

biostar

that should give you a start.

ud