Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HTPC to TV / Receiver Connection Questions.

Well the HTPC project works, to a PC screen - but I may have dropped the ball in respect of connection to the Receiver and TV's.

The subject TV's have NO HDMI inputs and neither do the receivers although one DVD and Satellite source do.

Only one TV is an HDTV, plans to go LCD HDTV for the none HDTV are on hold owing to lack of funds.

The HTPC has HDMI out, DVI & VGA out and optical audio out as well as the normal RCA out audio plugs.

I know that I should be able to use the HDMI conversion cable to use composite input to the receiver and hence via existing coaxial to the HDTV. I will test that just to be sure.

However I would like to use the HTPC on the non HDTV for now.

I plan to play around with S-Video output to the receiver (I have a capable VIVO card I can add in if need be) but I wonder if there are any 5.1 receivers out there that will let me use HDMI cables to the receiver for Satellite/Tivo & DVD but S-video out to the TV for now and until I get a new HDTV that will also have HDMI inputs?

Anyone got any ideas on this one? If I need to upgrade the Receiver and TV at the same time - it puts the day off even further.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Re: HTPC to TV / Receiver Connection Questions.

Do any of your TVs have a VGA in or even DVI in, or is it all S-Video?
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Tell me the exact specs, Brit (model numbers) of video card, receiver, and TV. That way I can look at the back panels and specs online. What are you using for audio? (specs of card/mobo and cables). I'll bet I have some cables and connectors right here that are yours for shipping.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Do any of your TVs have a VGA in or even DVI in, or is it all S-Video?
    The HDTV has composite and S-video in.

The normal TV only has RCA or S-video in, its this TV that I wish to output the HTPC to.

I found a UK site that gives me access to UK only TV programs and the ladies of the house prefer to watch TV in that room.
    the Britgeezer

Are VGA to S-Video converters available? They are both analog signals, so it should be possible.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Tell me the exact specs, Brit (model numbers) of video card, receiver, and TV. That way I can look at the back panels and specs online. What are you using for audio? (specs of card/mobo and cables). I'll bet I have some cables and connectors right here that are yours for shipping.
    Well for the STD TV, which is the one I want to output the HTPC to:

TV is an RCA F36669 it has only RCA /Cable and S-video inputs.
    The Receiver is a Sony STR DE-875 it has no DMI or DVI/VGA input but does have composite, Coaxial /Optical digital and S-video in. Its teamed with with a Tivo Samsung SIR S4040R again no HDMI.

Re the HTPC I had planned to use the built in Video of the GA - MA78GPM-DS2H. It has HDMI, DVI, VGA out (no S-video) but of course the Receiver has no input for those and I do want to go via the receiver and use my Harmony remote. I need to use S-video.

My back up Video was an Asus EN9600GSO which has HDTV-out/HDCP compliance, but the card is a bit big and the fan gets in the way of wiring in the micro ATX box, so if need be I will get a Fan-less GPU.

At present I have installed an old fan-less Radeon MX300 for which W-MCE has drivers and looks like it should work via the S-video out.

As for sound, I plan to use the on-board out -optical link to the receiver.

I bought an HDMI to composite cable (in case I need hook up to the HDTV) and have a composite to S-Video cable so the W/E plan is to take a monitor up to the subject TV, hook the HTPC up and see if I can spread the display and get a picture HTPC S-Video out to TV or Receiver S-video in.

I've also been looking at new receivers, most can only output in the way they get the signal, i.e. HDMI in = HDMI out, but there are some that can mix HDMI and Composite in and out and one that looks like it could also output S-video for now. Video. Of course the upconverting is then lost but then most of the source material is not HDTV anyway.

The real solution is to get a new HDTV and Receiver - but I guess I'll just have to pay my taxes instead
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    the Britgeezer

I saw similar products before, the question is whether the onboard video card (see above) supports the feature, but the link to the VGA to S-video converter is the best price I've seen - thanks its a good back up solution and cheaper than a new VC.
    the Britgeezer

if the tv has a scart and vga card 2 outputs then try finding a pc tv sender

http://www.becs-uk.com/catalog/produ...products_id=31

is the one i have it was about 60 quid on ebay
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

Quote Originally Posted by wonkanoby View Post
    if the tv has a scart and vga card 2 outputs then try finding a pc tv sender

http://www.becs-uk.com/catalog/produ...products_id=31

is the one i have it was about 60 quid on ebay
    US products typically don't have Scarts - it was very much a EU only thing, but thanks for trying.

Catford, .... been a long time since I was there - I used to live in Bexley and work in Rotherhithe.
    the Britgeezer

Great find. I love those guys, best prices around and fast shipping. I've gotten lots of oddball stuff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    I saw similar products before, the question is whether the onboard video card (see above) supports the feature, but the link to the VGA to S-video converter is the best price I've seen - thanks its a good back up solution and cheaper than a new VC.
    That's the best for the price at the moment. Then your next move would be receiver and VT. Save up and use this for now.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

http://www.aiop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3451

that should work as you have no scart
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

Well I found time to connect it all up and it ... WORKS!

I'm using the MX300 video card to send S-Video to the HTPC, looks pretty good depending on source materials of course.

I wonder if it would be better with a more modern better featured card such as an HD 4350?

The disappointment is sound, its OK, but I had to use a non digital source because of the receiver.

I'm seriously thinking of a new receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606) or similar in order to to move over to digital input/output as a step towards a new HDTP screen and using HDMI.

Any experience out there on receivers that will permit mixing of input and output source types?

The major problem is with XP-MCE, I have the official remote and keyboard and while in MCE mode the options generally jump 2 at a time instead of 1; very annoying. The only way around it is using the keyboard mouse -which is horrible.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    the Britgeezer

No. It's your source that's low quality. Digital audio and all the GPU power in the world won't make SD television look any better.