Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Wet Corners, NY
    Posts
    2,349

    Help me with a slow burner problem....Solved

    It's probably the media that I'm using, but my burner is taking extemely too much time to burn a dvd. I used to be able to burn a 4.7gb disc in just over 6 minutes but now it takes up to 30 minutes. I'm using Nero 8 and it shows that it's burning at 16x, but I can't believe it. I'm using TDK 4.7 1-16x media. It has a definite bluish tint to the disc, as opposed to a silver finish on most other media. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by tlemaste; 01-13-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: update status of problem.

    100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

  2. #2
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    78

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    its not the media! media is only limiting your drive if it is not 16x...

    i would:
    check around for drivers
    but a new media to test
    change the drive? maybe burned out
    do read and write tests with nero drive speed and discspeed
    options set to max write

    whats the drive like PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA device

    check power issues, ram issue, you running something else while its burning?
    that's most of the issues i could think of in a minute

  3. #3
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Wet Corners, NY
    Posts
    2,349

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    Quote Originally Posted by Swayinc View Post
    its not the media! media is only limiting your drive if it is not 16x...

    i would:
    check around for drivers
    but a new media to test
    change the drive? maybe burned out
    do read and write tests with nero drive speed and discspeed
    options set to max write

    whats the drive like PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA device

    check power issues, ram issue, you running something else while its burning?
    that's most of the issues i could think of in a minute
    I've got the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D. I'm running the speed tests now, and it looks like my burner is toast. It's only going at 1.58x.

    I guess it's time for Newegg.....

    100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

  4. #4
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    check and make sure the channel that the drive is on isn't in PIO mode in device manager.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    53

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    hey i quick question, my DVD burner did the same thing ok tested it ws only 2X bought a new one
    1)using the cdrw' i have now are fine TDK's
    2) bought new ones NX's and the make my computer sound like a vibrator!

    is that normal? put another TDK in and its silent werid huh

    sorry bout ur DVD burner, I have a Pioneer i paid 99 for
    Custom HP Pavilion RIg-See system Pull Tab!
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.10Ghz
    Artic64Freezer
    4.00 GB Ram by G-SKILL 6400 (2x2048mb) w/heat sink
    NIVIDA XFC GTX285 using RIVA TUNER for fan control
    1920x1080 23" HDMI montior
    350GB hard Drive
    Razor Gaming mouse
    Razor Lycosa Keyboard- AHH-MAZING!

  6. #6
    Joined
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Age
    45
    Posts
    13,194

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    Quote Originally Posted by tlemaste View Post
    I've got the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D. I'm running the speed tests now, and it looks like my burner is toast. It's only going at 1.58x.

    I guess it's time for Newegg.....
    Try running the burner at a slower speed. It may end up running much faster for you. You may have a bottle neck in your data transfer speed and if you can't send the data to the burner fast enough it'll have to stop burning, back up, re-read the data it just wrote to find where it stopped, and then start burning again.

    This can happen if you have a second device sharing the burner's IDE cable. For if the second device can not communicate at the same speed as the burner can, then both devices are slowed down to the same speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyguy08 View Post
    hey i quick question, my DVD burner did the same thing ok tested it ws only 2X bought a new one
    1)using the cdrw' i have now are fine TDK's
    2) bought new ones NX's and the make my computer sound like a vibrator!

    is that normal? put another TDK in and its silent werid huh

    sorry bout ur DVD burner, I have a Pioneer i paid 99 for
    Regretably, it is normal.

    Because of the high speeds burners operate at, any imperfections in the CD / DVD you are using will show up as vibration. The disk only has to have be out by a fraction of an ounce on one side to cause major vibration. This problem has only gotten worse as the media are now being made to lower and lower standards.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Wet Corners, NY
    Posts
    2,349

    Re: Help me with a slow burner problem....

    Thanks for all the input, but I believe I have it fixed now. I un-installed Nero, even went through the registry to get rid of everything; then I re-installed Nero 8 completely. Now my burner works. For some reason when I used Nero to burn a DL dvd it (Nero Burning Rom) got stuck at that speed. Even though I was using 16x single layer media it was stuck at the dl speed.

    I tried re-installing drivers, re-installing the device.... nothing worked until I re-installed Nero.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •