Page 2 of 327 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: President Obama

Re: President Obama

I await FoxNews' "BREAKING NEWS" report(s) on how an elderly civil rights leader's referencing of a Jim Crow-era protest song is "reverse racism" and indicative of the new administration's anti-white policies. And......go Sean Hannity!
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Well, the song I can understand and not be offended by. The lame attempt at humor I personally find offensive. I am "yellow" and it implies I am not "mellow", it implies that "whites" do not embrace what is right, and that something is keeping "reds" from getting ahead? The song also says that "browns" could stick around and the Rev. is saying that they can't now? Must be those evil white people keeping them down... Or maybe even us non-mellow yellow people.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    Well, the song I can understand and not be offended by. The lame attempt at humor I personally find offensive. I am "yellow" and it implies I am not "mellow", it implies that "whites" do not embrace what is right, and that something is keeping "reds" from getting ahead? The song also says that "browns" could stick around and the Rev. is saying that they can't now? Must be those evil white people keeping them down... Or maybe even us non-mellow yellow people.
    Did you not read the song? The guy's prayer opened by quoting a song/poem and ended with another song. He played upon the protest song's lyrics with his "black/get back, brown/stick around, and white/right" business. And the whole benediction was a call for unity and the end of racism.

The references to yellow and red man are also obviously allusions to our shared racial history where we described people in those colors, and they're obviously rhyming patterns designed to fit with the black, white, and brown lyrics of the song and references to our culture itself (the song and drink Mello(w)-Yellow). I guess we should just ignore the man's poetic and historical allusions and ignore the context of his own personal history and of the speech itself, which includes lines like this:

And now, Lord, in the complex arena of human relations, help us to make choices on the side of love, not hate; on the side of inclusion, not exclusion; tolerance, not intolerance.
    Last edited by Orangutan; 01-21-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Man. You guys heard all of that in the speech? All I heard was, " blaa. blaaaa. blaa. "

I am getting sick of the MSM and those close to Obama compare him to Lincoln and Kennedy. Lets wait until he ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING besides win an election to make references like that.

This inauguration cost something like $160 MILLION. Where were all the pundits that criticized the $40 million Bush inauguration. Oh! They were proclaiming and praising the glorious event.
    Liquid Ninja's DCS is gone...

Anyone think the SC Justices were giving them waaaay too long of bites to recite? Like "Here, repeat this paragraph after me" ?

Obama gave a good speech and looks ready to get to work.
    Didn't vote for him, but let's see how he does. He's got surprises waiting for him just like every other incoming President.

Well like President Obama said, it is up to all of us to come together and make this country whole again. Make the world whole. I sincerely hope all of us can do that, and find peace on Earth. Amen.

Funny how when it leaps of Will's keyboard its better received than when the McCain aid said basically the same thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

In my opinion? No recession is over until the collective "we" feels confidant enough to spend again. Having a job is also a plus.
    A job created by the private sector....that senses a climate where the expenditure is justified.

I was a little surprised no one has picked up on this one:

Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age.
    I'm really curious what this "new age" looks like. These words may haunt us....
    Last edited by AeroSim; 01-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Judge Suspends Guantanamo Case at Obama's Request
    In one of its first actions, the Obama administration instructed military prosecutors late Tuesday to seek a 120-day suspension of legal proceedings involving detainees at the naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba -- a clear break with the approach of the outgoing Bush administration.
    George Carlin
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Funny how when it leaps of Will's keyboard its better received than when the McCain aid said basically the same thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

In my opinion? No recession is over until the collective "we" feels confidant enough to spend again. Having a job is also a plus.
    A job created by the private sector....that senses a climate where the expenditure is justified.
    I had trouble reading Will's piece. To me it rambled about in an attempt to make a point and instead never focused. Was this a critique of the speech or of presumed policy, or of the nation?

Maybe it's me. I was out late last night but I had no trouble understanding your point at all.
    George Carlin
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    That's because he's George Will and not John McCain. He has a way with words, as opposed to a way with being a politician who managed to get where he is without that.

Obama's very slick. He makes statements without giving and cause or reasoning behind it leaving it to you to interpret what he means, thus he is supporting your views whatever they may be. Example making statments like "we need to get back to science". Without saying how we strayed or how he intends to do this. Leave the interpretation of what he means to the listener. He could be speaking of space travel or stem cells or whatever.

Either way he is a noob. And me ( with multi-cultural relatives) and my asian gf are both sick of all the race crap comming from obama and his segregates.

" and white will do right" or whatever that guy said. Maybe he should watch some civil rights videos and take note that a large percentage of the people there are white. And that no matter what he wants to say, they would not of gained there freedom without the help of a white man. Like i said, i myself am not entirely white. But none the less. i take offence to statements like this.

And I take it that you did not actually read much of the thread.

The whole racism thing is never going to go away if they keep bringing it up. Everytime I hear "The nations first black President", I think racism. Why can't he just be the new President?

Why do they have to keep going there?
    Nuke em'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    The whole racism thing is never going to go away if they keep bringing it up. Everytime I hear "The nations first black President", I think racism. Why can't he just be the new President?

Why do they have to keep going there?
    Because that's what it is. Kennedy was known as first Catholic president.

Considering the history of the country, the fact that one generation after the crow laws were abolished and national guards units were placed in various school districts to allow kids to attend the same schools, this is actually pretty neat. What changes I've seen in my short lifetime and contrary to what some said in the sense that he wouldn't be elected because of his race, this is really something that we should be proud of instead of trying to ignore.

I'm white and celebrating the fact that this country has elected it's first black president and now can move on.

I guess it's all how you look at it. What you consider racism is something that I consider a transition away from it.

George Washington was the first President to be on a postage stamp. His face is also on the $1 bill and the quarter.
    John Adams was the first President to live in the White House. Mrs. Adams hung her wash in the East Room.
    Thomas Jefferson was the first President to be inaugurated in Washington, DC. and he grew the first tomatoes in America. He was also the first President to shake hands instead of bow.
    James Madison was the first President to wear long trousers instead of knee breeches, every day.
    Andrew Jackson was the first President to ride on a train.
    Millard Fillmore was the first President to have a bathtub with running water. He was also the first President to have a stove in the White House.
    Rutherford B. Hayes was the first President to have a telephone in the White House.
    Benjamin Harrison was the first President to have a Christmas Tree in the White House.
    James Buchanan was the first unmarried man to be elected President.
    Abraham Lincoln was the first President to be assassinated.
    Andrew Johnson never went to school. His wife taught him to read and write.
    Theodore Roosevelt was the first President to ride in a car. He was the first American to receive a Nobel Prize. He received it in 1906 for helping to settle the Russo-Japanese War.
    William Howard Taft was the first President to have a car at the White House. He was also the first President to throw out the first ball at the beginning of the Major League Baseball season in 1910.
    Woodrow Wilson was the first President to hold regular news briefings.
    Calvin Coolidge was the first President to make a radio broadcast.
    Herbert Hoover's son Alan had pet alligators that meandered around the White House.
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the first to appear on television when he opened the New York World's Fair in 1939. He was the first President to appoint a woman, Frances Perkins, as a Cabinet member (Secretary of Labor.) He was also the first President to have a Presidential plane.
    John F. Kennedy was the first Catholic elected President. He was also the first President who was a Boy Scout.
    The first President to resign from office was Richard Milhous Nixon.
    Jimmy Carter was the first President to be born in a hospital.
    Ronald Reagan was the first President to have been divorced and the first to wear contact lens.
    Bill Clinton was the first President to be a Rhodes Scholar.
    And when the first asian or hispanic or woman gets elected into office it will be another first.
    Last edited by otoc; 01-21-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added firsts
    George Carlin