Question server reboots, APC low?

Just wondering if the APC unit needing a new battery has anything to do with our server rebooting (on its own) once or twice a day at work?

Re: server reboots, APC low?

Have you checked the APC logs, and it would be a good idea to get a new battery.

Re: server reboots, APC low?

Well if your APC UPS unit is indicating that the battery needs to be replaced then it’s a good idea to do so. Without a good battery in your UPS unit it sort of defeats the purpose. As far as it being the “Cause” of your server reboots, well perhaps not the cause but it could be part of your problem.

If you have power problems on the line that your server is plugged into, your UPS unit can help by kicking in. Now that your battery needs to be replaced you no longer have the protection that a working UPS unit affords. So any problems on that line and your server goes down.

Two things you should do, first have an electrician check the power feeding your Server/UPS unit. Second replace your UPS battery.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Lightbulb Re: server reboots, APC low?

They still haven't replaced the battery........I guess all I can do is keep telling them that it's NOT a good idea to leave it like that. Good thing all the stuff I use off the server is also on my computer (err...'cept Internet access and e-mail but whatever...).

EDIT: still beeping.....I suspect if they don't hurry up and replace the $80 battery in the backup system that the server will crash very, very soon. I can only tell them so many times I guess.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 04-09-2009 at 12:29 PM.