Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I need serious help!

Okay, so I built a pc with an intel quad core q6600 processor. It was fine that whole year, I played alot of the high end games never had a problem, but now when I play a game a red light comes on. I checked with the program SpeedFan, and my processor temperature is over 80 celsius! How is it so hot now? Please someone tell me what I can do to cool it down..

Here's all of my stuff so you can see what I'm using...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=A107-1050

Heatsink: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=T925-2034

Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Sku=I69-2145

I'm using 2 front 80mm fans, one top 80mm fan, and a 120mm fan on the back. I've never had a problem with my processor, but these temperatures scare me. Someone please tell me what to do.

Re: I need serious help!

Im not sure where you live but if the computer is near a heating vent then it could be intaking hot air, instead of cooler air.

have you checked the heatsink for a nest of dust bunnies?

ud

Check to see if the heatsink is still firmly attached. Who knows, maybe a bump knocked the socket loose.
    MAIN: | E8400 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.24V | Asus P5Q | OCZ 2x2GB 1000mhz | EVGA GTX260 Core 216 55nm |
    | WD 500GB | Corsair HX520 | OCZ Vendetta 2 | Antec 300 | Samsung 2443BW |

HTPC: | E5200 @ 3ghz passively cooled | EVGA 780i SLI | OCZ 2x1GB | Asus 9600GSO 512mb 96sp |
    | WD 1TB + Seagate 500GB | OCZ GameXStream 600W | Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX | LG 47" LG70 120hz LCD |

You could always remove heatsink clean and put new goop on it. I am guessing AS5 is still a good choice.

System Specs:
    1)Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe, Opteron 165, 4gb Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864Z503, Hitachi 160gb HD, DVD Burner, CD Drive, X-FI extreme, liquid cooling, Alienware Star Wars "Dark Side" case, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.
    2)DFI NFII Ultra Infinity, AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile (AXMH2500FQQ4C), Sony AWG170S-B2 Sata DVD Burner, 1GB mixed memory dual channel, 160gb Hitachi Dekstar HD, Coolmax CX-450B PSU, Linux-Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty.

I'll try taking it off, I don't think dust is the problem. I just want to know how it did this overnight. It was fine I was playing Far Cry 2, now if I try a bright red light comes on my motherboard and I check the temperature and my processor is like a 90 degrees celcius. So if I clean off the processor and heatsink a re-apply thermal paste should that do the trick?

^^ well thats the 1st thing to try, dust tend to accumulate on any heasink and over time it will reduce the HSF performance.

If its not dust sometimes it can be the termal paste thats gone bad and need to be replaced.

Well I removed a lot of dust and it dropped a good bit, idles at 50-60 but for some reason it goes above 90 degrees in Far Cry 2.. wich is odd because I used to could play that before. Before I cleaned it out I couldn't even run WoW without the cpu led going off. Should I try taking the heatsink off a putting new thermal grease on it? How is Arctic Silver 5? I might try that.

Nevermind... just about every game I play now my temperature just keeps rising and rising until it reaches mid-90s... It even increases on idle.. How can a processor over a few days just start overheating? Is thermal grease the problem?

have you even looked for dust in the heatsink yet?

ud

Yes I did. There is no trace of dust in my pc now. Temperatures for my Q6600 is still very high. I guess I have to take the heatsink off and re-apply thermal paste. That has to be the problem.

up until the addition of speedfan, what did you do to monitor the temp?

i not familiar with intel boards but with amd, i'm not aware of any with a led that lights up when the cpu gets to hot.

what does the temp read at idle?

put the rig under load and is there a lot of hot air coming off it?

i'm not convinced that the thermal compound could suddenly become ineffective.

ud

I never really monitored my temp before this, but I know it couldn't have been this bad hence the cpu led isn't blinking. All it does it tell you if your CPU is at a high temperature. When speedfan says my processor temp is above 80-90 and I feel the fans, there is NO hot air coming off of it. The heatsink is blowing coolish air so that's leading me to believe speedfan is just way off. I don't really worry about temperatures and my friends who build their own pc's as well don't either. My pc isn't blowing out hot air, I haven't experienced a computer crash from hardware problems ever. So I don't know. Also I've never heard of thermal grease going bad either that's just what people have been recommending.

Get coretemp.exe or check for a newer speedfan and or a config file for your board (register to access)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

A heatsink that is not removing heat from the cpu, and does not have good contact will feel somewhat cold, and the air from the fan will not be warm/hot either.
    The cpu however will be hot.