Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AMD Cpu's 'burn out' or 'short out' before Pentium4's do

I read this thread many years ago, about a college computer professor (basic computer science) who said this. The student (the thread poster) told the professor this was biased bull. Me at the time being an AMD fanboy, I agreed with he student, as well as most all the other members.

but recently volunteering (hoping to be hired soon) @ goodwill computer works, I'm starting to see where this came from. I've been testing cpu's. After all the support OEM's gave to Intel, we have soo many P4's. After testing about 70 of them, including Williamettes, we only had about 4 dead. Not nearly as many K7's, but out of about 40, I would have 2/5th's, or maybe even closer to 5/9's (maybe even half) were bad. This is somewhat telling. With no thermal protection, It seems K7's do burn out, maybe from he heatsink falling off the socket, or the fan not working. Or ameatures just globbing thermal paste on them. You can't compare those to K8's through, but it does make sense where this came from

thoughts?
    Random Quote:

View Source

Re: AMD Cpu's 'burn out' or 'short out' before Pentium4's do

Also consider that in the K7 days, AMD depended considerably on 3rd party chipsets, and one of the best chipsets was from a company new to making them (nVidia). Intel had many more years in platform design, so the systems were probably run under better tolerances. Also, K7 was all around cheaper, which means Socket A boards probably had cheaper everything on them. My brother's old system is a good example. I built him a K7 setup many years ago, and when it died, I found that it was the motherboard. It was one of the better K7 boards of the day (A7N8X deluxe). The CPU itself was actually fine (XP 2400+), so I dropped it in my buddy's PC. That CPU is still going strong a year later.

AMD processors did have worse temp protection a long, long, long time ago, yes. But things have also changed since then.

Another reason why P4s have survived better has probably something to do with them having heat spreaders and the K7s not having them.

I think that at least some A7N8X deluxe had trouble with bad caps, which seemed to be a problem with a lot of motherboards at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    AMD processors did have worse temp protection a long, long, long time ago, yes. But things have also changed since then.

Another reason why P4s have survived better has probably something to do with them having heat spreaders and the K7s not having them.
    Since K7's did not have integrated heatsinks, the CPU Die was more prone to damage.

Bah... i make no apologies for AMD's manufacturing process. I submit that the OP's sample is not perfectly random and his conclusion is not statistically valid.

Especially because many are still running today as many here will attest.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

well, these were all individual CPU's tested on a working board, with the exception of a few 2800-3200's cause I have yet to find a board that will recognize them (yeah I know K7 DDR 400 boards that will are few and far between).

I've seen some pretty bad stuff. One AthlonXP looks like they squeezed an entire tube of thermal paste on the die, which right now had no paste on it, but about half in inch all around it, stacked as high as the die itself. I refuse to test this one till I can really clean it

of course we have few K8's. like 2 754's, 2 939's and one AM2

One thing I did find up on this high shelf was an AM2 SLI board with a X2 5600+ in it. Runs beautifully, i'm not sure what w'ere going to do with it. We have one stick of DDR2 for testing, about 40 sticks of 400, 60 sticks of 333, TONS of 266, and a whole 3'x3' of ram stacked about a foot high. Most of which SDR, bunch of sims. Too bad the boss man charges all ram statically, based on size, not size & type, nor supply. 69 year old fart

Quote Originally Posted by AMDAthlonguy View Post
    Since K7's did not have integrated heatsinks, the CPU Die was more prone to damage.
    Well they had no thermal protection whatsoever. P4's will shut the core down, P3's lock up, and K7's will fry. If anyone remembers the tomshardware video back in the day of what happened when they took the heatsink off during a load
    Last edited by Uranium; 12-16-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: adding
    Random Quote:

View Source

Yeah, I remember that video, as it was the beginning of the end for Tom's credibility. Oh, and as for what happens when you remove a heatsink on a K7? It actually happened to me once, as a socket lug cracked, causing my copper heatisink to fall onto my Geforce 3 Ti. This happened in the middle of the night, while I was asleep. The board was a KT133E, and the CPU was an Athlon 900. Guess what? Other than the broken lug, the entire system still worked perfectly. The system was not in suspend either, but it safely shut itself down, as the PC was off in the morning (the first sign to me that something was wrong).
    Last edited by MacGurkin; 12-16-2008 at 09:00 AM.

There is also a video of intel cpu's burning up. (pop off the heatsink and poof) AMD K7 thermal protection was via the board thermal sensor.
    Since your samples are by definition scrap I don't think you can read too much into it

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Here's one of the aforementioned vids. He tries several different platforms. Not sure what it proves.

http://www.youtube.com/v/hsqGyLH-foQ&hl=en&fs=1

I actually burned my 1.33 T-bird accidentally a few years back. I had to take it out to test a 462 board but when I put it back in I was in such a hurry I didn't see the wire for the fan heatstink got caught between the die and the heatsink. Turned for a second then smoke came out the side. Of course I had no thermal protection value in the bios to initiate a shutdown, which might of saved it. Oh well, the whole incident convinced this company I did web work for to buy me a 3500+ 939 and A8N-E, also go in halfsies on the memory and 6800 GS (at the time was $300)
    Random Quote:

View Source

I got it now!! When the K8's came out evreyone got the "I need a new computer, Boss" virus!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uranium View Post

One thing I did find up on this high shelf was an AM2 SLI board with a X2 5600+ in it. Runs beautifully, i'm not sure what w'ere going to do with it.
    I'll give you 10$ for it

riiiight.

The bad thing right now is a lot of the donations we get are through this 'scrap room'. We have about 8 people back there taking systems apart, and they don't get us to sort through what goes out for scrap. Today I was finally able to get access to this giant bucket of ram. Found bunch of nice DDR sticks, even a few gaming sticks and even some DDR2 sticks. In the bucket, I also found a 3500+ 939 hah

it was me that finally broke it to the other techs about what they're throwing away. Our lead tech went through thier cpu's and found a HT P4, and CORE 2 DUO 6600, they were going to throw away

we also got this neet donated system I got working, I took a pic /w my phone and i'll post a pic later when I get back home. I was going to scrap it but when I saw why it didn't work, before they donated it they took the CPU out, and put the heatsink back on like it had one. Most of the time people don't take CPU's out, but most donated systems are OEM's, and this...definitely...wasn't
    Last edited by Uranium; 12-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Random Quote:

View Source

aww no attachments? oh well i'll use myspace

I woulden't say its not OEM cause it is shuttle MB & case, but its barebones OEM

I put a P4 2.4/133 in there /w 512M DDR 400 Dual channel (whats the chance of me finding two matching sticks in the bin? crazy)
    Last edited by Uranium; 12-17-2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Random Quote:

View Source