Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: CPU upgrade for Acer 5100 notebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Have you tried the Hulu HD videos or anything HD from abc.com running full screen? I can run videos in a window no problem. It's the full screen HD content which seems like the challenge. Like I said though the dual core has made a difference. Also connecting directly to my home network over wire rather than wireless helped as well. The laptop video is ATI 1100 express. The abc.com HD content runs full screen 30 fps now so I'm pleased with that. I have to investigate Hulu further to see if I'm only getting 20 fps because of CPU limitations or something else like bandwidth.
    I hadn't checked the HD ones before, but I am glad I stumbled across this thread cause I just tried and they are pretty sweet.

I didn't have an issue with playback from my workstation. A Dell D630 with Intel 965 video and a Core 2 Duo processor at 2.0GHz connected to a Cisco wireless AP. I ran it full screen, (not on a TV mind you), and the iexplore.exe process was running at a steady 17% of CPU usage (I also set the iexplore task priority to real-time). Guess what I'm really getting at is it just seems odd that processing power would be your limiting factor. I would think more along the lines of either bandwidth (which has been ruled out by your desktop on your network not having the issue) or some configuration related issue. I'll have to try my Celeron to see what I can get out of it, but I just don't see HD video consuming your resources for playback. If it were encoding, I could definitely see it. But playback I can't see requiring much, if anything. I mean, if a 500MHz AMD K6-2 can allow playback of DVD content which is roughly 4-7gb worth of data for 2 hours of video, a 1.6GHz CPU should be sufficient for playback of 16gb worth of data. I haven't tried it, but I would certainly think it could process without issue.
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
    2x80GB WD Sata Drive in RAID0
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Sapphire Radeon 3870 512MB DDR4
    Audigy Value

Well, I guess my Celeron did have extreme issues with playback. Seems strange, but confirms some truth to the processor angle.

Have you tried to set your browser as a Real-time priority to see if that helps?
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Audigy Value

Quote Originally Posted by jp197 View Post
    Well, I guess my Celeron did have extreme issues with playback. Seems strange, but confirms some truth to the processor angle.

Have you tried to set your browser as a Real-time priority to see if that helps?
    No I haven't but somehow I seem to get smoothly videos on XP compared to Vista. I just tried a HULU HD video full screen (at 1280x800) and the X2 dual core was at 65%. Last time I tried it on the TV (at 1920x1080) it was choppy. I didn't check the CPU usage at that time (but I will next time) but I do remember the frame rate being in the low 20's when it needs to be around 30 to be nice and smooth. Could the desktop resolution be that much of a factor? 1920x1080 is the native resolution of my TV so that's why I use that.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

No I haven't but somehow I seem to get smoothly videos on XP compared to Vista. I just tried a HULU HD video full screen (at 1280x800) and the X2 dual core was at 65%. Last time I tried it on the TV (at 1920x1080) it was choppy. I didn't check the CPU usage at that time (but I will next time) but I do remember the frame rate being in the low 20's when it needs to be around 30 to be nice and smooth. Could the desktop resolution be that much of a factor? 1920x1080 is the native resolution of my TV so that's why I use that.
    I would think the resolution could contribute as it is processing more pixels.

And I can easily see it being a little worse on Vista as Vista tends to have more processes than Windows XP. Part of the reason why I loaded XP onto my Celeron (which originally had Vista basic). XP just runs faster because it has fewer bells and whistles than Vista.

I am not sure, btw, how much the real-time setting helps, but I would think it should at least allow your OS to dedicate most of its processing power to keep things smooth there, and hopefully get your playback to an acceptable, smooth level. If it is truly this dependant on the processor, you might be out of luck if it doesn't.
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Audigy Value

Sorry I didnt get to check back sooner, but I'm glad everything worked out fine.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Hi Lenny,

I'm french forumeur and my english is not very good !! S O R R Y ...
    Your new CPU upgrade is a
    TL-60 - TMDTL60HAX5DM
    I have question :
    The genuine CPU on laptop is a 0.009 micron manufacturing process and the TL60 X5DM is a 0.065 micron cpu !!
    This motherboard (ACER BL 51) accept really this CPU ?
    I believed that only 0.009 were accepted....

The 0.065 micron make less heat and I shall want too to make the manip.

I wish to have confirmation that this motherboard (aspire 5100 serie) accepts 0.065 micron CPU.
    Regards

Honestly I didn't pay attention to the die size of the CPU but the new one works just fine. This is the new one ...

AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU Dual Core 2.0GHz TL-60 TL60HAX5DM

I have noticed that the laptop locks up more frequently if I use it on my lap instead of a flat surface like a table. I suspect the dual core runs hotter and blocking the cooling vents on the bottom of the laptop prevent proper cooling.

On a completing different subject the DVD-ROM drive stopped working on the 5100. Doesn't even show up in the BIOS. Since I have an extended warranty on it I got a repair estimate. I thought I only need a replacement drive but they tried 6 different drives and none of them worked. They concluded that the controller on the motherboard is bad and I would need motherboard replacement at a cost of $535 installed That's more than I paid for the laptop! The problem with the motherboard controller is apparently a common problem on the 5100. Eventually USB ports stop working and in some cases even the keyboard fails!

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Hi Lenny,
    I have one 5102wlmi out of order of keyboard, touchpad and usb.
    I was able to repared it by warming the chip SB460 on motherboard with a blowtorch for resolder contacts.
    Since everything works.

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone performed a similar CPU upgrade in a laptop?
    Hey Lenny (but especially for all of you thinking of breathing some new life into their old Aspire 5100 model)

I just upgraded my girlfriends Aspire 5100 (Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi Model) with an X2 TL-66 (TMDTL66HAX5DM) CPU and 4GB of RAM and everything works fine. I guess it will also take a TL-68 but I couldn't find one for a reasonable price. the 100Mhz won't make any difference though. So it is confirmed that also the 65nm CPUs will work, not only the 90nm. They just have to fit the S1G1 socket.

Before you upgrade RAM and CPU you should/have to do a BIOS upgrade (3.13 is the latest, the changelog mentions some problems with 4GB installed in previous BIOS versions and the CPU might not be recognized otherwise as well). You should definitely replace the old thermal grease, it was completely hardened out. Because the TDP of the new CPU is 35W while the MK36 only has a TDP of 31W, I used a very good thermal grease (although I don't think it will make a lot of difference except if you continuously have 100% CPU usage which is hardly the case). The temperature under load is now around 60 to 63șC, without load it is around 40șC.

things to watch out:
    - if 4GB is installed you cannot go below 256MB of ram for the Video card (notebook doesn't start up any more). so set the 256MB share to the videocard before upgrading to 4GB
    - if you have the notebook already open (good howto is here: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/taking...e-5100-laptop/ ), also clean the fan and the headsink.
    - Windows XP 32bit only shows 3.0GB. I couldn't get it to show/recognize any more (so adding the 256MB for the video around 700MB of RAM goes wasted)

Peter

4 year old thread but thanks for the reply anyway I did upgrade the Acer 5100 to the dual core I mentioned a few posts back but eventually as things on it started to break I sold it locally to someone who repairs them. I removed the dual core before selling and still have it to this day. I think I tried to sell it a few times without success and eventually I just forgot I still had it