Thread: The MSI Wind.

The MSI Wind.

I picked up one of these a few days ago on Ebay. Got it for $273.00 from Mwave after M$ was kind enough to give me 30% back on it.

Specs:

1.6 ghz Intel Atom
    160gb HD 5,400 rpm WD
    1gb ram (I already upped it to 2gb)
    10 inch screen
    Built in 802.11 b/g/n
    6 cell Li-ion battery
    6 hours runtime
    LED lit LCD panel
    Windows XP
    2.8 lbs

So far my impressions are positive on it. The quality is better than I thought it would be honestly. I guess I was thinking that because it looks almost like a toy, it would be built like one too. It's a very nice quality machine. MSI even states in the quick install guide all of the torture tests they did to these to ensure it will hold up. I'm impressed, and I'm hard to impress! Even better, MSI didn't throw in a bunch of useless crap on the install. It's a pretty clean install. They did put some DVD burning trial software on it though which is laughable as this tiny netbook doesn't come with a burner, or any ODD for that matter.

One thing I don't like is I already had to void the warranty because I installed more ram. It was a piece of cake to install, but MSI stuck a stupid "warranty void if tampered with" sticker right over one of the screws I needed to remove to get to the ram.

The speed is about what you'd expect from something with specs like these, but it boots very fast, and for what we'll be using it for, internet surfing, e-mail, it's more than adequate. For traveling this netbook is unbeatable. It's as light as can be, and the 6 hour battery life kills our old E-Machines notebook. The tiny screen does take some getting used to when I'm used to my huge by comparison 22" lcd.

Basically I wanted something that was smaller and lighter than our old notebook that performed at least as good. This little MSI Wind should work out perfectly. When traveling on vacation with two kids and all their baggage, every little bit helps.

Now all I need to do is keep the kids from breaking Wind.

Edit: Forgot to add. The Wind is overclockable! I haven't tried this yet with mine because it requires a bios update. The top oc option apparently gives it a 24% boost. That means 1.984 ghz. Hmmm, I'm off to update a certain bios.
    Last edited by kbohip; 01-25-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Re: The MSI Wind.

How are you liking it? Is it holding up? 10" is a nice screen size. it costs about $450 here in cda.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

I like it a lot so far. If you really need the portability a netbook offers, I'd say this is a very good choice. Keep in mind though I only spent around $275 for mine. Personally, I just wouldn't feel right about spending over $350 for any netbook. Reason being is $500 can get you a faster dual core notebook.

That being said, netbooks definitely have some advantages over a full sized notebook. Battery life is great at almost 6 hours for my 6 cell equipped Wind. Portability is unbeatable. These things are very easy to take with you everywhere. The Wind also runs very, very cool. No burning crouch! I'm still very impressed with the quality on this, and it's holding up to almost daily use very well.

Truth be told, the slower speed hasn't bothered me at all yet. I do mostly net surfing with it. It does have more than enough power for all office programs, and it runs Divx movies just fine. The speakers do suck though. A great site to go to learn everything you wanted to know about the Wind is:

http://forums.msiwind.net/

BTW, there are some people over there running the Win 7 beta on these little Winds no problem at all!
    Last edited by kbohip; 01-17-2009 at 02:47 AM.

I have an Asus EEE 100oh. I use it for email, web, watching downloaded stuff. It's a pretty competent machine. I installed Ubuntu on it and I dual boot XP home with very issued.

These are competent little machines. The days of spending $$$ on expensive laptops are over for me. I leave the heavy lifting for my desktop.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Great info, thanks guys. In Toronto the prices are a little crazy high for the netbooks. I have even looked at value laptops that have more power and cost about the same ($500-$600) but the size of the netbook really appeals to me.

Asus EEE 1000h is still almost $600...but in some ways it is not comparable to a regular laptop. It markets to be compared against the ultra portables.

I can't find Asus EEE 100oh - do you have a link? Thanks...
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

I bought mine in August back when the dollar was 1.06
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

kbohip, what about USB ports and other connectors? I am sure there isn't a lot but what can you tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by 30'06 View Post
    kbohip, what about USB ports and other connectors? I am sure there isn't a lot but what can you tell us?
    Sorry, just saw this post. It has 3 usb ports, as well as a camera media reader. It works fine with my SDHC media. It also has an ethernet port, speaker output, microphone input, as well as a vga out.

Lol. THE weirdest review for a piece of hardware I've ever seen. It does give you a great idea of the size of this thing though. Don't ask me who the Hell the old man was in the first part of the video. It's like these guys were driving down the street, saw him with a Wind, and held his daughter captive until he gave them his opinions on his new toy.

I have an MSI Wind U120...the main difference between it and the older U100 is the integrated RAM. The U120 has no RAM slots, but has an extra mini PCI-E slot and a SIM card slot. Im running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 8.10...and I seldom see it use more than 450MB of memory, and thats with Blender going. I got rid of the 160GB SATA and added a 32GB SSD. The onboard Realtek wifi was a pain for me, so I got an Intel Wifi Link 5300 to replace it. My next upgrade will be a 3G mini PCI-E card so I can have internet anywhere (almost). My AT&T data plan is $20 a month for unlimited, might as well toss a SIM card in my netbook and use it on a bigger screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

What do you guys think about these umpc devices? Im reading over your posts and wondering just how big the interest/market might get.
    A member brought up the issue at our Suggestions Forum.

Thanks.

thanks a lot guys, way to make me bust out the newegg preferred card!

got me a samsung nc10 in blue, also added 2gb of ddr2 800 and an external slim samsung dvd burner. (had to get it over 500 bucks for 6 months deferred payments)

it's supposed to be one of the nicest netbooks out there. yeah alittle bit pricey, but from what i've read it has a great screen, great keyboard, and 7+ hours of battery life, which to me was most important for a netbook.

my current laptop rarely get's an hour and a half unplugged, it's gonna be great to have a laptop that really is mobile.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I think you'll like it quite a bit Brand. The best part about using one of these is when you get back to your pc's monitor, it looks like a big screen tv! I just got back from a week+ vacation with mine and the thing performed flawlessly. It was really nice to have while waiting for the plane at the airports. The battery life on mine says about 6 hours (with the 6-cell battery) but it's probably closer to 5, though it's never run out on me to know for sure. When I was traveling back home, I forgot to charge it the night before we went to the airport. The Wind has a "green" feature that throttles back the cpu and dims the screen a bit to extend the battery life. When I started using it the battery was at 26% and I used it for almost 2 hours in the green mode. It still had 10% left when I turned it off.

What's really funny is the looks you get from people when it's sitting on your lap. I had 2 different people sitting behind me asking about it. The one lady was amazed it was even a computer at all. They both said they wanted to get a netbook over a notebook for what they mostly use it for.

Jimz, I think the market for these is HUGE! As long as they keep the prices down on them and the size and weight is kept down they will sell like mad.
    Last edited by kbohip; 04-16-2009 at 07:03 PM.

i think you're right about the market. hardware is finally fast enough and small enough that we can make these things to where they're responsive and can be used for average day to day tasks on the go.

i think in a year or two we'll have most of them with wimax and 3g support, touch screens should come along as well. i could see some with those pivoting displays to be used as tablets. i'd say eventually we'll get some more capable of playing hd. mine plays 720p just fine, and even though the display is sub hd it looks great, but at 1080p it chugs. not that it matters alot as like i said, the display is limited. however you can connect them to larger displays, some even have hdmi out.

i love the multi touch pad on mine, 2 finger scrolling is great!

i think we'll be seeing most of them going to 10+ hours of battery time eas in another year or two. the samsung n120 already boasts 10.5 hrs, so 12 or more seems like it's coming our way.

can't wait to see what the next generation of netbook style chipsets and cpu's brings. the 1.6ghz atom does pretty darn well, but it's getting old, so i'm gonna bet we're gonna see something newer and faster soon.

i'm pretty excited about where these things might be headed. i just hope prices stay sub $500, or better yet sub $400.

i'm pretty sure win7 will become the standard os for them when it's released as well. it runs well on lessr hardware and has MUCH better power options. once support becomes official i think win7 will easily add some runtime to current and especially newer netbooks to come out.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT