Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DreamCatcher’s WC Overclocking “Questions & Issues”

Thought I’d pull this out of the DreamCatcher v2.0’s work log for now. I’ve replaced the original nView / 4000+ Brisbane assembly that was part of DreamCatcher v2.0 OC’ing with the nView / Opty 1210 that was from the nView-1210 OC’ing Thread. The major changes of course are that it has been crammed into DCv2’s Ultra MX6 mATX case and water cooled.

Briefly this is what we’re dealing with:

Mobo: abit NF-M2 nView
    CPU: Opty 1210 CCB6F 0750EPMW w/ Cuplex XT di
    GPU: Evga 8800GT SC w/Twinplex Pro
    Memory: G. Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ PC2-6400

I re-set everything (with exception of CPU clock and vcore) to the final setup’s values on the tech station:

SoftMenu Setup:
    CPU Operating Speed
    CPU External Clock:....variable
    PCIe Clock:………......…100
    Multiplier Factor:…....…x9
    Voltage Control
    CPU Core v:….....……….1.55v
    DDRII v:…………….......…2.4v
    DDRII Ref v:…….....…….0
    Chipset Core (NB?) v:..1.24v
    SB Core AUX v:……......1.50v
    Hyper-Trans’t v:…..…...1.20v

Advance Chipset Features:
    K8<->NB HT Speed: 4x
    K8<->NB HT Width: 16 up/dwn
    NB<->SB HT Speed: 4x
    ND<->SB HT Width: 8 up/dwn
    DRAM Configuration:
    DRAM Clock:...........677
    TwTr:...................3
    Trfc 0 for DIMM1:...127.5ns
    Trfc 1 for DIMM2:...127.5ns
    Trfc 2 for DIMM3:...127.5ns
    Trfc 3 for DIMM4:...127.5ns
    Twr:…………….…......6
    TrTp:…………….….....2
    Trc:………………........24
    Trcd:………………......5
    Trrd:……………….......5
    Trp:…………………......5
    Tras:……………….......18
    CAS Latatency:......5

Power Management Setup:
    K8 Cool'n'Quiet: Disable

PC Health Status:
    CPU Shutdown Temp: 90C / 194C
    CPU Warning Temp: 80C / 176F

I mean after all things being water cooled it should do as well if not better that before, right?!? What a big difference an open tech station is compared to a closed mATX box! I “knew” there would be some heat related issues but………..

Wanted to start the FSB at the best “stable” that I had when initially oc’ed the system, but didn’t. The one major “liberty” I took was the vcore value as I ass_u_med the cooling loop would handle it so started at 1.55V. As mentioned in the work log the fans in the Aquaduct won’t start, but what the hay at that haven’t downloaded their aquasuite software yet (another story). Besides without the fans running this is what I had at idle

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: DreamCatcher’s WC Overclocking “Questions & Issues”

My initial testing methodology was to use 15 minute OCCT runs and monitor temps with SpdFan and CoreTemp. The FSB would be bumped up gradually with boot ups until I reach 300 and then would start using ClockGen.

As best I can tell the AUX temp in SpdFan is the NB, if I’m wrong please tell me as it may make my like a lot easier! Right off the bat the first thing I noticed is the nb temps are warm to hot. The AUX temp kept climbing all the way up into the 70s and sure enough the nb was HOT to the touch. Even with water cooling the cpu and gpu temps were higher for idle and stress than on air. Below you can see what happened after I tossed an 80mm fan loose in the case kinda sort pointed at the nb cooler with FWB only at 250.

The fan helped some so in the back of my mind I started thinking of ways to mount a fan (refer to the worklog for the “details”). However even with the fan attached the nb cooling became a major issue for me.

The short of it is – with water cooling I can NOT match the best stable I had with the board when I did nView-1210 OC’ing Thread. The best ClockGen was also less than the original. Backed it down to 352 just to get it to last longer than 10 minutes and temps OH MY GOD!!! The NB is sitting at 75C (per SpdFan) with the 60mm fan and the cores are sitting at 55 - 57C. Couldn't even imagine what the temps would be if the gpu was running at full bore!!!! The system did manage a 5 hour run of OCCT before I manually stopped but you can see what the temps were like…….

OH, BTW the Aquaduct was waiting for 50+ temps to get the fan rolling. Trying to figure out the software as I might be able to get the fans to come on sooner and run faster. It doesn't help when the help files are written in German only!!

In talking with ud at pcper I also touched the voltage regulators cooler and it is barely warm! I would think with a heatpipe it would also be hot. Also checked the nb in Kermit and it was a lot cooler than DC, but then again Kermit is set at 300FSB for 2.7GHz, vcore is 1.45V, the nb volts are the same at 1.24V. ud has suggested maybe redoing the TM to see if that makes a difference.

Before taking the stuff apart I decided to drop the FSB to 348 and lower the vcore to 1.45V to see what the temps would do, cooler but …………..didn’t last 15 minutes in OCCT. Looks like something wants the power. For general use and folding I decided I didn’t need the bleeding edge of oc’ing so dropped it back to 345 FSB (3.1GHz) and put the vcore at 1.475. Started a 6 hour run of OCCT and went to bed. When I got up this morning the system had locked about half way through the fun. Not sure if it is heat or settings related, but the temps were appreciably lower with the cores in the low 50s and the nb at 66C.

So after all of this BS is the NB the reason (due to heat) that I can run a stable OC as high as I did when testing the layout on air?
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 01-18-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Hey Jedi, see you're having fun.
    Whay cpu temps are you reporting, core or heatspreader (not that they are that much different on my am2 opti) mid to low 50's other temps in the 40's. Cpu at 1.4v, mem at 2.1v 3.2 G. Stock coolers. I also have a late s939 at 3.1 stockcooling as well as my older s939 at 2.8 water cooled Allin the low 1.4 range nF4 type chipsets.

Your water rig is not high performance, it is quiet and compact A bigger rad and getting the fans to work right will be a big help, but it is limited in the heat it can remove.

In my opinion your cpu and memory voltages are way too high. the memory will not last long, and could be the fail point right now. (since passively cooled probably most effected by being in the case) The high temps and voltages are a recipe for failed overclocks.
    Likewise the cpu voltage is in the range that I find increases temps without helping oc.

yes the chipset must be actively cooled, time for some lapping (if rough) and TIMing as well. Always have used stock voltage here. Don't know why the temps are so high, your case temp (via vid card) are fine.

Register at speedfan to se if there is a custom setup for your board. that aux may not be your chip temp could be one of the temps.

Have fun. I would go back to optimum defaults (after cmos clear) and start over. With the rad fans working full speed, you can lower them later. Do not put mem voltage over 2.2, and try to keep cpu setting to 1.425 or lower. Chipset at default.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 12-30-2008 at 06:34 AM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I also have a late s939 at 3.1 stockcooling
    you are the man!

ud

One can not leave well enough alone!

Went back in for S&Gs and dropped the vcore to 1.45V, NB voltage had already been set back to stock, dropped vdmm to 2.3V, and dropped the mem divider to 533.

Loaded up ClockGen to see what it would do with the lower voltages and the max 8M run was 355ish FSB and would not do it at 360. As usual I can't recall the exact order but........ during one of my resets and bios checks I got a BSOD while trying to drag the SpdFan window on the desktop.

I had been watching SpdFan and CoreTemp for about 5 - 8 minutes to see what idle temp values were as SpdFan's site suggested doing that and then going into bios to watch temps and try to match "titles". Then I got the idea to take the temp probe that comes with the MX6 case and place it as close to the NB cooler as possible. So I shut everything down and unplugged power to do this. At start up I began receiving alarm beeps so shut it down and check all connections. I only unplugged the mobo 12V plug when placing the probe. Powered back up and no joy so clear CMOS......same, moved mem to different slot.....same.

The alarm is a single 1-1/2 to 2 sec beep with a 2-3-1/2 sec pause between. Refresh MY memory as to what that may mean as I can't find it in the manual.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

video card? power plug?

then try 1 stick of different ram you have laying around.

ud

Put in 1 stick of OCZ PC-6400 and it boots up. Put in the second matched stick in and get the same long beep error.

Heading to work.........
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 12-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

try not to think too much about it for the rest of the day.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    try not to think too much about it for the rest of the day. ud

Trying not too! However as I was driving into work realize I should have left it running with the 1 stick at stock speeds so it could have been at least doing the gpu folding!

EDIT: Know one thing for sure if this was still in stock or this happened last week when it was......it would have been ordered!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131289R
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 12-30-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added egg note

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Stand corrected the ASUS M3A78-CM was what I should have grabbed however if the ASUS M3A78-EM should show up any time soon in open box, I may have to fight the wife!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

The alarm is a single 1-1/2 to 2 sec beep with a 2-3-1/2 sec pause between. Refresh MY memory as to what that may mean as I can't find it in the manual.
    Sorry bud, memory. ddr2 is 1.8 stock, 2.1 to 2.2 high performance (factory overclocked, easy way to make 667 into 800, 800 into 1066 etc or lower latency depending on chips) and over is burnout city.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Sorry bud, memory. ddr2 is 1.8 stock, 2.1 to 2.2 high performance (factory overclocked, easy way to make 667 into 800, 800 into 1066 etc or lower latency depending on chips) and over is burnout city.
    Thanks for the good news GM!!

Well that kinda sucks as I originally had been going by a review of this particular G. Skill which said that it could not run at 1.8 and 2.2 was "normal" and 2.4 to 2.5 was "fine". Wish I could find that review! If I remember right one of my initial start up issues back last spring was trying to run at 1.8. However it was not my intention to run at 2.5 more like 2.4 which it did well with on air earlier this year. No sure how I did that!

However that doesn't explain why it will boot with one stick of the OCZ but duplicate the issue when set up in "dual". Comments?

EDIT: SNIT!!! Just had a thought........(again dangerous) the bios may be still set at 2.2 for the G. Skill and the OCZ is factory 1.9 - 2.1!!! Better check that when I get home, drop the vdimm to 2.0 and if that works for the 2 x 1024 OCZ. Looks like I'll need to shop for replacement G. Skill.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 12-30-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    you are the man!
    ud
    Not me , VnF4

However that doesn't explain why it will boot with one stick of the OCZ but duplicate the issue when set up in "dual". Comments?
    Have you tried 1 G-skill. and the other? At anyrate make sure you are running the factory default voltage, they may not run with out it. You use the singe stick to boot and change settings, then bump the voltage to what is on the stick.
    could be the cpu controller having trouble. the controller was why I stopped using bh5 (ddr) at 3.+ voltage. (other more recent such as 'TCCD would not be volted that high) Also one of the reasons not to crank the cpu voltage as it raises the NB (as opposed to the chipset) juice. Helps to stabilize the memory controller when used judiciously.

As far as the review, 2.5 would be fine, but not for long term use, much less folding 24/7. Anyway what I've read since ddr2 came out was too not overvolt over 2.1-2 for 2.1 default. Certainly that could change, but I haven't seen anything referring to cranking the voltage yet. Change over to ddr3 will most likely cease development of a high juice ddr2 chip

I am using G-skill 1000 on my am2 opty at 2.1 rated. I'm sure you know memory speed is not critical, it's for bragging rights (hence the bh5 in bygone days) and it's nice to run 1:1, but it isn't worth running too much juice. Heat if nothing else is the killer.

Each stick of G. Skill was tried as a single with no joy. So as I told ud in a PM I think it is "southerm fried g. skill". After responding to your post went looking and sure enough the listed range is 2.0 - 2.2 for what I was using.

.....could be the cpu controller having trouble.
    If I fried something lets hope it is the memory and NOT the controller! As I may have a lead on another set at a "reasonable" price. BTW if I'm replacing the mem think maybe try for something like your ddr2 1000 as opposed to more ddr2 800?

After reading your info I'm beginning to think the vdmm is too high for the OCZ and that is why it'll boot with one stick but not two. Or then again could this be a "the controller" fried?

Well for now I've got to muddle through the last hour and half of work to get home to play. Going to be a short night though as I'll need to rest for my double tomorrow night.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 12-30-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Not me , VnF4
    i've accepted always coming in 2nd to ya but it's that stock cooler. i've had to use a arctic 7 with a 4000rpm fan to keep my temps in line.

actually a tie. found this

as good as the vnf4 is the msi neo4 was faster in superpi. i noticed that when i had a 170@2800 it was almost as fast the the vnf4 with running 3000+.

with the 175 in the neo4 i was able to find a spot in the superpi hall of fame.

you and your stock cooler.

ud