ziplock backs OK to ship electronics in?

So i am selling my whole comptuer, and i am NOT at my normal house, with TONS of ESD bags,etc. Wondering what you guys suggest i wrap my components in??? i have a complete PC i am shipping, so i need ideas for every component. my main question is can i use a garbage bag for the mobo, and ziplock bags for the rest? Ideas? thanks!

Andy

Re: ziplock backs OK to ship electronics in?

That's a dangerous proposition. Standard plastic bags will generate static electricity, possibly damaging the components packed in them.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Quote Originally Posted by mlevy View Post
    That's a dangerous proposition. Standard plastic bags will generate static electricity, possibly damaging the components packed in them.
    Nah, Dell does it all the time, the only way an ESD bag is effective is if its air tight sealed. Don't believe me, rub an ESD bag on your head hair, and look in the mirror.

Most electronics are more durable than people think.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

If i remember right, insulators(plastics) can get charged by rubbing onto carpet and such things, so in theory, if i were to stay away from rubbing the plastic bags on furry carpet i should be fine. correct? seems logical to me.......

PS. i know what u mean about rubbing ESD bags on hair once opened..

I would recommend to only use bubble wrap/pillow wrap, and/or paper shreds package your item. and NOT use any styrofoam products.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Antistatic bags work by moving charges from inside to outside. But yeah, I think it's dumb to lay something on the outside of the bag because it could be charged at the time.

The problem is there are too many factors to know where static electricity exists. One way to find it is to break a component with it. Dry conditions and certain materials create it. It can be found on a table-top even. Remember it, exists where two materials have a different buildup of electrical charge. Unless you're robocop, don't know how you can tell. You can make educated guesses in that most smooth/finished surfaces might have it, including plastics, metals, etc. but I don't know what else.

Wrap it in dryer sheets. ROFL.

I got a soundcard through media mail one time wrapped in the funny papers. There was no other packaging beyond packing tape. Works fine, been using it for awhile now.

You can never tell.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

You're suggesting using a news paper, yea? that wouuld be easy to swing.... Any more advice?

I believe Antistatic Man used Bounty paper towels. Come to think of it I never got a shock pulling them off the roll. Might be something to this.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by boardsportsrule View Post
    So i am selling my whole comptuer, and i am NOT at my normal house, with TONS of ESD bags,etc. Wondering what you guys suggest i wrap my components in??? i have a complete PC i am shipping, so i need ideas for every component. my main question is can i use a garbage bag for the mobo, and ziplock bags for the rest? Ideas? thanks!

Andy
    The whole point of ESD-type packaging is to be able to dissipate static electricity. In other words, all ESD plastic is electrically conductive. The problem with normal plastics is its' ability to hold a static charge (until you insert your $500 graphics card and the resultant static discharge disables/damages some really important component).

Paper packaging has its' risks as well since it insulates until you pull it out. Drop me a PM if you want me to send you some proper 'used' ESD bags.

Cheers,
    Dave