Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Nvidia to Fully Unveil GeForce Stereoscopic 3D at CES

Nvidia to fully unveil GeForce Stereoscopic 3D at CES

new active shutter glasses

by AuDioFreaK39

Nvidia is proud to announce that CES 2009 will be the first place the company will reveal its new custom engineered Stereoscopic 3D active shutter glasses.

In August 2008, the stereoscopic 3D technology concept was originally introduced at NVISION, the company's massive visual computing mega-event. The glasses used at the event, however, were only prototypes and had to be connected to an infra red receiver by a small wire. Additionally, Nvidia confessed that 3D driver support had not been optimal due to a lack of quality 3D-capable displays on the market.

With past excuses set aside, Nvidia is finally set to fully unveil its exciting new concept in less than 48 hours and we are looking forward to reporting a hands-on experience shortly.

From the company's CES webpage:

Tired of living in a 2D world? Get fully immersed in 3D with NVIDIA GeForce stereoscopic 3D technology. Come see for yourself as we transform the latest PC games into 3D, and see 3D movies and digital photographs come to life in an eye popping, interactive experience.

The NVIDIA booth is the FIRST place to see new NVIDIA custom engineered, active shutter glasses paired with the latest pure ViewSonic and Samsung 120 Hz LCDs, Mitsubishi Home Theater TVs, and DepthQ HD 3D projectors.

(article to be up on Fudzilla soon)

Re: Nvidia to Fully Unveil GeForce Stereoscopic 3D at CES

Don't shutter glasses have major side effects?

I've tried a iZ3D screen and apart from ghosting issues, it was impressive. Didn't keep it for it's small size (22") and large price tag ($700). The screen can be bought for $350 now but ghosting issues haven't been resolved as far as I know. Some people can live with it. I couldn't with the old price tag.

The Zalman screen seems to be heavily dependent on drivers from nVidia and still costs a full $700.

A cheap 3D technology that works well would be great. Will check out the article once I get off work.

Curious whether the 3D effect will double the screen size as well and give the GFX more stuff to do.

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Can you keep a secret?

Edit: correct link: http://pcper-video.s3.amazonaws.com/...ideoReview.mp4

Full article, etc should be up on the 8th!
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Interesting that NVIDIA decided on a $199 price point for this new technology. While I personally agree with the price, I have talked with several industry insiders who think it may be too inflated for current economic situations. Then again, the perspective that represents the mainstream population as depicted in your review seems to have no problem with it, and that is where NVIDIA has the right idea.

All in all, thanks for the insight Ryan! I will definitely be linking people to PCPerspective's Review on January 8th.

Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

I have no idea what you did to this poor video to make it such but it is nothing but a gray mess in both VLC, MPC and GOM Player.

Wow, really? It was simply H.264 encoded as far as I can tell. Quicktime software not work on it? Unfortunately I can't make any changes on it until I get home from CES Friday....
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    I have no idea what you did to this poor video to make it such but it is nothing but a gray mess in both VLC, MPC and GOM Player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Wow, really? It was simply H.264 encoded as far as I can tell. Quicktime software not work on it? Unfortunately I can't make any changes on it until I get home from CES Friday....
    I had the same problem viewing the video, I updated/reinstalled quicktime and it played flawlessly

I'm never, ever installing Quicktime again on my machine. Closest I've gotten to willingly installing malware. I can't stand the application or the iTunes crap it tries to sneak in like a little trojan horse.

Between those three media players I'm able to play back anything I've come across so far, even old files that would only play in QT previously. I'm just surprised this one is a problem.

The video crashed my Firefox just as the Best Buy segment was starting but after I restarted Firefox it played right through. It played in QuickTime in a FireFox tab.

I just bought a Samsung LED DLP HL61A750 which I believe supports 3D. If I only had the cash for a video card upgrade (still running a 7600GT) and the glasses I'm thinking Left4Dead would be sweet on 61" in 3D
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Okay, so at least it CAN work. Sorry about the issues, I'll update the file tomorrow if I can.

What do you guys think of the technology in general?

The glasses not the video.

Please digg our article too if you enjoyed it: http://tinyurl.com/8urpf7
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

The glasses not the video.
    Well, I have no idea, given that I haven't tried it nor do I have an avenue to try it.

One thing is for sure though, $199 for the glasses (which will, no doubt, like any other product, translate directly to € here so €199) and then a new, incredibly expensive 1680x1050 monitor even though the one I have currently works perfectly fine.. To achieve this? We already have trackIR, no need for silly glasses, why can't we at least start by supporting that in first person shooters?

I'll leave this tech for the same guys who buy GX2 cards, PhysX cards and Alienware laptops. At least until 120Hz displays are the standard and these sun glasses things come bundled with NVIDIA cards..

Then again I don't know what it looks like and I'll probably never have a chance to try before I buy so I can't really comment on the value, just the perceived value so far.. Is it really that much cooler than the effect you can see in that video I linked?

What do you guys think of the technology in general?]
    Ryan,
    I've not been this excited about a new gaming product in years. The reviews from other tech sites seem to mirror your review and agree that this is some very nice use of stereoscopic technology. So, I've made the decision to buy the all the gear to get this running...

After doing some research, I'm looking at the Samsung HL61A750 61" DLP "3D Ready" display. However, I've noticed from your pictures, and the Best Buy video, that there is overscan occurring on your Mitsubishi WD-60735. Part of the Left 4 Dead HUD is getting clipped off the right edge of the screen. I assume that this is also the case when viewing the Windows desktop. If I'm going to spend $1,500+ on this setup, I'd like to avoid the over scanning issue if at all possible.

I've read in other forums that this is typical for most DLP TVs when the PC is connected to a HDMI input on the DLP display. Supposedly this is irreversible / unavoidable unless the display has a zoom-out function or has the ability to disable overscan. However, I've also read that there is no overscan incurred when a PC is connected thru the VGA (DB-15) port, provided the display offers one. My question then is... Can I use the VGA input instead of the HDMI input and still have the nVidia 3D Vision work properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Double D View Post
    Ryan,
    I've not been this excited about a new gaming product in years. The reviews from other tech sites seem to mirror your review and agree that this is some very nice use of stereoscopic technology. So, I've made the decision to buy the all the gear to get this running...

After doing some research, I'm looking at the Samsung HL61A750 61" DLP "3D Ready" display. However, I've noticed from your pictures, and the Best Buy video, that there is overscan occurring on your Mitsubishi WD-60735. Part of the Left 4 Dead HUD is getting clipped off the right edge of the screen. I assume that this is also the case when viewing the Windows desktop. If I'm going to spend $1,500+ on this setup, I'd like to avoid the over scanning issue if at all possible.

I've read in other forums that this is typical for most DLP TVs when the PC is connected to a HDMI input on the DLP display. Supposedly this is irreversible / unavoidable unless the display has a zoom-out function or has the ability to disable overscan. However, I've also read that there is no overscan incurred when a PC is connected thru the VGA (DB-15) port, provided the display offers one. My question then is... Can I use the VGA input instead of the HDMI input and still have the nVidia 3D Vision work properly?
    This is an interesting question - I am guessing that the answer is NO but I'll let you know what they reply with.

Also, I know you can avoid overscan with the desktop pretty easily by selecting the next smaller resolution but as for in-game, you are correct, I didn't see a way to fix it.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective