Memory not recognised

Hi All

I am currently using a AsRock P4i45PE which allows a simple form of over clocking, so as I was looking to upgrade on a tight budget I upgraded the CPU from 2.4 to 3.2 and purchased new memory as over clock will only allow 1 stick of memory, so I purchased a 1gb stick of PC3200 DDR 400MHZ 184PIN.

I installed the CPU moved the FSB jumper over and installed memory and rebooted system, CPU found and showing 2.8 (fantastic) but memory only showing 32mb??

So can any one help me sort out this memory issue?

Thanks in advance

Trebor

Re: Memory not recognised

Are you sure you're not seeing the video card reporting the video RAM? Is this before or after it tells you what CPU you have?

M

why did cpu show 2.8? Anyway, clear the cmos, when you reboot things should be a-ok if the chipset/memory structure supports 1 gig.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Update

I have now bitten the bullet and updated the bios, boy was that scary?

Any way now have the latest bios 3.10 and sorry for the typo the system is showing 3.2 cpu not 2.8 as I stated earlier.

But still all I am seeing is 32mb memory??

So any thoughts or suggestion would be gratefully accepted

Update

I cleared the CMOs but still no joy only 32mb memory showing as available?

I have now bitten the bullet and updated the bios, boy was that scary?

Any way now have the latest bios 3.10 and sorry for the typo the system is showing 3.2 cpu not 2.8 as I stated earlier.

But still all I am seeing is 32mb memory??

Tried booting into windows in case this was a bios error Windows XP Pro does not like 32mb memory to run on especially as the memory card should take 64mb of it?

So any thoughts or suggestion would be gratefully accepted

have your tried the other memory slot?

run memory86 and see what it comes up with.

http://www.memtest.org/

ud

You never answered my question: does the "32MB" message appear before or after it tells you what speed the CPU is?

M

Open System Properties in Windows to see how much memory windows is recognizing.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

In reply to the following question and I do appreciate all your help
    uddarts asked:"have your tried the other memory slot?"
    Reply: if jumper is set to FSB you can only use the first memory slot
    Meridian asked:"You never answered my question: does the "32MB" message appear before or after it tells you what speed the CPU is?"
    Reply:after, this is showing in the BIOS screen.
    TheGlasMan asked:"Open System Properties in Windows to see how much memory windows is recognizing."
    Reply: This was answered in my reply on the 12/11/08 "Tried booting into windows in case this was a bios error Windows XP Pro does not like 32mb memory to run on especially as the memory card should take 64mb of it?

I know that someone will have the answer

Doesn't like doesn't mean doesn't boot

Have you tried booting at FSB 333/mem333, and fsb400/mem 333 to see what happens? Also repeat with an original stick if doesn't work.

Update had memory tested today, and it is showing 936mb which is 1000mb - 64mb graphics. So I can now eliminate memory.

I am unable to do what you have suggested TheGlasMan as I am awaiting a delivery of thermal CPU paste before I can try.

Will let you know once I have tried it.

Thanks again for for your help

Trebor
    Last edited by trebor58; 12-16-2008 at 04:37 PM.

trebor, these things can be set in the bios if you are planning on changing cpu's before trying. You can do it now (asssuming the heatsink is still attached to the cpu) .

Heat sink is not attached.