Page 183 of 291 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 4360

Thread: President Obama

Re: President Obama

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    After seeing the source of this channel as well as the editing of the video, your point is what scooter? That only pimping by is what we should watch?
    What editing of the video? If you are going to make the claim... it'd sure be nice if you provided the proof to back it up. Did Carney NOT say it's "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved"? My point was that Carney/P-Turtle and Wasshername Schultzie are swimming in glue. The overwhelming evidence directly contradicts their claims as does pooblic opinion.

Yes it's another video posted by repuggies this time of MSDNC. When you lose David Gregory....

As to the rest you infer. It's a clip from CNN's coverage.. not the GOP. Have an issue with CNN covering Carney? Take it up with CNN.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    What editing of the video? If you are going to make the claim... it'd sure be nice if you provided the proof to back it up. Did Carney NOT say it's "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved"? My point was that Carney/P-Turtle and Wasshername Schultzie are swimming in glue. The overwhelming evidence directly contradicts their claims as does pooblic opinion.

Yes it's another video posted by repuggies this time of MSDNC. When you lose David Gregory....

As to the rest you infer. It's a clip from CNN's coverage.. not the GOP. Have an issue with CNN covering Carney? Take it up with CNN.
    Oh calm down. You have to admit that posting a NRC video that cuts off the speaker midsentance while complaining about party platforms is both editing and funny.

Perhaps you never knew it but •••• Gregory was critical of Jimmy Carter so unless you are pulling the race card out for play, I see nothing out of the ordinary for him regarding democrats. And CNN? What are you inferring? I was clear in my opinion based on what you posted at the time and asked you a question.

As to public opinion? How are the Republicans doing these days? Want to go there because my opinion is that they are just as responsible and haven't done much to support our president, and public opinion seems to agree with me on that based on the last poll I reviewed.

And yes, I saw your question to me. It was followed by a statement that pretty much says it wasn't a question. Just so I don't have to have this sidetracked any more than you've already tried. Remember I remember the post of yours I addressed. You used the NRC to criticize a spokesperson of the opposing side. I still find that as funny as all your namecalling to show your dislike for Democrats. As if that wasn't obvious.

Did Carney state it's "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved"? -Yes

Is that a demonstrability false claim? -Yes.

Have you offered up anything to refute any of what I posted? -No.

So here we are. Me with a post you've yet to demonstrate is false in any way, shape or form. And you with... nuthin'.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Did Carney state it's "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved"? -Yes

Is that a demonstrability false claim? -Yes.

Have you offered up anything to refute any of what I posted? -No.

So here we are. Me with a post you've yet to demonstrate is false in any way, shape or form. And you with... nuthin'.

Gee whiz scooter. You really won't allow me to make a point without digging your heels in with repeated responses. Have you refuted mine? Nope.

Since you insist...

Do we have failing banks, brokers, loans, and auto manufacturers?

Where's our stock market right now? IRA investments? Unemployment?

You confuse the difference between where we are now compared to then, and where promises were made that you will not forget. We are better now. And I never listen to politician promises. Want to open that door?

Gee whiz scooter. You really won't allow me to make a point without digging your heels in with repeated responses. Have you refuted mine? Nope.
    I won't allow you? I'm not sure how you think that works out when I'm simply replying directly to your posts. And yes, I surely have refuted everything you posted up and you've come back with... nuthin".

Since you insist...
    Replying to your posts does not = insisting. It simply means I'm replying to your posts.

Do we have failing banks, brokers, loans, and auto manufacturers?

Where's our stock market right now? IRA investments? Unemployment?

You confuse the difference between where we are now compared to then, and where promises were made that you will not forget. We are better now. And I never listen to politician promises. Want to open that door?
    Where we are now vs. where we were then.

29 months ago...

Carney's Bark About 'Vastly Improved' Economy Since Obama's Inauguration Has No Bite, and Almost No Coverage

. . .

The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in January 2009 was 7.8%. As of June 2011, it was 9.2%.

The seasonally adjusted number of unemployed in January 2009 was 11.984 million. As of June 2011, it was 14.087 million, which doesn't include millions of others who have dropped out of the workforce or who are working part-time though they'd prefer not to.

The seasonally adjusted number of people employed was 133.563 million according to the survey of employers in January 2009. As of June 2011, it was 131.017 million.

On the economic growth side, as shown here, if the economy grew by an annualized 2% in the second quarter of this year, cumulative growth since the fourth quarter of 2008 will have been just shy of 4%, and per-capita growth would have been about 2%, or a barely noticeable average of 0.2% per quarter over ten quarters. Trouble is, Goldman Sachs just trimmed their second-quarter growth estimate to 1.5%. Goldman also wrote last Friday evening that a return to recession is "clearly a possibility given the recent numbers." Some "improvement," Jay.

Some, including Jeff Reeves at MarketWatch, are predicting that the unemployment rate could reach 10%

. . .

&

The auto industry? We just sold what we still owned of Chrysler for a tidy loss of 1.3 Billion. Add that to the 4 Billion of debit we forgave and the 3.5 Billion Obama "loaned" Fiat to buy them.

Chrysler cost taxpayers much more than the reported 1.3 billion loss

Peachy there.. let's move on to GubbermentMotors. They are just about back to where they started before they were bailed out:

Uh oh: GM backlog looking a lot like 2008

Nope.. no "confusion" here. How about you show that it's: "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved".

**EDIT** Heck.. I almost forgot the housing market that kicked off this whole schebang. You know.. Fannie and Freddie are running in the black now right? Home prices.. defaults.. starts.. All "Vastly" better now right?
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 07-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.

-The Gipper

I won't allow you? I'm not sure how you think that works out when I'm simply replying directly to your posts. And yes, I surely have refuted everything you posted up and you've come back with... nuthin".

Replying to your posts does not = insisting. It simply means I'm replying to your posts.

Where we are now vs. where we were then.

29 months ago...

Carney's Bark About 'Vastly Improved' Economy Since Obama's Inauguration Has No Bite, and Almost No Coverage

&

The auto industry? We just sold what we still owned of Chrysler for a tidy loss of 1.3 Billion. Add that to the 4 Billion of debit we forgave and the 3.5 Billion Obama "loaned" Fiat to buy them.

Chrysler cost taxpayers much more than the reported 1.3 billion loss

Peachy there.. let's move on to GubbermentMotors. They are just about back to where they started before they were bailed out:

Uh oh: GM backlog looking a lot like 2008

Nope.. no "confusion" here. How about you show that it's: "uncontestably true that the economy has vastly improved".

**EDIT** Heck.. I almost forgot the housing market that kicked off this whole schebang. You know.. Fannie and Freddie are running in the black now right? Home prices.. defaults.. starts.. All "Vastly" better now right?

Stock market from 8000 to over 12,000.

Business holding a record $2 Trillion dollars in cash reserves.
    Lenders sent fewer notices of default to regional borrowers in the first half of 2011 than they have since 2006, possibly signaling the waning days of a four-year foreclosure crisis.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/business/arti...#ixzz1SsGSOXkD
    Yes. My opinion is it has improved.

Edit:
    Scooter your spin is worse than the spin Obama placed on this. The total loss that was forgiven was 1.3 Billion. That includes both the Bush Bailout and the Obama Bailout of Chrysler. Obama looks at his portion paid in full plus more, while the Bush money was lost due to the bankruptcy. That's why it was "forgiven". Chrysler is actually in good shape and GM still has more employees on the books today than in 2009.
    Last edited by otoc; 07-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.

John Boehner walks away from debt talks

I'm looking forward to hearing Obama's side of this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out $4 trillion isn't just tax increases and no program cuts, while a constitutional ammendment is something that takes a lot longer than the deadline to initiate. Besides, we have control over Congress through the voting process which is something the last election showed. Boehner had a chance to strike a deal and piss off the Democrats in terms of Obama. Interesting that he chose not to take advantage of that and walk away to show how the House GOP is inflexible to compromize while holding the debt ceiling as hostage to budget talks.
    House Speaker John Boehner has walked away from negotiations with President Obama over a deal to raise the debt limit.

"In the end, we couldn't connect. Not because of different personalities, but because of different visions for our country," Boehner said in a letter to colleagues. He said Mr. Obama " is emphatic that taxes have to be raised" and "adamant that we cannot make fundamental changes to our entitlement programs."

"For these reasons, I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," he said. (Read the letter here)

House Republican leadership aides told CBS News that Boehner will work with the Senate leadership in an attempt to reach a deal that meets the GOP's two central requirements: That spending cuts are equal to or greater than debt limit increase and that there are no new taxes.

Without action, the debt limit will be breached on August 2 - 11 days from now - potentially plunging the U.S. economy into chaos. A GOP leadership aide said Boehner has set next Wednesday as the date by which the House must pass a bill in order to get it signed into law in time, with both the House and Senate presenting some sort of plan to members Monday.

Boehner and the president have been seeking a "grand bargain" of perhaps $4 trillion in deficit reduction, but have faced stiff resistance from lawmakers in both parties. Most Republicans say they will not accept revenue increases in the deal, while most Democrats say any deal must include revenue increases as well as spending cuts. Democrats have also chafed at reports that the deal could include significant cuts to entitlement programs.
    Edit:
    Debt talks break down; "We have run out of time"
    The deal on the table, as Mr. Obama laid it out, included more than $1 trillion in cuts to domestic and defense discretionary spending, as well as $650 billion in cuts to entitlement programs - Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. He said he asked for approximately $1.2 trillion in revenue increases that he said would have come from eliminating loopholes and deductions and engaging in broad tax reform, not hiking tax rates.

The deal, he said, called for less in tax increases than the deal worked out by the bipartisan "Gang of Six" negotiators, while including as much in discretionary savings. He said if the deal was unbalanced, "it was unbalanced in the direction of not enough revenue."

"It is hard to understand why Speaker Boehner would walk away from this kind of deal and frankly, if you look at the commentary out there, there are a lot of Republicans that are puzzled as to why it couldn't get done," he said. "In fact, there are a lot of Republican voters out there who are puzzled as to why it couldn't get done.
    Unreal...and time to raise taxes for those making over $1Million with cuts that will certainly be felt by those on the lower end
    Last edited by otoc; 07-22-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added deal....

So who's going to blink first?

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    So who's going to blink first?
    Obama already blinked. He offered no tax increases which would piss his party off because that was a no compromize point with them.

Now it's not about blinking.

Obama scolds GOP as debt talks break down: 'Where's the leadership?'

"This was an extraordinarily fair deal. If it was unbalanced, it was unbalanced in the direction of not enough revenue," Obama said. "It is hard to understand why Speaker Boehner would walk away from this kind of deal."

Boehner told his Republican colleagues the White House was "simply not serious about ending the spending binge that is destroying jobs and endangering our children's future." A deal was "never really close," he wrote late Friday.

The two leaders had built a cordial relationship during both the budget agreement in April and the weeks-long debt ceiling talks.

But Obama chided the Ohio Republican, saying that at times Friday he could not even get a phone call returned.

"I've been left at the altar now a couple of times," he said. "And I think that one of the questions that the Republican Party's going to have to ask itself is, can they say yes to anything?"

Framing the issue in political terms, he said Democrats have "shown ourselves willing to do the tough stuff, on an issue that Republicans ran on."

"So far I have not seen the capacity of the House Republicans in particular to make those tough decisions. And so then the question becomes, where's the leadership, or alternatively, how serious are you actually about debt and deficit reduction, or do you simply want it as a campaign ploy going into the next elections?"

Obama called the congressional leadership from both parties to the White House at 11 a.m. Saturday. Neither the House or Senate was due to be in session.

With the likelihood of a significant deal now likely scuttled, Obama said he would be willing to accept a "clean" debt ceiling increase "if they tell me that's the best they can do."

The parties could turn back to a legislative maneuver outlined by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell that had been seen as a fail-safe option.

"It's time now for the debate to move out of a room in the White House and on to the House and Senate floors where we can debate the best approach to reducing the nationís unsustainable debt," McConnell said in a statement.

Obama already blinked. He offered no tax increases...
    Boehner must have been lying then, when he claimed Obambi demanded tax increases be part of his "big deal", that for what its worth, had no specifics.

My favorite part of Obambi's demands... a deal that goes beyond the election... followed (or was it preceded?) by claims that he isn't acting politically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Boehner must have been lying then, when he claimed Obambi demanded tax increases be part of his "big deal", that for what its worth, had no specifics.

My favorite part of Obambi's demands... a deal that goes beyond the election... followed (or was it preceded?) by claims that he isn't acting politically.
    There were revenue increases but not individual tax increases so that the GOP pledge they signed could stand. Loopholes and deductions were the source. That's why Obama's offer was more than the Gang of 6.

As to Obama standing firm with the deficit ceiling holding through the next election? That is smart. Look at how this budget cycle happened. It has already been political.

I'm listening to Obama's remarks right now. I'm at the point where he said House GOP caucus members told Boehner that they were not in favor of any increase to the ceiling. Unreal.
    http://c-span.org/Events/Speaker-Boe...10737423029-7/

Call Obama whatever names you wish. Whatever criticism I've had toward him over this process has been redeemed. It was a fair balance and good offer that was more than the bi-partisan Senate proposal. I'd say the House GOP members are not dealing from a position of reality.

Stock market from 8000 to over 12,000.

Business holding a record $2 Trillion dollars in cash reserves.

Yes. My opinion is it has improved.
    Your opinion is in the extreme minority. Nearly as scant as your ability to provide examples of how things are "vastly" better.

Edit:

Scooter your spin is worse than the spin Obama placed on this. The total loss that was forgiven was 1.3 Billion. That includes both the Bush Bailout and the Obama Bailout of Chrysler. Obama looks at his portion paid in full plus more, while the Bush money was lost due to the bankruptcy. That's why it was "forgiven". Chrysler is actually in good shape and GM still has more employees on the books today than in 2009.
    Oh the "Bush" bailout. You mean the one that Obama requested and Bush complied with?

Obama to Bush: We Need an Auto Industry Bailout Now

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 10:59 a.m.

Speaking of spin...

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post

We have a man child in the WH. He has not offered anything since he floated that POS his own party and the GOP voted down unanimously in the Senate which would have increased the deficit a cool 10 Trillion. He called for a unconditional guarantee of a debit raise 6 months ago. The supposed "adult" in the room is as disingenuous as evar. His lil tantrum at the podium earlier today reinforces why Boehner says dealing with the WH is like dealing with a bowl of jello. As for his demand that the deal go beyond the election... classic. No way he wants more focus on the economy (even though it will be anyway) when people go to the booth. No wonder the House repuggies don't take him serious.

-The Gipper

There were revenue increases but not individual tax increases so that the GOP pledge they signed could stand. Loopholes and deductions were the source.
    Well, that's quite a change from "no tax increases". I don't buy the double speak... if they eliminate loopholes and deductions, they increase taxes. Its a math thing, not a semantics game.

Boehner said the talks broke down because he and the President had agreed to $800 billion in revenue increases (over 10 years), but Obama decided to jack that figure up to $1.2 trillion.
    Whatever criticism I've had toward him over this process has been redeemed.
    So you're all in for the Obambi way now? Is that really a change for you?

1.2 trillion in tax/revenue increases over 10 years and 10 trillion(?) in spending cuts over 10 years. (?)

The taxes will certainly be collected but most of the spending cuts will never happen. Politicians are bigger liars than attorneys and used car salesmen.

It’s a Washington insiders shell game.
    Last edited by tucker; 07-22-2011 at 10:33 PM.