Windows Remote Desktop

Bah this thing is killing me. 2 PC's/3 OS

I have 2 PC's one running Vista Ultimate 64 the other dual boot Vista Ultimate 32/Win 7 32. I can't get RDC to work on either of them from outside my LAN. Internal IP's work fine and I can connect both ways on them but can't seem to get it to work from external. Is it possible that work firewall is blocking my connection?

I have RDC turned on, set up the users, both systems have Windows Firewall off, I did port forwarding in my router and yet I keep getting the error message

The client could not connect to the remote computer, remote connections might not be enabled yada yada yada.

In the past I was able to connect to both systems using Vista with both Radmin and RDC. Radmin does not work with Win 7 so that's out for the time being.

Is there something I'm missing or any suggestions to try? Can't figure out why it was working a few weeks ago but now it's not.

Thanks
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Re: Windows Remote Desktop

Have you tried connecting on a network other than your work one?

On your router, you are forwarding 3389 (RDP) port to the proper internal IP correct?

(walking back over the basics)
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    Have you tried connecting on a network other than your work one?

On your router, you are forwarding 3389 (RDP) port to the proper internal IP correct?

(walking back over the basics)
    one PC forwarded to 3389 one to 3390.

Weirdly enough I can use RDC at work to connect to other PC's on the LAN here so I don't think that is the issue. I know I've had this issue before but never remember what I do to fix it.

ok, so your mstsc.exe appears to function, just not remotely.

I'm assuming that neither IPort works when you try to get to it from work. Outside of Windows Firewall, is there any sort of firewall/antivirus that might be stopping it? Does your work firewall really manage outbound connections that tightly? Are you sure your home IP has not changed?

ok, so your mstsc.exe appears to function, just not remotely.

I'm assuming that neither IPort works when you try to get to it from work. Outside of Windows Firewall, is there any sort of firewall/antivirus that might be stopping it? Does your work firewall really manage outbound connections that tightly? Are you sure your home IP has not changed?
    running Avast free anti vir and hardware firewall on my D-link router. I'm able to remote access the router from the web from work and IP has not changed. I have static DHCP for internal IP's mapped to MAC address.

Hmmmmmm... Are you running Vista at work? If not, on your Vista boxes at home, are you allowing connections from users running any version of MSTSC or only the NLA version?

Hmmmmmm... Are you running Vista at work? If not, on your Vista boxes at home, are you allowing connections from users running any version of MSTSC or only the NLA version?
    No to Vista and yes to any version. but keep trying we'll get there eventually

Have you tried from any external network besides work? I can't get RDP to work from my work laptop at work, but when I go to my parent's it works fine. The company firewall is blocking the outbound RDP. Oh yeah, I can use RDP within the network at work just fine.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

I know this is slightly off topic, but if you are paranoid about RDP/MSTS security, below are the following things I do to RDP to certain boxes.

SSH+RDP: http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...esktopSSH.html

Securing RDP :
    http://www.mobydisk.com/techres/secu...e_desktop.html

I know MSTS in Vista/Server 2003 is much more improved, but old habits die hard.

If you trying to connect from home your going to need to port forward and setup a Ip redirect through no-ip.com or one of these similar sites. You wont be able to connect to your pc's without it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    If you trying to connect from home your going to need to port forward and setup a Ip redirect through no-ip.com or one of these similar sites. You wont be able to connect to your pc's without it.
    yeah i already have this. I was able to get it working on one PC at a time wven though in the past with changing the ports i was able to get it to work on 2 pc's on the network at the same time.

I'm moving on to try VNC as RDC kills my GPU folding when i log in and my Radmin does not support win 7 yet