Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dell Vostro - Hard Drive failure

I'm on a Dell Vostro 1700. It's on Vista Home Premium which is updated. It came with a Seagate 5400rpm 160gb hard drive.

Just recently, I tried backing up my ipod using copytrans and found it froze partly through it. So, I tried running a chkdsk on it. It froze. Then I thought, something must be wrong with my computer. I ran AVG for a virus scan, and it freezes halfway through. So, I tried a defrag. It froze halfway through. I tried a full chkdsk on my hard drive. It gets to stage 4 and freezes.

By freeze, I mean the mouse still works, but the OS has become unresponsive. I tried downloading Seagate Seatools and ran the Long Drive Generic and Self Tests. They failed. I tried the short generic and it passes. I'm still able to use the laptop. I'm posting on it right now. I can go into games and play them, do all sorts of stuff still. It's just this failure on scans or mass copying.

Any ideas?

Re: Dell Vostro - Hard Drive failure

Check the RAM. Google Memtest and get a bootable ISO from them. I'd suggest Memtest+. It is good to make sure the RAM is still in working order as that can cause weird problems, too.

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I tried downloading Seagate Seatools and ran the Long Drive Generic and Self Tests. They failed.

Any ideas?
    What errors did the failed test reference?

I'd do Memtest as well, but do one stick of RAM at a time.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

This is a laptop. How do I do that?

Seatools didn't come back with an error, at least from what I saw. All I saw in the log was a "Long Generic - FAIL"

I'll burn Memtest later tonight and try it. This is just...screwy that I can USE the laptop just fine, but intensive hd activity has issues. I'm wondering if I should try a reformat if the memory test comes back ok.

If the long test failed, it's probably the HD, but testing the memory is free and eliminates the problem being there. It stands to reason a short test passes and a long test fails, it mimics your problems. You may have bad sectors or un readable sections on the drive. How full is it?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

it's formatted to 136GB. It has 15/136GB free. Hmm.

15 GB free out of 136? Almost 90% filled....It's waaaaaaaay too full. No wonder it cannot do large file transfers....there's nowhere for the data to go. Migrate to a bigger HD would be the quickest. 500 GB are under $80 when on sale.

You used a defragger?
    Uninstall some unused stuff, offload files no longer used to another drive, usb memory, burn to DVD'/CD's, et. Make some room and your problem may disappear!

Spoiler!

Well, when I first started freezing, it had like 85GB free. That was when I was trying to back up my iPod and it froze during the copying process.

It's time for a new drive then.

Spoiler!

How do you replace a drive in a laptop?

Memtest was ran overnight and went fine.

How do you replace a drive in a laptop?

Memtest was ran overnight and went fine.
    If you don't have the hardware to do it, I'd take it to a reputable repair place.

Spoiler!

Could the fact that I leave the laptop on for long periods of time, as in overnight and while I'm in transit somewhere, like in a car, be having this effect? I just never took the time to reboot that often when I realized I could just close the lid and it went into hibernation.

I doubt it. Have you ever used a program to clean out unecessary files or to defrag the drive?

Spoiler!

No. I'm going to try defrag'ing once more today. If it fails, I'm going to look into a new drive. Seems a 500GB drive isn't that expensive.

No. I'm going to try defrag'ing once more today. If it fails, I'm going to look into a new drive. Seems a 500GB drive isn't that expensive.
    Bingo!

Spoiler!